6 minutes ago, Xanderp009 said:

Cirrus build up Here..... 

Screenshot_20200426_162028_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200426_162445_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200426_162637_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200426_162931_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200426_165120_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200426_165558_com.android.chrome.jpg

Not sure what your scribbles are about but there is such thing as satellite imagery.

image?type=visual&region=gb
EN.SAT24.COM

Weather United Kingdom and Ireland, Satellite Weather United Kingdom and Ireland, Weather Forecast, Rainfall, Clouds, Sun in United Kingdom and Ireland - SAT24.com

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, Harry said:

It’s almost 10 years to the day (in fact I think it might very well be the day) I did my first and only (to date) USA storm chase with Paul and the Netweather team. It included a High risk chase day through S/C Arkansas (Pine Bluff/Stuttgart), ending in Memphis. It’s more than fair to say US storms piddle our storms into insignificance, but that said I love our Spanish Plumes. Since that holiday, I’ve seen some incredible storms here, with incredibly frequent lightning and impressive structures. There’s something, for me at least, just as exciting in feeling the humidity building, the AcCas appearing and waiting for the first flashes of lightning on the southern skyline that we get with Spanish Plumes. 

As we get into a more traditional slack low dominating pattern in the coming days, I’m hoping we will start to get some traditional April/May thundery showers breaking out, initially on Tuesday but at other times perhaps during the week. 

In terms of our first proper plume, a rule of thumb for me is not to expect much until mid-May onwards!

I agree. While I went on my first US chase last year and saw some truly epic end-of-the-world supercells that eclipse anything we get here, there's something just so unique and exciting about our plumes. Like you say, the curtain-raising Ac Cas followed by some of the fantastic MCSs we get forming in the channel and drifting inland are just magic. 

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Nice little rain shower going on here, I have the windows fully open and am thoroughly enjoying the peace and quiet, the gentle breeze and the earthy scent of petrichor, pity there's no lightning to go with it

Just getting a few blobs of rain now from the cell that moved up from you.  No, no lightning, the only sferics the radio is picking up is my washing machine, been listening to the white noise from it for 2 hours now, time to turn it off, daughter thinks I'm off my rocker.

• Like 2

Posted

A disappointing end to what could have been, Owestry had 2 strikes earlier from a developing cell but I don't think there's been anything else since then. At least there's the rain this week to get some water on the garden and keep the majority of covidiots from intentionally starting moorland fires.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

How can it be a bust when the risk was right at the low end of the scale? Most models went for a scattered shower affair, and that's exactly what occurred.

• Like 9

Posted
20 minutes ago, Xanderp009 said:

Next Tuesday looks like a supercell........................ Screenshot_20200427_082814_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.7ebcbe7cb580cd762b67e1ceebf782ad.jpg

Do we need to warn the Authorities I wonder ? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
37 minutes ago, Xanderp009 said:

Next Tuesday looks like a supercell........................ Screenshot_20200427_082814_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.7ebcbe7cb580cd762b67e1ceebf782ad.jpg

Can something look like a supercell on a low-res model, 8 days out?

Posted

Also following on from what Ben has put above, this all comes about due to the record heat being progged for Iberia this weekend and early next week. 36-38c are being forecasted for some parts of Spain and a push north of a Plume of sorts looks likely next Sunday to Tuesday for the Uk. So although we wont see the record heat the transport of High Theta towards the Uk with a trigger out west moving in are the perfect ingrediants.

One to watch and nice and early in the season and one I would have missed had my flight to DFW to Tornado Alley was going ahead (Silver Linings and all that) Add into that the weather looks set fair over in the States on current model outlooks 

You really couldnt make 2020 up really if you tried

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Looking ahead to next weekend/early next week there appears to be a lot of potential for some strong/severe thunderstorms across Southern areas. Just for a laugh I decided to look at some of the available charts:

Quite extraordinary what the latest GFS run has in store and I must stress this is likely to be changed/watered down.

But for early Monday a large amount of moisture is advected northwards across S UK, 850hpa temps reaching 15'c in the SE which allows 800J/KG of ML CAPE to develop. Followed by 40knts of DLS and very steep lapse rates this is simply all the ingredients required to spawn a few severe elevated thunderstorms. GFS actually hinting at quite a prolific MCS to move NNE across CS England Monday morning.

I better stop myself before I get too excited but for those new, what the GFS is currently showing for next weekend is typically what you require for a severe thunderstorm outbreak. If any of you have any questions then feel free to ask. I'll be keeping an eye on these developments over the coming week.

