Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Favourite current BBC weather presenters?


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK

    Firstly - mods, feel free to move this topic if it’s in the wrong place.

    Im sure this has been done before but hadn’t seen it, so I’ve started another topic. Lockdown needs time filling of course!

    Just wondering who everybody’s favourite current BBC national forecasters are? Choose one male and one female ?

    Male - Chris Fawkes 

    Female - Alina Jenkins

    I think these two explain what’s going on well without too much waffle. I just like their style, and they tend not to repeat themselves with phrases and expressions like some other presenters.

    How about everyone else?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Location: Morecambe
  • Location: Morecambe
    45 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

    Firstly - mods, feel free to move this topic if it’s in the wrong place.

    Im sure this has been done before but hadn’t seen it, so I’ve started another topic. Lockdown needs time filling of course!

    Just wondering who everybody’s favourite current BBC national forecasters are? Choose one male and one female ?

    Male - Chris Fawkes 

    Female - Alina Jenkins

    I think these two explain what’s going on well without too much waffle. I just like their style, and they tend not to repeat themselves with phrases and expressions like some other presenters.

    How about everyone else?

    Chris Fawkes is definately up there for me also, like his style and presenting and is not afraid to come across the fact he loves snowy weather even on TV forecasts. 

    Female is a bit harder but maybe Sarah Keith Lucus, maybe because she also admitted she loves the snowy weather so may not be all doom and gloom about it. I must say though, I don't like her patronising way of telling people just because it's nice outside does not mean to disobey social distancing rules, that's not your job to tell us that so just talk about the weather. 

    Must mention Tomasz Schafernaker though and how he has changed and not really for the better. He used to come across as lively enthusiastic but now he sounds too mature and monotone in his delivery. Yes, he was very prone to a strop and a c*ck up  but he did deliver some memorable moments like the infamous "frozen ball" giggles he had. 

    Edited by Geordiesnow
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Redlynch, Wiltshire / 110m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
  • Location: Redlynch, Wiltshire / 110m asl

    Chris Fawkes and perhaps Louisa Lear.

    Does Carol K still do Breakfast weather? I've not been up early enough recently.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
    On 17/04/2020 at 16:25, Geordiesnow said:

    Chris Fawkes is definately up there for me also, like his style and presenting and is not afraid to come across the fact he loves snowy weather even on TV forecasts. 

    Female is a bit harder but maybe Sarah Keith Lucus, maybe because she also admitted she loves the snowy weather so may not be all doom and gloom about it. I must say though, I don't like her patronising way of telling people just because it's nice outside does not mean to disobey social distancing rules, that's not your job to tell us that so just talk about the weather. 

    Must mention Tomasz Schafernaker though and how he has changed and not really for the better. He used to come across as lively enthusiastic but now he sounds too mature and monotone in his delivery. Yes, he was very prone to a strop and a c*ck up  but he did deliver some memorable moments like the infamous "frozen ball" giggles he had. 

    Probabaly Tomasz has lost his sparkle because he is fed up forecasting dire mild winter weather year after year and cannot put a snowflake on show ! I occasionally watch BBC World News weather but its presenters do not impress and come across all a bit mundane unlike the Japanese English language news channel NK, female and males presenters both show total engagement in their presentation. Great watching them sweep around the world in such great depth. However, during my time up in Skipton a couple of years ago , I did enjoy  watching Owain Wyn Evans (the weather drummer boy ) in the regional north weather slot. He has real flair and enthusiasm . Maybe be time for him to fill the BBC breakfast national news  and replace Carol Kirkwood. She has had a good run but comes across as a bit of a bore. My opinion anyway. 

    C

     

     

     

     

    Edited by carinthian
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Irlam
  • Location: Irlam

    I remember a time when I use to always watched the BBC weather forecasts but now I very rarely watch it. I don't even know who Alina Jenkins is after reading the above posts. Don't even watch the Countryfile forecasts anymore. 

     

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
  • Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire

    Aye, I used to watch the BBC forecasts regularly between 1993 and 2002 but got put off by a progressive "dumbing down" in the early '00s and then the graphics change.  I do remember that the BBC forecasts went through a phase of being more to my taste again around 2012-2016, particularly Peter Gibbs's Countryfile forecasts, but in the last few years I haven't kept up with the BBC forecasts at all, relying almost entirely on online resources from Netweather, Wetterzentrale and the Met Office, so I don't really feel qualified to give a strong opinion on favourite current presenters.  I don't know Alina Jenkins either, but I did come across Tomasz Schafernaker, Carol Kirkwood and Sarah Keith-Lucas a few times in the early 2010s.

