Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Summer 2020.


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

    Ok,  A new thread as promised, On we go with the Model Discussion as we head into Summer, Please keep discussion polite and on topic and. Thanks all ?

    Old thread here..

     

    Edited by Polar Maritime
    • Like 2
    • Thanks 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Bedfordshire
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
  • Location: Bedfordshire

    Not too sure how accurate the CMA is as I have never heard of that model before but this will do at 240!

    cma-0-240.png

    Edited by Zak M
    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Barton on Sea, Hampshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
  • Location: Barton on Sea, Hampshire
    Just now, Zak M said:

    Not too sure how accurate the CMA as I have never heard of that model before but this will do at 240!

    cma-0-240.png

    There's probably a reason why you haven't :oldlaugh:

    • Like 6
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Wantage, Oxon
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
  • Location: Wantage, Oxon
    15 minutes ago, Zak M said:

    Not too sure how accurate the CMA is as I have never heard of that model before but this will do at 240!

    cma-0-240.png

    It is the Chinese model, I haven't seen anyone post it for a while!  Sometimes gets wheeled out in winter if it shows a Greenland block.

    Edited by Mike Poole
    • Like 3
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Drayton, Portsmouth
  • Location: Drayton, Portsmouth
    9 minutes ago, Zak M said:

    Not too sure how accurate the CMA is as I have never heard of that model before but this will do at 240!

    cma-0-240.png

    This is as good as anything at T240. It's likely a ridge is going to try to build over the top of the euro trough. Another trough wants to sneak towards Europe from Greenland. It's a race and a battle of the fittest! 

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Sedgley 225metres above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
  • Location: Sedgley 225metres above sea level
    15 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

    It is Chinese, I haven't seen anyone post it for a while!

    The last person to post that model was me Mike, and I've posted the Brazil model and NASA before... Mind you I am a bit weird.. ? 

    I think I will wait for the 0z runs in the morning, because its a rather poor ECM mean tonight.. Come to think of it, I wish I would have posted the Brazilian model now.. ? Enjoy your evenings and keep cool, and stay safe.. ?

    Edit... Yes it is rather warm.. Just not so gr8 regarding overall pressure. 

    EDM1-216.gif

    EDM1-240.gif

    graphe0_00_259_75___.png

    graphe1_00_259_75___.png

    Edited by MATT☀️
    • Like 7
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: County end Oldham 202 m Above sea level
  • Location: County end Oldham 202 m Above sea level

    EC mean sees temps recovering to above average with slack pressure ..

    Warm and thundery perhaps..

    • Like 7
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Wantage, Oxon
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
  • Location: Wantage, Oxon
    1 minute ago, MATT☀️ said:

    The last person to post that model was me Mike, and I've posted the Brazil model and NASA before... Mind you I am a bit weird.. ? 

    I think I will wait for the 0z runs in the morning, because its a rather poor ECM mean tonight.. Come to think of it, I wish I would have posted the Brazilian model now.. ? Enjoy your evenings and keep cool, and stay safe.. ?

    EDM1-216.gif

    EDM1-240.gif

    graphe0_00_259_75___.png

    graphe1_00_259_75___.png

    Yes ECM mean is very poor tonight, after a reasonable showing from the op runs.  Wonder how much the missing data is making both the op runs, and the lower resolution ensembles, worse at the moment.  At the end of this, if there is one, it will be interesting to see the verification stats compared to a normal summer.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(100m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(100m asl)
    19 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

    It is Chinese, I haven't seen anyone post it for a while!

    I wonder why?

    anyway i was trying to make a post and it all disappeared before i knew that  Polar Maritime was starting a new thread

    i was replying to your post about how weird the ECM looked from 192

    ECM1-192.thumb.gif.085cbedfd96472d6d2200cec53d64310.gifECM1-216.thumb.gif.574681ea3e615b40ddaaada42624cc36.gifECM1-240.thumb.gif.3c4b54f1dc32d8e059169ac913e692aa.gif

    it shows the Atlantic high pushing NE and building into Scandinavia forcing the trough/low to undercut from the Atlantic with thundery potential,theirs that word POTENTIAL lol

    the mean at day ten shows a similar outcome

    EDM1-240.thumb.gif.9dba08ba88131fbfcd1ac280281ae829.gif

    there has been so many scenarios up to day ten that i have little confidence until we get this low from 120 sorted because it's just meandering around like a duckling that's lost it's mother:oldlaugh:

    Make_way_for_ducklings_at_the_Department_of_Labor-thumb-640xauto-996484.thumb.gif.34573f7dbeccb12e1da25d2eb9130123.gif

     

     

    Edited by Allseasons-si
    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Sedgley 225metres above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
  • Location: Sedgley 225metres above sea level
    1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

    Yes ECM mean is very poor tonight, after a reasonable showing from the op runs.  Wonder how much the missing data is making both the op runs, and the lower resolution ensembles, worse at the moment.  At the end of this, if there is one, it will be interesting to see the verification stats compared to a normal summer.

