Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Damn, an electrically active shower just missed me to the East

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Main cell just skirting here ATM some moody skies though IMG_20200501_171630.thumb.jpg.bc38f19b6e901d588537ee7f3f5351fe.jpgIMG_20200501_171209.thumb.jpg.f0605d2b95412cf7ba05420a68b8e10d.jpgIMG_20200501_171201.thumb.jpg.1f6650b281354168390b5154ad0a1805.jpg

Possible mammatus trying to form IMG_20200501_171947.thumb.jpg.614db4faa8391071724041b348a9ab1b.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Trying to tug this one towards me. I’m just south of the London force field and they seem to be edging closer and closer each time

BC1B1233-F5F9-483B-B269-3FBC62C0B50E.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Afternoon everyone, hope you’re all well!

I’ve just heard my first real thunder of the year so I can officially come out of hibernation

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
34 minutes ago, bradleywx said:

The thunderclap on the last vid @ 0:28 is simply incredible..

That reminds me of last year, the big storm that pretty much hit most of the country - July maybe?

I was sat on the seafront watching the strobe lightening, spectacular - until one like that boom went off pretty close to me. I know you shouldn’t run, but well - I pretty much crapped my pants! The loudest I’ve have ever heard! 
More so my dad rung immediately after asking where I was as he knew I was out in it

Today again some pretty neat cloud formations, saw one strike over the IOW however it was so rain wrapped, the camera didn’t pick it up Then spent the next couple hours watching the rain cross the island, which I found quite fascinating whilst sunbathing in my car. 

• Like 4

Posted
36 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Afternoon everyone, hope you’re all well!

I’ve just heard my first real thunder of the year so I can officially come out of hibernation

Bugger nearly struck me when I was on my 1 hour walk - Stunning Rainbow as well 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine

I would love to see a project on the topic of "supercells that actually occurred in the uk" of course, no one has limitless free time!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
2 hours ago, Windblade said:

We were commenting on it in the storms and discussion thread on the site so it's probably archived somewhere. At least I think that's the date anyway. I did find this footage, not sure if this is the same storm as the confirmed supercell but it looks similar with it's constant strobe lighting...

Great find!  Leaves me hungry for some decent summer storms, days like today don't excite me too much.

The frequency of lightning does is not a good  indicator of whether a storm is a supercell. It's often a case that people think big storm + lots of lightning = supercell.  I mean the storms can be super, but not in the scientific definition sense of a supercell. Let's blame whoever came up with the name in the first place? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
6 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

I would love to see a project on the topic of "supercells that actually occurred in the uk" of course, no one has limitless free time!

Maybe not exactly what you are after but interesting nevertheless - a good research paper about the UK setups for tornadoes.

https://www.academia.edu/25589837/Forecasting_tornadoes_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
10 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

A true supercell here is pretty rare. The ones I know of that were 100% legitimate of recent years were the East Midlands on June 28th 2012, and York on the 27th July 2018. 

I tend to find that hail size is a good indicator, as well as a rotating wall cloud/mesocyclone and the defined “hook echo” signature on the radar. One thing that both of them storms had was very large hail. Lightning frequencies are usually incredibly high however. 64,000 strikes were recorded on the 28/06/12, and an unofficial count of 215,000 according to convective weathers charts on 27/07/18. 

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

A true supercell here is pretty rare. The ones I know of that were 100% legitimate of recent years were the East Midlands on June 28th 2012, and York on the 27th July 2018. 

There was one at Eastbourne but I can’t remember what year.

Posted

Sleaford, Lincolnshire on the 28/06/12. Actually looks like a classic supercell. This is the same cell that gave the tennis ball hail over Leicestershire. At the beginning, note the rapid moving inflow jet, and at the end of this video, the tornado is clearly visible.

A rare day where conditions were as if it was tornado alley. Very high wind shear (increased wind speed with height) overlapping a high amount of CAPE and instability. We very rarely get both combined here. Usually one or the other! 

