Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Yep. CET means bugger all when it comes to how a month's weather actually was. A cloudy, wet, summer month seems much cooler than even a mild March. Anyone would agree that March 2012 was a far better month than June 2012 even though it was colder.

Totally agree with this.  You could have a sunny dry month where the average high was 20°C and the average low was 10°C, which would equal a mean temperature of 15°C, below average for July in the CET region.  But most people would consider that quite a pleasant month. 

 

But you could also have a cloudy wet month where the average high was 19°C and the average low was 13°C. This would equal a mean temperature of 16°C, about average for July in central England, but for most people it would be considered a crap month. 

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Yet another high summer Sunday evening ideal for having a BBQ.  The only thing now missing is snow*.

 

 

 

(irony*)

Yep. Noult better than firing up the BBQ on a lovely summers evening with the rain lashing in your face and getting blown away by the wind. Perfection! ????

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen a Ryanair take off climbing like  a rocket with the 40 knot headwind. Disappeared into the cloud about 1000ft. Wouldn't like to be on it I bet its a rough ride!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to prove my point, the CET is currently standing at 15.7°C, 0.2°C above the 1961-1990 average. But of course, that doesn’t tell you the whole story. If you change “mean” in the URL to “Min/Max” you will see the average max and min temperatures. The Max CET is currently standing at just 18.6°C, a whole 1.5°C below the 1961-1990 average. And the Min CET is standing at 13.1°C, 2.1°C above the 1961-1990 averages. So only a 5.5°C difference between the day and night temperatures at the moment. Often the case with very cloudy and wet months in the summer.

 

Yesterday for example was persistent light rain/drizzle all day and I had a max of 15°C and a minimum of 14°C. Such a small durinial temperature range is quite unusual in the summer.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Blowing a gale out there and I'm far from the worst affected areas. Probably 'feels' and 'sounds' worse than it actually is as trees are in full leaf. Definitely feels like autumn as opposed to high summer.

Tomorrow looks like to be a repeat of today. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

While it didn't feel as autumnal today it does now as the breeze is still there and the air feels cooler tonight that it was last night. On a positive note,the skies clearer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Some torrential rain showers here and still quite windy. Worst summer since 2012 here for sure now. I didn’t think I’d see a worse summer than 2017 but this has definitely beat it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My average high for July to 6th so far is 4°C below average. This is about as much below average as 2018 was above average. It's pretty much the "anti-2018" summer. The only worse July than this one in my records is that of 2007 which I remember for its constant darkness, 12 degree highs and lashing rain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say I hoped for better today, had some sun this morning but shallow Cu has infilled and a chilly breeze from the north west has pegged temps back to 18/19C, so another day mostly 3-4C below average. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

While bad I think some are OTT, it's a bit early to call July akin to 07, 11, 12 and June was better than last year (people forget that the first 20 days were comparable to 07).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alderc said:

Have to say I hoped for better today, had some sun this morning but shallow Cu has infilled and a chilly breeze from the north west has pegged temps back to 18/19C, so another day mostly 3-4C below average. 

Same here only its 13/14c. At least the foul wind has done one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Had to wear a proper coat on my lunchbreak today. Even as someone who hates hot weather, this is too chilly for me.

 

2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

While bad I think some are OTT, it's a bit early to call July akin to 07, 11, 12 and June was better than last year (people forget that the first 20 days were comparable to 07).

It might not be close to the dire 2007, 11 and 12, but you have to admit it’s still pretty poor. Also, June wasn’t anything special. We did have some decent hot and sunny weather, but there were an awful lot of cloudy unsettled days.

Still time to salvage the summer of 2020, if things improve between now and late August. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

 

It might not be close to the dire 2007, 11 and 12, but you have to admit it’s still pretty poor. Also, June wasn’t anything special. We did have some decent hot and sunny weather, but there were an awful lot of cloudy unsettled days.

Still time to salvage the summer of 2020, if things improve between now and late August. 

At the moment it's been fairly similar to summer 2019, but it was about this time last year that summer settled down, with most days in the mid 20s until early September.

Forecast looks like it'll be average to warm and dry over the next 2 weeks. A repeat of last summer wouldn't be bad, if it could be a bit sunnier (July and August both averaged over 25c here).

Though saying that, we will probably have to wait another 15 years to get a warm August, seeing as we had 2 in the last 2 years. Still waiting for a hot August though.

Edited by B87
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

At the moment it's been fairly similar to summer 2019, but it was about this time last year that summer settled down, with most days in the mid 20s until early September.

Forecast looks like it'll be average to warm and dry over the next 2 weeks. A repeat of last summer wouldn't be bad, if it could be a bit sunnier (July and August both averaged over 25c here).

Though saying that, we will probably have to wait another 15 years to get a warm August, seeing as we had 2 in the last 2 years. Still waiting for a hot August though.

Weird quick is the only three summers to average 25C in both July and August in London: 1976, 1995 and 2019. It was very warm in London. If it had had a little bit more sunshine it would be a solid classic

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Leo97t said:

Weird quick is the only three summers to average 25C in both July and August in London: 1976, 1995 and 2019. It was very warm in London. If it had had a little bit more sunshine it would be a solid classic

June was cloudy, and both June and July were wet last summer. The summers of 1983, 1989, 1990, 2003, 2018 all came close, but nobody would say summer 2019 was as good as those years.

I think July will end up close to average, but I don't have high hopes for August. It almost always underperforms these days, as opposed to July which is always either average or warm.

Edited by B87
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

 Some torrential rain showers here and still quite windy. Worst summer since 2012 here for sure now. I didn’t think I’d see a worse summer than 2017 but this has definitely beat it.

how can it be a worse summer? its only July 6th? not even halfway through yet

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...