Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
2 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

0z to 3z in order: Storms moving in NW direction to W/WNW direction as night wears on.

0z.thumb.png.3ee5459716812dfb1ad25ff1e1e7219e.png1z.thumb.png.661415ab1b5142bcffce4026387e0795.png2z.thumb.png.abcfa5751f1b3f47e7e9e8ebf931ac12.png3z.thumb.png.b4a6bde52c3238a55b706e6b8c561d55.png

I really hope that doesn't come off 

I think I might be in for distant lightning on Saturday but I don't want the storm to be that far away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Sorry if this is off topic  but Im sure you all know but there's a baffling array of weather accounts on twitter giving forecast with own graphics etc.  Just came across this one. My initial thoughts were. Why is this NHC giving forecasts this far East! 

Save.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Pretty similar to this mess of lightning I caught on that very same night!

july2017plume2.jpg

Wow what a capture! Amazing work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
Just now, John90 said:

Sorry if this is off topic  but Im sure you all know but there's a baffling array of weather accounts on twitter giving forecast with own graphics etc.  Just came across this one. My initial thoughts were. Why is this NHC giving forecasts this far East! 

Save.jpeg

Yeah I know I saw this just a minute ago. The owner of the account is definitely playing a risky game!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

What an interesting watch this is going to be for tomorrow night. Really does look like we could see something quite significant. 

All eyes should be on E and SE France heading up towards Luxembourg and Belgium through tomorrow morning and afternoon, as this looks to be the trajectory, originating from the Alps!! One region of course that is no stranger to some of the best storms in Europe. The juice and instability does look to be in place on every run too, throughout the night in the Mid levels. 

All of that will be happening, and at the same time, homegrown stuff could materialise too.

I love a good setup like this!  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
4 minutes ago, TomW said:

Wow what a capture! Amazing work!

Thank you! Definitely the best night of storms I've witnessed at least on our shores, in the past few years!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

0z to 3z in order: Storms moving in NW direction to W/WNW direction as night wears on.

0z.thumb.png.3ee5459716812dfb1ad25ff1e1e7219e.png1z.thumb.png.661415ab1b5142bcffce4026387e0795.png2z.thumb.png.abcfa5751f1b3f47e7e9e8ebf931ac12.png3z.thumb.png.b4a6bde52c3238a55b706e6b8c561d55.png

Maybe a few little sneaky imports into the south coast as well? 

Posted

All Alex Deakin mentioned for Saturday morning was just showers for the east 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, Zak M said:

All Alex Deakin mentioned for Saturday morning was just showers for the east 

The Met Office and BBC forecasts never, ever mention thunderstorms to the extent you'd expect them to. The only time they do is if there is a warning for them out, otherwise it's just "heavy rain showers" with thunder/lightning being almost an afterthought, if mentioned at all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I look forward to Dan's CW forecast. No doubt it'll be giving him a headache also, but he'll figure it out 

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well now the showers from France have moved south a bit, less low cloud and sun trying. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Too far north for anything here apart from some heavy showers plus the humid weather hasn't arrived yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
9 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

The Met Office and BBC forecasts never, ever mention thunderstorms to the extent you'd expect them to. The only time they do is if there is a warning for them out, otherwise it's just "heavy rain showers" with thunder/lightning being almost an afterthought, if mentioned at all.

The metoffice do seem to avoid using the word thunderstorm unless theres a really certain risk. Maybe they avoid getting people too excited when thing are so uncertain. 

5 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Too far north for anything here apart from some heavy showers plus the humid weather hasn't arrived yet.

Depends entirely on which model you choose.

Also, the humid weather will be here by then.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Sooo 

The Same Storm that produced the picture South of Ringwood an hour earlier near Portsmouth - Absolutely no doubting a decent tracked supercell moving east to west today

103954442_588493051783172_7744233676455878734_n.jpg

How far has it travelled?

Reminds me of a January morning in maybe 2014 or 2015 when a supercell tracked from Cornwall to East Anglia giving large hail here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

How far has it travelled?

Reminds me of a January morning in maybe 2014 or 2015 when a supercell tracked from Cornwall to East Anglia giving large hail here.

I remember that one well, Andy: it landed at around 2 pm and produced hail that lay for three-hours, and lots of lilac-coloured strobe lightning too. As good as any summer storm I can remember!:oldgood:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
9 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Final total : 33mm

Most of that fell within 30 minutes! 

It was tropical rain here for a time in Portsmouth today. 

Great start to the season

Damn, that must’ve been like microburst style. 

Anyone here ever experienced a proper microburst before? Seen a few videos of them in the US. Dangerous and crazy doesn’t cut it! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
25 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Sooo 

The Same Storm that produced the picture South of Ringwood an hour earlier near Portsmouth - Absolutely no doubting a decent tracked supercell moving east to west today

103954442_588493051783172_7744233676455878734_n.jpg

Most likely that’s What dumped torrential rain on me. It was rather impressive rainfall in seconds, borderline Un - drivable conditions. Powerful stuff.

Good luck to all tomorrow/Sat unfortunately I won’t be chasing, someone has to work  

Posted
45 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Damn, that must’ve been like microburst style. 

Anyone here ever experienced a proper microburst before? Seen a few videos of them in the US. Dangerous and crazy doesn’t cut it! 

Yep - I witnessed one in Florida in 2017.

It was as black as anything above me one Florida day in August 2017. Thought I was just going to experience light rain but good god was I wrong. 10 minutes later it erupted. It was like God just tipped a 10 mile radius bucket of water over me, with wind gusts were probably around 90mph at the time.

Edit: Tried to find some video just in case if anyone did take a video and I found this one which was also in August 2017 and looks similar to what I witnessed but is in a different location.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 2

Posted

12z WRF-NMM still looks good for large parts of England and Wales tomorrow night - definitely the most eager model outside of NetWx. It also brings in what look like thundery downpours in the form of imports on Saturday evening. 

• Like 3