South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/06/2020 Onward

Don’t see inland winds this ferocious here very often (especially in August!) Extremely gusty! Just staked my new trees as they were going vertical and pinned down the trampoline! Neighbours new side awning has been ripped apart. Wasn’t expecting it to be quite this windy! 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'll like this one.... Some kids were camping over in the Downton meadows last night. Packing up in the rain this morning, we watched them bag their rubbish up, then chuck it in the trees. I shouted

My poor attempt at taking photos of lightning with the phone! 

Just missed out in frome again , but took a short a short stroll  to a good vantage point and caught  funnel cloud 

Posted Images

Not sure what's up with radar, but we left for a walk a 5pm with a brief shower showing. Got absolutely soaked.

Even now, the cloudscapes all around don't reflect what I can see on there.

Edited by jtay
1 hour ago, jtay said:

Not sure what's up with radar, but we left for a walk a 5pm with a brief shower showing. Got absolutely soaked.

Even now, the cloudscapes all around don't reflect what I can see on there.

The showers have been intensifying quickly and dying just as quickly since about 15.00 . Sometimes 5 minute updates aren’t enough!

Maybe the speed of movement is confusing the radar too.

Edited by Andy Bown
  • Like 1

Been dry all day here but it's now mighty windy out there. Sounds like a good autumn/winter gale roaring around the house.

Bedroom window only open a crack tonight, had to get up early this morning and close it in as the wind was blowing things around in my room. It feels much windier then earlier although the speeds seem the same (or lower..) 15.5°C

Sunny spells for most of the day once the rain cleared this morning and very windy, especially this afternoon and early evening. Doesn't seem to be as windy now as it was earlier. Reached 19.6°C, currently 17.2°C

Seems the frequency of the gusts here has at least been higher, hence why it seems windier than earlier, oh and trying to sleep makes you focus on it 🙂 not enjoying it for the garden though, one of our ceramic pots fell from a platform in the garden and smashed; our fuschia survived though!

All calm here this morning.
Blue Sky, 16.5c, W 8-12mph.

Winds did not hit any of the forecasts yesterday, which were showing 43-51mph gusts through the day and into the early hours.
The stronger wind was persistent all day and into the early hours and was strongest late afternoon, 18-23mph and a spell of around 25mph for a few hours.
Gusts were 28-34mph with a handful 35-37mph 

Blustery on the coast at Abbotsbury late morning, blew away a few cobwebs!

P1050476 (800x600).jpg

1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

Lot of rain heading our way on the radar...

Yes, lovely morning here in the east of our region. Best that I make the most of it looking at the radar.

• Like 1

Looks like that rain is a good six hours ahead of itself. Was expecting it to be dry until at least the afternoon.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Looks like that rain is a good six hours ahead of itself. Was expecting it to be dry until at least the afternoon.

That was the initial forecasting, it has arrived very early, and is getting darker after a sunny start, not that far away from us now...currently 17.1°C 

image.thumb.png.182ef5806584292242236b79d1375986.png

The MetO forecast showed the rain coming in around 10am here. It looks to me like the rain is further North to what the UKV was showing yesterday and I can't see how there needs to be a warning for here either.