Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Lu. said:

I watched that lot go pass, on high ground it looked fairly impressive - Im surprised there wasnt even one bolt.

There was a sferic showing north of here but didn't hear any thunder and it weakened a fair bit before it arrived. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
23 hours ago, Xanderp009 said:

When i had that view yesterday i didn't want it pass, i couldn't get out my phone in time it looked great further away

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Some more very encouraging model runs today for us storm fans. Next weekend onward could be interesting. Everything crossed for a few days of humid, stormy fun.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Monday : showers clearing later

Tuesday :low approaching southern England through Scotland

Wednesday: system goes through and maybe a thunderstorm breaking out at the Midlands area

Thursday : a new system approaches with showers and thunderstorms breaking out ahead of the system

Friday : thunderstorms in the morning are possible

Saturday: Rain possible with another system, thunderstorms also

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Well I did say South of Gatwick earlier and this was just South of there

Not my Pic btw - Should have made the trip down there though after chasing in Suffolk and Essex yesterday 

Screenshot_20200607_185529_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Is that a funnel, as it looks like it's down. Could just be perspective 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
12 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

A couple of spots of rain today which you could count on one hand.

20200607_200241.thumb.jpg.737a94ba919752c0639eaf52c2583b20.jpg 20200607_200225.thumb.jpg.1b3acde4772f0966b845134fa152ca10.jpg

Are those pictures from the one off the coast that's just passed me to the west?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, matt111 said:

Are those pictures from the one off the coast that's just passed me to the west?

Yap!

I can still see the rainbow now - been going 25 minutes at least!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
54 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Is that a funnel, as it looks like it's down. Could just be perspective 

That is a funnel cloud. was it rotating when this was taken. looks like an F1 tornado. you can see the wall cloud which summoned the funnel cloud. good picture. as far as i know england does get tornados. this looked like it almost touched down 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like two boundaries merged in the vicinity of the South Downs around the time the photo / videos were taken - this is a model simulation so may not be completely accurate in placement, timing etc, but it shows a plausible evolution this evening...

These showers developed along a sea breeze convergence zone. You can see in this model animation how the sea breeze developed late morning and advanced inland during the afternoon. Along this boundary, opposing winds (from the south and north) meet and the air then gets forced upwards, generating deep convection and showers or thunderstorms. This converging of winds also creates spin, or vorticity, and this can get stretched upwards towards the cloud base.

At the same time, a second boundary (warm front) was sinking southwards during the afternoon, and the two merged just north of Brighton around 6pm (17:00 UTC). This merging of boundaries can create additional forcing and spin, and this may have partly contributed to the funnel cloud that developed in the vicinity of the South Downs, before the whole line of heavy showers moved southwards / offshore...

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 9

Posted
2 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

Further to the funnel cloud reports I managed to timelapse the developing storm about 12 miles further north and you can see the rotation develop before the storm matured. By the time I chased it was too late. Doh. spacer.pngAlso pics of the storm to the south of East Sussex. And a most beautiful sunset from Ditchling beacon with the added bonus of a red rainbow   

981C584A-86FE-4DF8-A33E-783AEE911A16.thumb.jpeg.a2cd0c62c1af12fc5efee4e9685d3ba3.jpeg

F8FAAFB7-3CE9-4810-81AC-6225504346C1.thumb.jpeg.742bacf3f3ebb06933b0591d5cdc0e5b.jpeg

70ABD10E-3D31-4F94-8BB5-0F46D320FC5F.thumb.png.f508f4a4fd7cecff922e74096502705b.png

47092A5A-82F8-425F-B241-9D680D75F242.thumb.jpeg.8e55dff52cc1015fe6480392f1e5dd78.jpeg

A7400CC9-5764-481D-9EC5-54DD0738F97D.thumb.jpeg.bbe128444fbc437033dd3f0d0af9b67a.jpeg

Amazing! Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow

Even though things will change, It's definitely looking interesting, with both Friday and Saturday having significant CAPE on the 0z NetWX MR. The GFS Ensembles also look good, with a rise in CAPE around the 13th-15th.

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 07.58.11.png

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 07.58.35.png

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 08.00.04.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
6 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Even though things will change, It's definitely looking interesting, with both Friday and Saturday having significant CAPE on the 0z NetWX MR. The GFS Ensembles also look good, with a rise in CAPE around the 13th-15th.

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 07.58.11.png

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 07.58.35.png

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 08.00.04.png

As I always say: the next event is always somewhere in FI. So while it’s never a good idea to bank anything on which glimmer of hope will materialise into actual storms on the day, there’s nothing wrong with checking it out and keeping tabs on what potential may come our way.

A week can go by very quickly at the moment, so it’s never as far away as you think

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Next weds is grabbing my attention:

18136C96-EE50-4413-89A7-63171023782E.thumb.png.5c953e960801e03fd6c85533e8f07e59.png

A decent(ish) pull of warmer air up from the continent in advance of a strong low moving in from the west. Could be gone by tomorrow but the next few weeks look exciting all the same

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Just looked at the 10km WRF-NMM and for day 5 it's showing some sort of band of rain in the early hours of that day and I can't tell whether that could be thundery rain or just plain dynamic rainfall

nmm-1-113-0.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow

Still the same threat of T-Storms on both Friday and Saturday by the latest NetWx MR, but this time the Saturday threat is further north with some reasonable shear being forecasted to maybe aid in organisation. Again this will probably end up fizzling out or significantly changing but like FFBB said it is still interesting to look at.

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 15.44.02.png

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 15.44.52.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I wouldn't trust that set of GEFS. Look at the OP run compared to the control & mean - something awry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I am loving seeing this eye candy off models. Highly unlikely that anything'll come off but seeing those high CAPE values is wonderful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
59 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Just looked at the 10km WRF-NMM and for day 5 it's showing some sort of band of rain in the early hours of that day and I can't tell whether that could be thundery rain or just plain dynamic rainfall

nmm-1-113-0.png

Possibly some thunder in there. It would be dependent on how much ML CAPE could be brewed or advected in off the near continent, probably a fair bit under an increasingly muggy E-SE feed. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 hours ago, bradleywx said:

Lol, too early for discussing specifics no? Let's get the pattern nailed on first I'd say, the very complex pattern might I add!

Far too early to nail exact detail. But the broad picture is looking likely that we could see some decent convective events both homegrown and maybe even imported in from the SE. Places like Benelux and Germany are in for some pretty high temperatures. So anything that does form over there (pretty likely!) could head over this way. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Far too early to nail exact detail. But the broad picture is looking likely that we could see some decent convective events both homegrown and maybe even imported in from the SE. Places like Benelux and Germany are in for some pretty high temperatures. So anything that does form over there (pretty likely!) could head over this way. 

Yeah agreed, a potentially great convective setup on the way..I was questioning more the use of hi res models already lol, far too early!

• Like 4