Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I’m not overly enamoured by the ARPÈGE which develops very little over the UK and in any event clears everything through by late morning. Emerging HIRLAM not much better and GFS rowing right back on CAPE. Waiting for the 12z WRF-NMM to see if that’s still keen for something. Phone app still resolutely with a thunder symbol as it has for the past couple of days. On the plus side, if at all relevant, is that today is warmer than expected - 26C here.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Showers/Storms a little more widespread on the UKV 12z run, though CAPE values are marginally less than before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

The MetO’s graphics certainly show some thunderstorms breaking out

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Got this awful feeling it’s all heading east  run by run, it’s being slowly watered down. 

Tomorrow’s runs will be crucial, but it’s now getting to the point where it’s on a knife edge. I want to be seeing a big delay in the trough ASAP! 

Isnt like the met office to jinx things is it!! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

NetWx-SR is looking good!

nmmuk3hrprecip.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
15 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Got this awful feeling it’s all heading east  run by run, it’s being slowly watered down. 

Tomorrow’s runs will be crucial, but it’s now getting to the point where it’s on a knife edge. I want to be seeing a big delay in the trough ASAP! 

Yes, the GFS 12z continues with this theme. At this rate it's going to be a London-eastwards only affair. I mean, it always looked that way anyway going by how these things usually go, but now the models are backing up that idea

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

has anyone else noticed that today's chance has been creeping up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

accuweather hasn't been very reliable just noticed a 40 percent storm chance 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
Just now, Xanderp009 said:

Inaccuweather, you mean?

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Xanderp009 said:

as per others posts above, this setup is hard to forecast 2 days beforehand, radar watching on the day is key.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 hour ago, Zak M said:

NetWx-SR is looking good!

nmmuk3hrprecip.png

Hoping we get more cross model agreement later on and into tomorrow. The timing of that trough and how far North the plume engages with it is paramount. It’s a high risk-high reward type scenario this one! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Hoping we get more cross model agreement later on and into tomorrow. The timing of that trough and how far North it gets is paramount. It’s a high risk-high reward type scenario this one! 

Yep. It's giving us a headache right now!

The WRF-NMM 12z (the latest to come out) is absolutely pants and has the trough pushed a bit further east meaning that the thundery activity will be further east. The SR looks to be the only model without an eastward shift yet although as we head into tomorrow hopefully the SR still shows this and that all the models will come to agreement. If the trough does end up shifting westwards, along with the decent amount of wind shear, then we could actually get some quite intense storms!

We do have HP dominating again after the quick unsettled spell though with temperatures into the high-twenties once again next week so hopefully that will be enough to produce some corkers if Thursday does turn out to be mediocre!

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

From a purely IMBY perspective the WRF-NMM 12z is pretty good but does represent a vast downgrade sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
8 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Hoping we get more cross model agreement later on and into tomorrow. The timing of that trough and how far North the plume engages with it is paramount. It’s a high risk-high reward type scenario this one! 

It’s certainly a complicated situation - so for my first storm forecast in a while I decided it would be pertinent to consider what sort of risk a bipedal humanoid looking southwards near Radwell May likely face come 10am on Thursday.

I had to leave out specifics because we still need to nail down the exact detail nearer the time - and the cold front is green because I already used blue for the lightning - but this chart clearly shows that there is an associated risk with this kind of setup.

Also to note the potential cloud cover from earlier elevated activity which is also pictured

E29A4FF2-5FC5-469D-B7A4-C7FA55FBED68.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

it's the UK it's always complicated, i'm off thurs but having the car air con recharged at kwik fit, shame no storms in wales otherwise I would of enjoyed watching it whilst i'm waiting. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Happens almost every time year in year out which is why I cant get excited until it's on my doorstep....that said if you live in Cambridge then its nailed on!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
4 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

Thanks for this link. I use it all the time for the USA and didn’t realise that they had exactly the same for the UK. Brilliant and just what I wanted

I've subscribed as a supporter of Reed Timmer and watch his streams both supporter only and free streams and he uses Pivotal weather in his forecasts and recommends it, I just thought it was for the US so didnt look and thought clicking on the areas on the map you want to see a skew-T was fantastic, now I can do the same which is great and no plotting in CAPE or trying to visualise it in my mind either, great stuff! Thanks for letting us know some functionality is for the UK too.

If anything is in reasonable distance from me, I WILL be chasing, good luck everyone!

Edited by Greeny
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

A positive run by the EURO4 12z and is supportive of the UKV & NMM so far. Initiation looks to take place from around 10am from Reading eastwards.

Despite there being an eastward shift in most of the models it is definitely a positive sign that the higher resolution models of EURO4, NMM and UKV all show thundery activity on Thursday. I think if the AROME also shows a similar scenario once it comes into view then I can definitely have more confidence.

If AROME does come in-line then I'd back EURO4, AROME, NMM & UKV > GFS, ECM, ICON & ARPEGE any day.

EURO4 12z below:

1.thumb.png.960902c35fc38d6860cb626f1111f2e7.png2.thumb.png.717cc2dfd59fcde5c38fb3da0f7a063b.png

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow

Sadly looks like the GFS is trending the trough further East... I'm not giving up until the day though, as there is a lot to change and often pattern can completely change within a day or so...