Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into July 2020

Paul

Posted

Well I might as well drop this in the mix, it in my view is perhaps the most realistic, at least for the upper air pattern, being reasonably consistent for a few days

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Based on these then no real signal for a settled dry hot spell, just a mix, one decent day scattered amongst fairly unsettled with the so often NW-SE split.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Again - the less said about the CFS the better as well.

A70F6D4D-CC46-4A45-8185-E45A025E83FD.thumb.jpeg.a552b3d44670b4e2154b3c88b7f8fae6.jpeg

It forecast a very strong and persistent ridge over the UK/scandi for mid to late July. That turned out well....

I don't know how many millions of dollars is spent on this model, but they would be better spending it on something else. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, Ice Day said:

Not much change on the overnight runs, showing a real mixed bag for the next 10 days, some good, some bad (the south/south east fairing better - sorry ).  It currently looks like next weekend is going to be pretty awful, wet with depressed temperatures nationwide.  In fact, quite remarkable consistency between the ECM and GFS for 9 days from now 

image.thumb.png.a9077ac97c7b33c1d8344371153a32ca.pngimage.thumb.png.e1c1c6bc7591157e06a87b17b6e72814.png   

Both go on to promise something better from day 10 but too far out to worry about.

Yeah, spotted that rare cross-model agreement too a moment ago. It looks like a fairly nice week is on the cards until Friday/the weekend, when the Atlantic comes barreling in on both models.

Still no sign of anything plume-like, meaning we're likely going to end up with it having been over a year since the last one.

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
46 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Yeah, spotted that rare cross-model agreement too a moment ago. It looks like a fairly nice week is on the cards until Friday/the weekend, when the Atlantic comes barreling in on both models.

Still no sign of anything plume-like, meaning we're likely going to end up with it having been over a year since the last one.

image.thumb.png.113bd614986e9351a1d79050de67f128.pngimage.thumb.png.3c5fdbc0b19e1616da1323da7b4d181a.png

Do 16c uppers and four days of 29-33c maxima not count as a plume? Or just regular hot weather!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 hours ago, NApplewhite said:

GFS models agree - very heavy rain over England and Wales for the period 24th July to 27th July 2020 with large precipitation amounts and suppressed temperatures. 

Long range forecasts on the brilliant Accuweather (what models do they use) are indicating a very warm and dry period August 10th to August 31st 2020 across the UK.

Manchester_August_2020.PNG

August_2020_Wrexham.PNG

I posted the EC weeklies last night up til around 11th of August... Just had another gander further a field and it tends to be going for a better August than anything in July... Ridging is more prevalent, especially into England and Wales. This trend is showing right into the backend of the month.. So as it stands... The 46 looks pretty decent for next month... Only time will tell.. But let me just say, this is a much more thorough and efficient model than the CFS.. I hope its onto something. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.113bd614986e9351a1d79050de67f128.pngimage.thumb.png.3c5fdbc0b19e1616da1323da7b4d181a.png

Do 16c uppers and four days of 29-33c maxima not count as a plume? Or just regular hot weather!

I think most people think of the plume ending in fireworks, back in June the highly unstable mid-levels that I think defines a true plume never really reached our shores so would it was just regular hot weather? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I think most people think of the plume ending in fireworks, back in June the highly unstable mid-levels that I think defines a true plume never really reached our shores so would it was just regular hot weather? 

Agreed, it was almost a plume. Close, but no cigar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Theres no getting around this outlook.... its pretty dire, and IF this pattern establishes, then theres no quick way back to anything summery . Whats concerning is the cross model support plus anomaly support.. Autumn starts next weekend?

test8.gif

814day.03.gif

GFSOPEU06_240_2.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Interestingly enough the Euro 46 suggests a significant rise in AAM..

spacer.png

It will be interesting to see if it transpires however. With the large trade burst currently underway I wonder if it’s picking up too much on the relative rise afterwards.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Well, this summer clearly isn’t the best, blah blah etc etc..what’s new?..recent years we are used to crap winters ain’t we?..so let’s deal with what’s in front of us and actually there are some decent signs next week, at least for a time and especially across the south..so, quit moaning and just accept what we have!..and remember, even after July there is still another 4 weeks of the meteorological summer to enjoy / endure!

