Jump to content

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards


Recommended Posts

The air near Daventry has been cool and good all day under grey cloud(with a 2 hour storm this morning).

The last half hour has seen the temperature rise by 4 degrees and the humidity has skyrocketed, its like walking in Florida in August.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A beautiful altocumulus castellanus sunrise this morning. 

Oo she's a beauty 

My first attempt at storm shots 🤷‍♂️ (Please don't judge 🤣) The cells are impressive tonight! 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, matt111 said:

Parallelogram of Silence. Covers Hants, Dorset and Wilts apart from the area covered by the SOR. Understand that? :oldrofl: 

I've forgotten what the sor was now lol

 Someone pm me the glossary lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

If anyone was just driving around in Berkshire and had BBC Radio Berkshire on I just did a piece to radio about the storms.

The lady sounded like she enjoyed it and said she learnt some stuff so all good

BBC Radio Somerset Tomorrow lol

Just listened on here. Go back to 20:40

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_berkshire

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sam Jackson said:

something is coming across the channel by hastings and folkstone and something has just poped up south of worthing 

Make the two meet in the middle right opposite bexhill and I’ll celebrate like mad

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to say it but I think today was a peak for thunderstorms in the south 😩

The following days are unlikely to have any significant severe element. Frustrating that the energy was supposedly used up by today’s storms. But today’s storms weren’t particularly severe, all elevated.

Not really happy tbh. Where on Earth is our big event?

All that discomfort has come to nothing 😡

Cherry on top is that there won’t be enough heat tomo to make the storms severe...

ITS BEEN RIDICULOUSLY HOT ALL WEEK WHATYFHECK?!?!?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Hate to say it but I think today was a peak for thunderstorms in the south 😩

The following days are unlikely to have any significant severe element. Frustrating that the energy was supposedly used up by today’s storms. But today’s storms weren’t particularly severe, all elevated.

Not really happy tbh. Where on Earth is our big event?

All that discomfort has come to nothing 😡

Cherry on top is that there won’t be enough heat tomo to make the storms severe...

ITS BEEN RIDICULOUSLY HOT ALL WEEK WHATYFHECK?!?!?

Here here utter pants

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IanieKetchup said:

Are there any other lightning detectors? Only 1 out of 20 flashes being registered on lightning maps? Do they only register more powerful lightning or something? 

I'm guessing its cause it all high based but I no expert

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Hate to say it but I think today was a peak for thunderstorms in the south 😩

The following days are unlikely to have any significant severe element. Frustrating that the energy was supposedly used up by today’s storms. But today’s storms weren’t particularly severe, all elevated.

Not really happy tbh. Where on Earth is our big event?

All that discomfort has come to nothing 😡

Cherry on top is that there won’t be enough heat tomo to make the storms severe...

ITS BEEN RIDICULOUSLY HOT ALL WEEK WHATYFHECK?!?!?

Yesterday was one of the best storm days around Oxford to Swindon area for years. Setups like this always some who miss out unfortunately 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Aqbadger said:

Yesterday was one of the best storm days around Oxford to Swindon area for years. Setups like this always some who miss out unfortunately 

But I was talking about SE and central areas. Yesterday storms up to about Andover were mostly elevated with hardly any visible lightning until just before it moved north of the M4

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Hate to say it but I think today was a peak for thunderstorms in the south 😩

The following days are unlikely to have any significant severe element. Frustrating that the energy was supposedly used up by today’s storms. But today’s storms weren’t particularly severe, all elevated.

Not really happy tbh. Where on Earth is our big event?

All that discomfort has come to nothing 😡

Cherry on top is that there won’t be enough heat tomo to make the storms severe...

ITS BEEN RIDICULOUSLY HOT ALL WEEK WHATYFHECK?!?!?

I share your frustration - the last time I had a proper thunderstorm in the UK was 2014.
Yet we could very easily have decent thunderstorms any time in the next 4 days - maybe the slightly lower potential will work in our favour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This cheeky little rain storm is still going, keeps stopping and starting and stopping and starting.... pity it's warm..... the rain is warm... the almost non-existent zephyrus breeze is warm.... 😭 why...... 😭

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jamesthemonkeh said:

I share your frustration - the last time I had a proper thunderstorm in the UK was 2014.
Yet we could very easily have decent thunderstorms any time in the next 4 days - maybe the slightly lower potential will work in our favour.

As long as it’s not this rumbling elevated stuff we seem to get all the time now. What happened to storms with normal infrequent CG and IC (forked) lightning?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...