Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

The cell north of Nottingham might have Rotherham and Barnsley's name on it and avoid Sheffield, if it holds up.

A couple more rumbles here with the rain core just about avoiding my location Better view!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Ive been sent  a consolation prize... A Rainbow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

You may see the odd flash here as it departs

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Josh Rubio said:

That's exactly what happens here. Always in the middle of nothingness. Today everything developed quite literally over us and headed northwest. 

That's what happened to me yesterday lol, managed to get two distant rumbles out of two different downpours, then the energy left. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

There was a thundery shower here and I saw about a minute of rotation in the cloud base east of the rain area, was very clear indeed but fairly brief. Cloud going around in a spiral (appearing to be clockwise from the POV looking up but would be anti-clockwise from the usual 3D angle).

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted

Doubt anything is going to happen here now, the drizzle knocked the temps down to 17C and way too late for them to get back up. 

Oh well...

At least some people who didn't get to see anything good yesterday got to see some nice storms today.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
10 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I was thinking about this and I guess the issue is a number of factors. The only land mass we can generate storms from is either the north, east or west. Southerlies provide the best ‘juice’ and heat, but we wouldn’t get the track for an SB on one of those unless the storms are moving very slow.

The slower a storm is, the less it’s likely to show severe characteristics because of the lack of shear, unless the storm is part of a low and the motion is a curve around that.

we get a decent land teach from the SW, but that’s problematic because the airmass isn’t likely to be unstable (there’s no continent to do that). So we are kind of stick with southerlies to draw up that decent instability.

I tried comparing us to somewhere like the Balearics, but two things: it’s warmer there (generally) and the air masses usually come from the nearby continental areas of Spain or the tip of Morocco.

SEAS:

The Balearics have favourable sea surface conditions whereby we do not. We’ve got the channel, which destroys most storms outside of the summer and autumn months, so we are reliant on air crossing the channel and encountering some sort of forcing over the UK in spring.

The Atlantic isn’t a great producer of the conditions we need either. It’s usually too cold and unless instability is drawn up from the south and redirected eastwards we’re a little unlikely to benefit from it.

Conversely, on the few occasions when things go in our favour we can get ripe and ready storms from France, and while they’re hot and fresh. The north needs a conducive airmass in place over the UK to keep these going (which it often does) but without that we would probably see most imports die out by the time they reach the midlands.

An observation: The storms last night exploded over water as they left Liverpool - I think this was because the cooling effect of the water helped them to generate additional lift (someone pls confirm this ) which perhaps explains why the North Sea gets a lot of powerful storms this time of year. Why this doesn’t happen more often with imports over the channel I don’t know - but I think it’s because most of the imports are fairly mature and long-lived by the time they exit France.

Regardless, it’s really annoying and I just want a storm now

Not so sure that would be the case. The likelihood of it appearing to explode, is that the updraft which provides the storms power probably would have still been over warm landmass. A sheared environment separated the downdraft (precip) from the updraft (no precip normally). It soon died down once the whole storm was out to sea. 

Also the reason for North Sea storms, is they are elevated, and are often associated with very rich plumes and EML’s, so despite the surface temp being cold, the EML can still provide the CAPE to fuel the updraft. That’s my take on it anyway. 

• Like 1

Posted

Next cell should be coming along may just go to the north of me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Can just about see that cell between Leicester and Nottingham behind the trees to my north.

• Like 2

Posted

Random clap of Thunder from my NE o_O

Looks like the storm line just decided to start up again AFTER it had passed over us, Thunder's coming from Leek way and it is Loud!

