Sign in to follow this  
Supacell

Storms and convective discussion - 18th June 2020 onwards

Just now, Harry said:

Are you at home and did you definitely hear thunder? To quote Independence Day, “it ain’t on the map” ?

Im so sure I heard something ? looks like it should be producing some lightning. Is that my share of today’s storms then lol

5 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

I think its avin' a larf now?

hiradarzoomv42_pl.thumb.png.470eed9e3b1ad59811abc43ce3a0f813.png

Spongebob minus his pants

• Like 2

Well that's pretty impressive seeing as Hull is 140 miles away!!!

20200626_185656.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

Spongebob minus his pants

Spongebob thunderpants

• Like 3

Several places recorded dew points of 20C, probably not the right place to discuss this but before 3-4years ago that would have been pretty unusual and more than likely been enough to set off significantly more storms than we've seen. Although there have clearly been a couple getting close to the severe category. 

7 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

I think its avin' a larf now?

hiradarzoomv42_pl.thumb.png.470eed9e3b1ad59811abc43ce3a0f813.png

I know mate, a cell has just popped up just west of Leeds might have our name on it 

Just now, Alderc said:

Several places recorded dew points of 20C, probably not the right place to discuss this but before 3-4years ago that would have been pretty unusual and more than likely been enough to set off significantly more storms than we've seen. Although there have clearly been a couple getting close to the severe category. 

Yep at one point today we hit 79/69 which mixed back to 86/64 this afternoon - pretty rare for Uk

Got some quite close thunder now and even some rain.

Timelapse of the potentially severe thunderstorm that departed to my north. You can see the strong updrafts having a pileus cloud, or cap, on top of them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A light shower ends our heatwave. No storms, no fun no thunder.  

• Sad 3

Got some stunning castlelanus moving up from the south here over the last 45 minutes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Got some stunning castlelanus moving up from the south here over the last 45 minutes

On the other side of that here, been some nice skyscapes going past, enough to be the best part of this pathetic plume! Lovely cool breeze now, got all the windows wide open to try and get it into the house while it lasts! Need some sleep tonight!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Duplicate post

Edited by Lance M

11 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Timelapse of the potentially severe thunderstorm that departed to my north. You can see the strong updrafts having a pileus cloud, or cap, on top of them.

Lovely. Needs more death metal though.

• Like 1

Ended up taking a tour of the service stations of the A1, all the way up to Scotch Corner!

Spotted plenty of decent lightning on the way from that big storm that tracked all the way from the Leeds area it seems, and managed to avoid the main precip core all the way.

An afternoon well spent in my book and it certainly beats being at work!

• Like 6

Is it worth it to stay up overnight for the the SE?  

There has been distant thunder on and off for the last 3 hours or so. Some very heavy rain at times and gusty winds but no impressive lightning or particularly loud cracks of thunder. Radar to my south currently looks interesting though!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Fantastic stuff ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mesoscale said:

Is it worth it to stay up overnight for the the SE?  

For Noctilucent clouds ?

Only if there are clear skies

• Like 2

Not a bad little storm passed through here,Consett probably had the best of it.