Jump to content

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

Yep. Remember for storms you need more than just cape. You need moisture, Cape, and a forcing mechanism to allow the moist parcel of air into the CAPE. Add a bit of shear to that mix then you have a far stronger environment for a more persistent storm. 

Thank you much appreciated. Ill bear this in mind going forward. Be great sitting back and viewing everyone's comments and surprisingly gives me an insight into weather language as such. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got this about 15-20 minutes ago from the London cell. I'm very shocked I got this.

Timing is key for Thursday - we've mentioned before how both the phasing and shape/characteristics of the mid/upper level trough will ultimately determine how many thunderstorms (if any) develop. Mode

My sister got this great pic from leith hill tower 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Yep. Remember for storms you need more than just cape. You need moisture, Cape, and a forcing mechanism to allow the moist parcel of air into the CAPE. Add a bit of shear to that mix then you have a far stronger environment for a more persistent storm. 

Thanks ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Alarms at the ready ???

068EA52B-61D7-4C2F-986B-A113B2905BA6.png

Same..haven’t done this many alarms since mid March ??..not that I’m expecting much at all, but watching any sorts of developments can always be fun lol 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bradleywx said:

Same..haven’t done this many alarms since mid March ??..not that I’m expecting much at all, but watching any sorts of developments can always be fun lol 

Good luck guys as Reed Timmer would say never stop chasing ??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, bradleywx said:

Same..haven’t done this many alarms since mid March ??..not that I’m expecting much at all, but watching any sorts of developments can always be fun lol 

Now that's dedication. Hope it's worth it.

I won't be doing the same considering there's no chance here. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, whitty-southwest-uk said:

Good luck guys as Reed Timmer would say never stop chasing ??

Or Pecos Hank’s “happy trails”!! 

Alarm is set folks. All eyes on the radars now! I may drive as far as essex or Suffolk depending on if, when or where they fire up. Good luck all. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Alarms at the ready ???

068EA52B-61D7-4C2F-986B-A113B2905BA6.png

Why not just set your sleep to fifteen minutes, and then just swiping over? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bradleywx said:

Same..haven’t done this many alarms since mid March ??..not that I’m expecting much at all, but watching any sorts of developments can always be fun lol 

The only alarm I've been setting is the one to remind me to book a shopping delivery slot on Thurs night/Fri morning ?

Still trying to work out if I need to get up early tomorrow morning, forego my nana nap in the afternoon or stay up later after booking said delivery slot on Friday morning or set an alarm for later on Friday........

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

The only alarm I've been setting is the one to remind me to book a shopping delivery slot on Thurs night/Fri morning ?

Still trying to work out if I need to get up early tomorrow morning, forego my nana nap in the afternoon or stay up later after booking said delivery slot on Friday morning or set an alarm for later on Friday........

07:30-08:00 at the earliest for a delivery tomorrow ? all gone to the North Sea by 12:30-1pm

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, staplehurst said:

07:30-08:00 at the earliest for a delivery tomorrow ? all gone to the North Sea by 12:30-1pm

Daytime storms are so meh if they're just poop and go. 

Hopefully the potential for the early hours on Friday may yet throw up something!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Full chase mode is ready, just in case! Good luck those in the risk area!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

*has the B word on the tip of my tongue* saying this though there is this forcast which I am in 

Screenshot_2020-05-21-00-51-15.png

I'm in the bolder yellow, and East Kent is almost in the level one, make sense, it builds here, and effects east of us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

All this hoohah about East Anglia and the first four strikes of Thursday happen in Cornwall...

But even that was largely unexpected! Positive for later on today aye fingers crossed!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

All this hoohah about East Anglia and the first four strikes of Thursday happen in Cornwall...

I watched that develop on radar, came here to ask if it was the trough arriving, I guess the answer is yes, though I didn't expect it to spark up till it reached Central southern england, guess the plume is further west? I guess we'll find out in the 0z runs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some more lightning across parts of Cornwall at the moment! NMM showing 100-200J/Kg of MU Cape across Cornwall. Strongest instability further eastwards so will be interesting to see what happens.

Seems to be developing quite rapidly actually.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Some more lightning across parts of Cornwall at the moment! NMM showing 100-200J/Kg of MU Cape across Cornwall. Strongest instability further eastwards so will be interesting to see what happens.

Seems to be developing quite rapidly actually.

Looks to be moving east rather quickly however, I think it'll probably be all over by four or five am, unless something holds it up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning everyone, 
was hoping to spot Jupiter and Saturn as they rise this morning, 
half the sky has a line of cloud through it, ending to my East.. blocking my view! 

~ Thought i'd check on the radar, and then found an equally obscure line across the SW England with some lightning strikes.. 
now more pronounced than ever!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!!let me tell you something i did not expect a line of storms to develop that far west!!and it seems to be growing!!could be a good show for areas further east now!!though am defo not going to hold my hopes up high!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...