    Edited by Thundery wintry showers
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: on a canal , probably near Northampton...
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
  • Location: on a canal , probably near Northampton...

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
  • Location: Salzburger Sportwelt Lungau/ Pongau Region. Somtimes Skipton UK
    9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

     

    Yep, that's the guy to charm the UK morning weather viewers in the morning on BBC. The best personality since my old mate Ian Mc.

    C

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK

    I’m quite surprised a few people don’t know who Alina Jenkins is! She’s been on the national forecasts for about 6 years now. You’ve either been unlucky to never see her, or perhaps watch less Beeb weather?

    As I didn’t mention before....probably my least favourite is Susan Powell.

    The slightly older crop of presenters who got chopped like Alex Deakin, Rob McElwee, John Hammond, Peter Gibbs etc are sorely missed!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: halifax 125m
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
  • Location: halifax 125m

    Silly question,Abbie Dewhurst!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Redlynch, Wiltshire / 110m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
  • Location: Redlynch, Wiltshire / 110m asl

    Alina does the BBC South forecasts 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: weston-super-mare, UK
  • Location: weston-super-mare, UK

    Chris Fawkes and that's mainly for aesthetic purposes ;) Plus he has a very relaxed approach.  Phil Avery is very old school and has a lot of knowledge. 

    Out of the ladies, Louise Lear. Very warm and a natural. 

    We've got Ian Fergusson as our BBC Points West weatherman, he seems to be very 'cold' in his delivery and a bit snidey. 

    Edited by NeilN
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

    Agree I like Chris Fawkes delivery. Female wise - Helen Willets still does the odd forecast, she has been on for nearly 20 years. I quite like Phil Every.

    Used to enjoy Rob McCellwe, and further back Ian M and John Ketley, Suzanne Charlton was good as well - ah take me back to the 90s.

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)

    haven't watch the BBC forecast in years since i live in Canada..i much prefer our local forecast here 

     

    weatherpic.jpg?w=500&quality=70&strip=al
    GLOBALNEWS.CA

    Watch Global Edmonton weather forecast: Jan. 14 Video Online, on GlobalNews.ca

     

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 18/04/2020 at 18:09, Thundery wintry showers said:

    Aye, I used to watch the BBC forecasts regularly between 1993 and 2002 but got put off by a progressive "dumbing down" in the early '00s and then the graphics change.  I do remember that the BBC forecasts went through a phase of being more to my taste again around 2012-2016, particularly Peter Gibbs's Countryfile forecasts, but in the last few years I haven't kept up with the BBC forecasts at all, relying almost entirely on online resources from Netweather, Wetterzentrale and the Met Office, so I don't really feel qualified to give a strong opinion on favourite current presenters.  I don't know Alina Jenkins either, but I did come across Tomasz Schafernaker, Carol Kirkwood and Sarah Keith-Lucas a few times in the early 2010s.

    I used to swear by the BBC forecast but since the latest change to MeteoGroup. I feel the accuracy of the forecast has dropped and the the graphics used on National Forecasts are much smaller than they used to be and often hidden by city names.

    I much prefer the Met Office video forecasts, and even the ITV ones, again based on Met Office forecasts.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Morecambe
  • Location: Morecambe

    At least Scotland is much better represented by the current maps. I can't believe when I watched a few YouTube vids of the old maps even near the end just how awful the 3D image represented Scotland despite the improvement from right at the beginning where it was even worse.

    Also to keep on topic, I forgot to mention Matt Taylor, is it me or does he look like someone that has barely aged over the years! I do enjoy listening to his forecasts though, certainly no droaning from him. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby
    On 18/04/2020 at 21:58, Snowyowl9 said:

    Ian McCaskill

     

    how does he present the current weather forecast?... medium? ouija board?..

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby

    tbh i dont know who most of them are.. like others, since the internet the need for the bbc weathermen has lost its appeal. the weather for me was an absolute red line "must see" , now if i catch it, i catch it... if not, so be it.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Solihull, WestMidlands, 121m asl -20 would be nice :-)
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
  • Location: Solihull, WestMidlands, 121m asl -20 would be nice :-)

    “Current” enough said, Tomasz all day long ?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Trowbridge, Wilts
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring
  • Location: Trowbridge, Wilts

    Yep Tomasz and SKL for me

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: redcar,cleveland
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
  • Location: redcar,cleveland

    Definitely Tomasz for me 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Powys Mid Wales borders.
  • Location: Powys Mid Wales borders.
    On 22/04/2020 at 11:51, mushymanrob said:

    how does he present the current weather forecast?... medium? ouija board?..

    Its a joke.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...