A290C716-4A63-48A2-9E8B-E36749387DE3.thumb.gif.87e9b7c68c2bb0db79613d123ae6e2e4.gif8FF9A53E-BC3F-42CE-ADFF-6873F46772A6.thumb.png.a080e9423d08c8a44ebc4e43f424770c.png

• Like 8

Posted

GFS6z is possibly the worst run since 2012.

spacer.png

Posted
47 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

spacer.png

It will be interesting to see if it transpires however. With the large trade burst currently underway I wonder if it’s picking up too much on the relative rise afterwards.

spacer.png

I was just going to mention this! Latest ECM has Scandi blocking into the first week of August. Simon Lee has said caution needed though with such a wild swing from a day ago, and the models could be picking this signal up incorrectly. Matt Hugo rightly points out that the Pacific basin is still in a highly suppressed state are forecast to remain that way into August, which would work against any rise in AAM.

Posted

Sounding by the looks of things better make the most of this week's weather while you still can 

To be fair it has been quite a nice summer sure it's not been too hot or hasn't broken any records but being nice and cool at times has helped

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Last couple of runs follow a similar path, which is nice, but... difficult to ignore the fact that every single run forecasts almost exactly the same rise in AAM, so it's a challenge to take it at all seriously...

Posted

The obvious question here is whether anybody can explain what a wave packet is without me having to read a research paper.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

So some signs of perhaps an increase in AAM  through August, going on the ECM ectended last night, perhaps Tams could shed some light on this at some point. It was quite a different run from the Monday one though. More prevalent ridging and a decrease in rainfall amounts.. 

The general situation for anyone wanting to get away for a break abroad is a very positive one.. Central and Southern Spain remaining hot with loads of Summer conditions there. No surprises there really! Italy and Greece much the same, also some very warm conditions for the low countries at times through next month being flagged up. Plenty of warmth in France, and very warm/hot conditions in Southern France.. Over to the USA and there is lots of heat towards the Eastern Seaboard and out to the mid west, this very warm air also effecting the Eastern Seaboard at times.. Some warmth also to be found into Southern Canada also at times. Not sure to many folk would want to travel to the USA currently anyway with the Covid situation. 

I think Tamara as now posted so I'll see what she as to say.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
28 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The obvious question here is whether anybody can explain what a wave packet is without me having to read a research paper.

In physics contexts a wave packet is a waveform which is enveloped by a second function whose profile decays away from a point in space, thus resulting in a "pulse". This wiki page gives more detail and contains some animations which describe what I mean:

Wave_packet_%28no_dispersion%29.gif
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

However, as someone with a physics background I find jargon we often use in physics can be used slightly differently (or more loosely) in meteorological settings, so whether this is useful information or not is best left for someone else to clarify.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Relativistic said:

In physics contexts a wave packet is a waveform which is enveloped by a second function whose profile decays away from a point in space, thus resulting in a "pulse". This wiki page gives more detail and contains some animations which describe what I mean:

Wave_packet_%28no_dispersion%29.gif
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

However, as someone with a physics background I find jargon we often use in physics can be used slightly differently (or more loosely) in meteorological settings, so whether this is useful information or not is best left for someone else to clarify.

Nope - the same principle applies in weather terms. This is a good illustration of how they act on the weather.

14B7302A-1BEE-4367-A3EA-4695282132FC.thumb.png.f95bd3e284beece08cd0f705bbeebdf5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Now this is pretty decent from the 12z GFS :oldgood:

gfseuw-0-354.thumb.png.1c7876fb09d883a03d5b17e21e2a2056.png   gfseuw-1-354.thumb.png.8b21a8c0605639268979a64ebbc4a307.png

Shame it's into the unreliable timeframe...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
56 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

One post on the 12z’s, which is a GFS FI chart. No need to even look at the models as this tells me all I need to know!

It’s a bit Meh , but no washout on the Ukmo .

AB709AC2-60C7-4586-BCB2-60E66B9CD05D.gif

70015EC8-3540-4980-8EBE-7420E86BFECB.gif

Edited by Mark wheeler
Spelling
  • Like 5

Posted
55 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

It’s a bit Meh , but no washout in the Ukmo .

AB709AC2-60C7-4586-BCB2-60E66B9CD05D.gif

70015EC8-3540-4980-8EBE-7420E86BFECB.gif

Yes Mark.. I pointed out last night from the weeklies about perhaps not a washout.. Tonight's ECM brings a decent week for the whole before trending more unsettled.. But it looks far from a washout.. Quite a slack pattern infact.. So perhaps some areas drier while others could get some big downpours. 

Bit of a ridge by day 9.

ECM1-96.gif

ECM1-120.gif

ECM1-144.gif

ECM1-168.gif

ECM1-192.gif

ECM1-216.gif

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Nice end to the 12z ECM for the south

@240

ECM1-240 (1).gif

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Nice end to the 12z ECM for the south

@240

ECM1-240 (1).gif

Looks ok - big low isn’t really there at all! I’m not convinced just yet, but the 00z wasn’t bad either at day 10.

• Like 2