Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion 17/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
Just now, syed2878 said:

and that yellow warning for snow and ice overnight from the Met office has now just been cancelled

Yeah now only cover north Shropshire and north Staffordshire, to be expected given how most models have shifted the precip out west into Wales. Not really too bothered as there will be plenty more opportunities over the next 10 days at least from either the north or east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)
10 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

and that yellow warning for snow and ice overnight from the Met office has now just been cancelled

Yes, just seen. Oh well. Onwards to the next one ❄️

Posted

Feeling fairly resigned to having had the best snowfall behind us (for now) which overall i cant really complain too much. Think any snowfall in the next few days is going to be transient at best, so it's just a case of seeing what january can throw at us if a proper easterly does develop!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

Feeling fairly resigned to having had the best snowfall behind us (for now) which overall i cant really complain too much. Think any snowfall in the next few days is going to be transient at best, so it's just a case of seeing what january can throw at us if a proper easterly does develop!

Aye, think so, but 2 great events, January 3rd next chance? Wash streamers for at least 3 days possible, then uncertain after 7th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Still about 60% snow cover as last night it turned to ice. Pretty lethal on pavements and side roads. Tomoz looks a bust now but not to fussed after the snow we have had over the past few days. Any snow will be extremely marginal as milder air is wrapped around so highest ground in North Mids might get a covering. Onwards and upwards into th New year with snow chances aplenty. Stay safe evreone.

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Only the Euro4 is left showing snow for the north west of the region tomorrow. Does look like a bust.

Such a shame!!anyway over to the weekend and next week!!

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Only the Euro4 is left showing snow for the north west of the region tomorrow. Does look like a bust.

Ireland event mainly, may get few flurries as on harmonie model

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Ireland event mainly, may get few flurries as on harmonie model

Euro4 still shows a few cm here but the trend is to reduce it on each run.

Posted

Here in the Black Country, it’s probably best to quit while we’re ahead. I don’t know if our luck could have continued with the temperatures and dew points so close to marginal.

I’m sorry for other parts of the West Midlands who haven’t had anything yet. I work on the railways on local routes. Last night I was working on trains to the Airport and trains to Wolverhampton. Two completely different experiences and it was sad to see no snow east of Birmingham. I hope more areas get to join in next time.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Models are definitely not promising for snowfall across the region in the short-term, as reflected by the MetO warnings. Perhaps a few flurries at best but even that will be isolated. Having said that, there do seem to be opportunities in early/mid Janaury for snow events!

Picture1.thumb.png.39a21d9a471fb557d6d512ec1527cbd2.png

Edited by xSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

There doesn't look to be much on offer before the weekend although the short range models suggest a few showers/flurries may appear towards the nw Midlands through the gap now and then-couple of snapshots from the ukv model.

cg.thumb.png.dcf46d0ac29803d3e7b27e1e49722e80.pnggc2.thumb.png.14e90106ef2dd2130f9fd577b3003b98.png

However as the flow turns more easterly by Sunday then it does look more promising for us-with colder uppers and bands of snow showers setting up and modeled to come well inland from the north sea.

These from the nw med range model.The fax added from the 00z run showing the trough line within the flow just heading in from the east coast.

644303254_viewimage(2).thumb.png.9b9ad980acab1a39cd04ce8fa1c8d6e4.png1816610201_viewimage(1).thumb.png.b7801447c63a2db9628913c57efd4428.png
555468745_fax120s(1).thumb.gif.33dd02ce21fa1258ea1f036b49509e1e.gif

Things may adjust nearer the time of course but for now our chances look better starting next week with a colder easterly flow over a warmer sea.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Yes looks like a no show with the likes of seeing snowfall Thursday/Friday

But some positives  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 850hpa table like this, it’s shows for the next 9 days low uppers (blue all the way) so if anything falls from our skies will more likely be ❄️❄️❄️Fall

As the saying goes “get the cold in first” this chart/table certainly says that

EF493CAE-399C-4B4A-AEBD-7D3FA05CA4ED.thumb.png.76f85b7bc1c471ddd930f1b9ab82a137.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Wonder what this will bring...

8E16A43C-DF63-4762-A3F8-8C3F8E93192C.jpeg

backtrack from NW thread, bit of snow then hail! I'm expecting just rain, maybe odd flake mixed in, wrong time of day

Posted
1 minute ago, wolvesman said:

Only a very slow thaw again today, this is Day 3 of the snow and still looks great. Quite a notable event given the current lack of real cold air.

7B5652E3-164C-4A17-88B9-AC789177C342.jpeg

Aye, think here only thaw so far was in the sun, was sunny for a bit around 10am

Posted
21 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

backtrack from NW thread, bit of snow then hail! I'm expecting just rain, maybe odd flake mixed in, wrong time of day

Or just nothing. Dying on approach. At least most of the snow should still be left for nice New Year’s Eve walk. Little thaw so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
52 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Wonder what this will bring...

8E16A43C-DF63-4762-A3F8-8C3F8E93192C.jpeg

ZILCH forme LOL

Edited by Fozfoster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Could not see where this latest snowfall was supposed to develop from, so not too surprised it's a non event at the moment. Unless there is a slight shift towards the north westerly wind direction, then locally at least, stuck with the dry cloud.

Edited by DIS1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Classic wishbone effect kicking in as we draw in colder air. Night time frosts and crisp winters day sun seem possible for next 3 to 4 days then see where our next batch of PPN will come from. Not a fan of Easterlies for our neck of the woods but obviously will make things less marginal.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Classic wishbone effect kicking in as we draw in colder air. Night time frosts and crisp winters day sun seem possible for next 3 to 4 days then see where our next batch of PPN will come from. Not a fan of Easterlies for our neck of the woods but obviously will make things less marginal.

Rather be here than wales for an easterly! We've had some classic snow events through easterlies, but you do require a good amount of energy and instability to keep the showers coming this far inland.