    Mike you make a good point regarding this situation... I've noticed since the Covid nightmare and all the restrictions put in place.. Ie... Aircraft data for instance... The models and especially the ops have been throwing out some bizarre scenarios... Its the wildest I've seen it since... Well Winter?. Seriously though I think there is going to be some rather strange runs continuing till we get things back to normal, and that could be quite some time. This could be an extraordinary summer for more reasons than one.. ?

    • Like 7
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(100m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(100m asl)

    The latest from cpc shows +ve heights in the Atlantic linking up with the Scandi heights with -ve heights to our south nudging further north to our SW in the extended,it looks mainly dry for the north but increasingly unsettled to our south/SW with the possibility of drawing up some warmer air from the S/SE,it could be a loaded gun this for some action in the way of plumes from the south with thunderstorms.

    610day_03.thumb.gif.f56a877cde5eaf2b0c1cd5a3cef84c18.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.499cb99114cacbfd85c911677fdc1bf4.gif

    • Like 5
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Hadleigh, Suffolk
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
  • Location: Hadleigh, Suffolk
    48 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

    Yes ECM mean is very poor tonight, after a reasonable showing from the op runs.  Wonder how much the missing data is making both the op runs, and the lower resolution ensembles, worse at the moment.  At the end of this, if there is one, it will be interesting to see the verification stats compared to a normal summer.

    ECMWF were reporting back in March that the loss of aircraft data arising from the CV19 pandemic would have an adverse impact on starting data for their model initialisation:

    Drop in aircraft observations could have impact on weather forecasts

    One aspect of the COVID-19 pandemic has been a reduction in aircraft flights and thus of the aircraft-based observations available to weather prediction centres. The observations are used together with many others to help estimate the state of the Earth system at the start of forecasts. At ECMWF, aircraft reports are second only to satellite data in their impact on forecasts. However, recently added satellite wind observations will help to mitigate the drop in the number of aircraft-based observations.

    Full article: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/media-centre/news/2020/drop-aircraft-observations-could-have-impact-weather-forecasts

    Edit: Also an interesting article written on this topic by the Washington Post: The coronavirus pandemic and loss of aircraft data takes toll on weather forecasting. https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/05/13/aircraft-data-weather-forecasting-coronavirus

    Edited by Blessed Weather
    • Like 6
    • Thanks 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Bournemouth
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Very Warm, Warm! Sunshine & TS
  • Location: Bournemouth
    20 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

    Mike you make a good point regarding this situation... I've noticed since the Covid nightmare and all the restrictions put in place.. Ie... Aircraft data for instance... The models and especially the ops have been throwing out some bizarre scenarios... Its the wildest I've seen it since... Well Winter?. Seriously though I think there is going to be some rather strange runs continuing till we get things back to normal, and that could be quite some time. This could be an extraordinary summer for more reasons than one.. ?

    ECM stated in a Webinar that lack of aircraft data has only made minor differences to modelling and have actually filled the gaps with other observations so their medium term forecasting shouldn’t have changed much. 

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Wantage, Oxon
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
  • Location: Wantage, Oxon

     

    4 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

    ECMWF were reporting back in March that the loss of aircraft data arising from the CV19 pandemic would have an adverse impact on starting data for their model initialisation:

    Drop in aircraft observations could have impact on weather forecasts

    One aspect of the COVID-19 pandemic has been a reduction in aircraft flights and thus of the aircraft-based observations available to weather prediction centres. The observations are used together with many others to help estimate the state of the Earth system at the start of forecasts. At ECMWF, aircraft reports are second only to satellite data in their impact on forecasts. However, recently added satellite wind observations will help to mitigate the drop in the number of aircraft-based observations.

    Full article: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/media-centre/news/2020/drop-aircraft-observations-could-have-impact-weather-forecasts

     

    3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

    ECM stated in a Webinar that lack of aircraft data has only made minor differences to modelling and have actually filled the gaps with other observations so their medium term forecasting shouldn’t have changed much. 