• Like 6

Posted
36 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I tend to find that hail size is a good indicator, as well as a rotating wall cloud/mesocyclone and the defined “hook echo” signature on the radar. One thing that both of them storms had was very large hail. Lightning frequencies are usually incredibly high however. 64,000 strikes were recorded on the 28/06/12, and an unofficial count of 215,000 according to convective weathers charts on 27/07/18. 

July 1st 2015 I think? Potential supercell over the Yorkshire Dales that dropped some massive hail

June 28th 2012 is the one to beat though, I've got some amazing radar grabs that could be from the high planes of the US if you didn't know any better! What a day!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm seeing the line of CBs illuminated yellows and orange by the setting sun, stretching down from Holmes Chapel down to north Birmingham although there's no sferic activity being picked up yet.

Posted
Just now, ChezWeather said:

July 1st 2015 I think? Potential supercell over the Yorkshire Dales that dropped some massive hail

June 28th 2012 is the one to beat though, I've got some amazing radar grabs that could be from the high planes of the US if you didn't know any better! What a day!

Yes, I remember that actually. It was the one that formed before that twilight storm west of the Peak District. I saw one video of the hail, and then the “hail fog” that came shortly after. 

Indeed that 2012 day was incredible. The only good day to really come of that bad year of weather tbh. After seeing the radar and the actual pitch black cloud base to the  North, I was badly regretting not going chasing on that day. I was busy on that day, and painfully watching the opportunity of decades pass by!! Lol. We’ve seen some good storm days since then over the recent years thank god! 

• Like 1

Posted

Some great cloud tops to my West right now from that line of showers!

I've posted these before but seems as we're on the topic of UK Supercells, why not have them again!

28th June 2012:

Some great info and pics on these 2 links 

https://www.stratusdeck.co.uk/28th-june-2012

https://hinckleyweatherblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/leicestershire-supercell-storms-of-28th-june-2012/

Massive hail in Leicestershire 

image.thumb.png.d0651f956cde72dd4f8b803d42bb86fe.png

The multi-cell cluster and the classic flying eagle Supercell to the right 

image.thumb.png.117ccb9dce63f8fcb4805e0f49d8e9a6.png

Said Supercell went on to produce the Sleaford tornado, that's probably the most defined Supercell ever seen on UK radar? 

image.thumb.png.c02dd8ae2d017b204d9357d86fcd32da.png

Satellite image

image.thumb.png.168ea89f4836ceff90b8337f71b1dcef.png

Lightning total 

image.thumb.png.62f4ee4e0cd8e7c448fcf4a1b2d10ef1.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Some great cloud tops to my West right now from that line of showers!@ChezWeather

From the decaying line of cells crossing central England

1075157032_1076.thumb.jpg.c5180f4e1b917e14277ba3268d6982a6.jpg

2110160517_1074.thumb.jpg.fa729473db5615c435e279fbcaa9f308.jpg

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Not too much to talk about regarding potential thundery activity next few days. However still keeping a keen eye on developments Monday into Tuesday for the far SW England & S Coast of Ireland.

Early signs for MCS development to take place over the Bay of Biscay and weaken on its approach to the SW, unsure whether it will even make landfall but hopefully those in the far SW may see some decent lightning/storm structure. Whilst CAPE values are a touch low, all the parameters are in place for quite a prolific MCS to develop. How far north the MCS reaches is dependent on how far the moist unstable air is advected northwards.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

There's a band just forming here, (as per usual it split as it passed over where I live in S-o-T then reformed again after it passed.....  ) beginning to show hail on the north parts (via the radar) just passing over Congleton now and looks like it's just going to pass to the south of Buxton.

• Like 1

Posted

The line looked promising from here but it fizzled out into just light-moderate rain once the sun went down, but i'll still take it over this morning's grey and dull skies.

2149.thumb.JPG.e761cd24188a919748aa236d04fb4ac9.JPG2150.thumb.JPG.b54676be914fbf8401039a846734c115.JPG2151.thumb.JPG.53a9bc9c84408e4bc32bfc4835a7063b.JPG

• Like 9