Mon04.thumb.png.bc16b4c15732f3e21213db9506250b53.png509925999_Mon04mlcape.thumb.png.56d1672ed29743d1100b326c40602427.png104310535_Mon04DLS.thumb.png.0d049767c55676c645e129e389516fc9.png2092120752_LapseRatesMon04.thumb.png.bd7150b3bee18b51355eb5c83e66053d.png980509268_TTIndex.thumb.png.f58c1bbb10d8e7474e337876ba74c3de.png

Looks exciting, but doesn't the GFS tend to present these sorts of parameters very often 5-7 days before a plume event (particularly wrt CAPE)? Only for them to be significantly watered down within about 2-3 days before? Fingers crossed no matter what though..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
8 minutes ago, Cableguy said:

Was the stuff over France today supposed to be as active as it is currently?

Yes, and that cell in the north it shows later on today looks interesting there is some shear and vorticity associated with it also has a slight hook appearance of course whether it materialises or not remains to be seen. 3E756BD8-A185-4400-BC23-3606B06E6BD8.thumb.gif.cff3e3b7119b7e29ea5f1e387d3e5d08.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
1 minute ago, bradleywx said:

Looks exciting, but doesn't the GFS tend to present these sorts of parameters very often 5-7 days before a plume event (particularly wrt CAPE)? Only for them to be significantly watered down within about 2-3 days before? Fingers crossed no matter what though..

GFS are definitely prone to over-blowing CAPE values particularly medium to long range but the CAPE values shown for early next week is nothing extraordinary and is actually supported by the ECMWF with a similar thundery breakdown. So in response I don't think the CAPE values in particular will water down too much it's just a case of whether all the right ingredients come together.

10 minutes ago, Cableguy said:

Was the stuff over France today supposed to be as active as it is currently?

The storms do appear to be quite active don't they! Even ESTOFEX have only issued a 15% risk for Northern France. Despite that there are 500-700J/KG of CAPE so it is no surprise that there is a fair bit of electrical activity but probably a little more than expected.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Looks like the sort of radar returns you would see during an overnight thunderstorm scenario :shok:

radar.png

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

weather for midland Kent

Tuesday

1:00:Rain showers cover small parts of Kent .thunderstorm chance 21%

2:00: Rain covers places accross the area , and any lightning activity is off at sea.thunderstorm chane 10%.

3:00:rain.thunderstorm chance 9%

4:00:rain. 10%

5:00:rain. 20%

6:00:rain. 10%

7:00:showers. 9%

08:00:showers. 21%

9:00:sunny and cloudy. 21%

10:00:cloudy. 10%

11:00:rainy. 9%

12:00:rain in spots. 8%

13:00:rain. 7%

14:00:showers. 6%

15:00:stormy showers. 29%

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Looking ahead to next weekend/early next week there appears to be a lot of potential for some strong/severe thunderstorms across Southern areas. Just for a laugh I decided to look at some of the available charts:

Quite extraordinary what the latest GFS run has in store and I must stress this is likely to be changed/watered down.

But for early Monday a large amount of moisture is advected northwards across S UK, 850hpa temps reaching 15'c in the SE which allows 800J/KG of ML CAPE to develop. Followed by 40knts of DLS and very steep lapse rates this is simply all the ingredients required to spawn a few severe elevated thunderstorms. GFS actually hinting at quite a prolific MCS to move NNE across CS England Monday morning.

I better stop myself before I get too excited but for those new, what the GFS is currently showing for next weekend is typically what you require for a severe thunderstorm outbreak. If any of you have any questions then feel free to ask. I'll be keeping an eye on these developments over the coming week.

Mon04.thumb.png.bc16b4c15732f3e21213db9506250b53.png509925999_Mon04mlcape.thumb.png.56d1672ed29743d1100b326c40602427.png104310535_Mon04DLS.thumb.png.0d049767c55676c645e129e389516fc9.png2092120752_LapseRatesMon04.thumb.png.bd7150b3bee18b51355eb5c83e66053d.png980509268_TTIndex.thumb.png.f58c1bbb10d8e7474e337876ba74c3de.png

Seeing as it's nearly 2 years since I've seen lightning,  I'll take that hope even this far out

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Xanderp009 said:

is this the area of Rain..... 

Screenshot_20200427_154326_com.android.chrome.jpg

the lightning is associated with a trough, (if you care to look at the met office surface pressure charts) which is moving away from us