    Thanks both, but don't I just wish we could go back to a world where we were just having this discussion on Christmas Day!

    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

    Mmm all rather uncertain how things may eventually develop through next week, models seemingly want to park a trough over the UK for some time, heights to the NE and further out to our SW, trough squeezed through the middle.

    No obvious sign of an appreciable warm up anytime soon, indeed below average temps in the main.

     

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK

    ECM mean at day 10 looks disappointing - maybe the ops were too generous. See what the morning holds!

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Bournemouth
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Very Warm, Warm! Sunshine & TS
  • Location: Bournemouth
    26 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

     

     

    Thanks both, but don't I just wish we could go back to a world where we were just having this discussion on Christmas Day!

    Cook a turkey on Saturday and the weather will be just like it normally is on xmas day ??

    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Exile from Argyll
  • Location: Exile from Argyll
    30 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

    ECMWF were reporting back in March that the loss of aircraft data arising from the CV19 pandemic would have an adverse impact on starting data for their model initialisation:

    Drop in aircraft observations could have impact on weather forecasts

    One aspect of the COVID-19 pandemic has been a reduction in aircraft flights and thus of the aircraft-based observations available to weather prediction centres. The observations are used together with many others to help estimate the state of the Earth system at the start of forecasts. At ECMWF, aircraft reports are second only to satellite data in their impact on forecasts. However, recently added satellite wind observations will help to mitigate the drop in the number of aircraft-based observations.

    Full article: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/media-centre/news/2020/drop-aircraft-observations-could-have-impact-weather-forecasts

    Edit: Also an interesting article written on this topic by the Washington Post: The coronavirus pandemic and loss of aircraft data takes toll on weather forecasting. https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/05/13/aircraft-data-weather-forecasting-coronavirus

    Missing data or not .... GFS and ECM seeing remarkably similar, unpalatable solutions, for longer term.

    EC 240  ECM1-240.GIF?03-0  GFS 300   gfs-0-300.png?12

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex
    Just now, Alderc said:

    Cook a turkey on Saturday and the weather will be just like it normally is on xmas day ??

    Yes - mild and boring!

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Wantage, Oxon
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
  • Location: Wantage, Oxon

    Well it seems in this weird world we now 'live' in, the models are just taking the proverbial.  Now, after a reasonably consistent 12z suite, we have this from GFS on the zoom run, T192:

    image.thumb.jpg.f81381b62478d9b611adc2e6452d34d6.jpg

    I literally cannot remember ever seeing a 1040+ anticyclone on any model in summer!  And the run is rubbish for our weather too, I should add...

    Edited by Mike Poole
    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex

    This may be the worst it gets. You couldn’t get a more foul summer chart if you drew it yourself!

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
    9 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

    Well it seems in this weird world we now 'live' in, the models are just taking the proverbial.  Now, after a reasonably consistent 12z suite, we have this from GFS on the zoom run, T192:

    image.thumb.jpg.f81381b62478d9b611adc2e6452d34d6.jpg

    I literally cannot remember ever seeing a 1040+ anticyclone on any model in summer!  And the run is rubbish for our weather too!

    Classic example of N Atlantic HP-UK trough-Russian HP combo. Though the strength of that HP shown is quite remarkable.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I've never seen such bad runs for summer - I find it almost alarming how calm people seem to be about it they are utterly depressing. If the GFS 18z came off 100mm and 15 hours of sun to mid month likely with a ave max of 16 ? The Greenland northern Russian high combo defo the pattern of death for summer. 

    Fortunately I don't think this is the most likely scenario as I think the models are underplaying the build in fo the Azores initially so lets pray for some upgrades tomorrow

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: New Forest (Western)
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
  • Location: New Forest (Western)

    The energy associated with tropical cyclone Cristobal is going to be messing with the modelling for a while, as it looks like quite a bit of it will make its way across the eastern US early or mid-next week.

    This, on top of the adjustments being made to correct for overdone at atmospheric response to dropping AAM - which have so far led to a less unstable look to Mon-Wed.

    I’ve noticed CFSv2 delaying the recovery of AAM toward the final week of June in the past couple of days. With that, the likelihood of further  lows hanging about near or over the UK increases. I’m not sure of the legitimacy of this change - much depends on how tropical wave propagation through the Indian Ocean takes place, which hasn’t been well modelled in the past few cycles. A difficult period to anticipate!

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...