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Next cell should be coming along may just go to the north of me

Thinking the same. Hopefully by the time it does we'll be near sunset and it'll still be electrically active. Nocturnal cooling can often pep things up in that regard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Some interesting sky's as the gust front went over

DSC02893.thumb.JPG.7c536b1e923cd25a92046e4d3cd2cd43.JPGDSC02894.thumb.JPG.9e24e0fd35b6eacab689d7dcd88d5053.JPGDSC02895.thumb.JPG.6787797eab06b7373058384e7065cd50.JPGDSC02896.thumb.JPG.d502d26f1a64c5a725343c7ef3b93ad7.JPGDSC02897.thumb.JPG.6ff516363658fa7cb646b5090ec53061.JPGDSC02886.thumb.JPG.cc016714e4ba1f64c37d48ca14668270.JPG

before it came over

DSC02884.thumb.JPG.c2b00e2b975f7b0a1212840de2eb02e1.JPGDSC02888.thumb.JPG.f9560397d1df62121399692243930d56.JPGDSC02891.thumb.JPG.70b8dfbeb1750cd0c2cb6d6f1910260a.JPG

• Like 8

Posted

2nd cell not really liking the look of Sheffield and fizzling out as it comes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.
WWW.METCHECK.COM

Metcheck.com - UK & Ireland Thunderstorm Development Satellite showing developing thunderstorms across UK & Ireland. Updated every 15 Minutes.

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I was thinking about this and I guess the issue is a number of factors. The only land mass we can generate storms from is either the north, east or west. Southerlies provide the best ‘juice’ and heat, but we wouldn’t get the track for an SB on one of those unless the storms are moving very slow.

The slower a storm is, the less it’s likely to show severe characteristics because of the lack of shear, unless the storm is part of a low and the motion is a curve around that.

we get a decent land teach from the SW, but that’s problematic because the airmass isn’t likely to be unstable (there’s no continent to do that). So we are kind of stick with southerlies to draw up that decent instability.

I tried comparing us to somewhere like the Balearics, but two things: it’s warmer there (generally) and the air masses usually come from the nearby continental areas of Spain or the tip of Morocco.

SEAS:

The Balearics have favourable sea surface conditions whereby we do not. We’ve got the channel, which destroys most storms outside of the summer and autumn months, so we are reliant on air crossing the channel and encountering some sort of forcing over the UK in spring.

The Atlantic isn’t a great producer of the conditions we need either. It’s usually too cold and unless instability is drawn up from the south and redirected eastwards we’re a little unlikely to benefit from it.

Conversely, on the few occasions when things go in our favour we can get ripe and ready storms from France, and while they’re hot and fresh. The north needs a conducive airmass in place over the UK to keep these going (which it often does) but without that we would probably see most imports die out by the time they reach the midlands.

An observation: The storms last night exploded over water as they left Liverpool - I think this was because the cooling effect of the water helped them to generate additional lift (someone pls confirm this ) which perhaps explains why the North Sea gets a lot of powerful storms this time of year. Why this doesn’t happen more often with imports over the channel I don’t know - but I think it’s because most of the imports are fairly mature and long-lived by the time they exit France.

Regardless, it’s really annoying and I just want a storm now

Yes I am inclined to agree with all those points.

To get something decent here, storms have to fire way down to the south south west and then travel over us to give them the longest possible land track.

Plumes are cool and all with their elevated lightning displays but I would kill to see something surface based with actual cloud features.

6 minutes ago, The PIT said:

2nd cell not really liking the look of Sheffield and fizzling out as it comes

If it ever gets here. They are crawling along.

Tbh I'm not fussed for a direct hit. Of more interest is something to the south like that new Notts cell. A little after dark a cell like that can stay away if it's going to die on us - I'd rather it stay strong, miss to the south and give a cracking post-sunset lightning show ⚡

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yes I am inclined to agree with all those points.

To get something decent here, storms have to fire way down to the south south west and then travel over us to give them the longest possible land track.

Plumes are cool and all with their elevated lightning displays but I would kill to see something surface based with actual cloud features.

You’re more than welcome to join me on a chase up to Essex the next time when they have their next proper SB event. I’ve seen some amazing storms around those north London counties

Posted
3 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

I was taking Pictures of the CB.. so I thought, lets get my old camera and do a timelapse of a dying CB

Nearly made me cry  

Posted
24 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Can just about see that cell between Leicester and Nottingham behind the trees to my north.

Ooh I can see those trees. In fact they often block my view of Aberdeen CUT THEM DOWN!

• Like 4