Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, adam93 said:

Really missing going abroad this year when the weather is like this, it’s been one of the worst “summer” weeks for a good few years. Hoping things start to pick up soon. 

Spare a thought for me. I haven't been a plane since 2005!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
26 minutes ago, B87 said:

19-21c in July is not acceptable.

So who would you complain to regarding the unacceptable weather?...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
29 minutes ago, B87 said:

So cooler and cloudier than average, and plenty of time for it to be wetter than average in the 2nd half of the month.

I was looking at the 2nd week of the month though, as the first week looks near normal. 19-21c in July is not acceptable.

Your posts baffle me. London is not the tropical paradise you make it out to be (it legit feels like most of your posts are about trying to push that idea) and scattered clouds with temperatures in the low 20s for the second week of July is *totally normal* for London. Most July max-temp averages for London are 23C -- not 56C or whatever else you claim it might be -- and I see a range of 21-26C in the forecast you linked. So what, exactly, are you moaning about?

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, B87 said:

So cooler and cloudier than average, and plenty of time for it to be wetter than average in the 2nd half of the month.

I was looking at the 2nd week of the month though, as the first week looks near normal. 19-21c in July is not acceptable.

Spare a thought for those of us in Lancashire! Another filthy wet day in what is supposed to be "high summer". Temps no better than the mid teens, cold, damp and breezy. At the moment we're getting that horrible fine rain that soaks you through. Absolutely dire. It's like Winter 19/20 all over again, only slightly warmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I would like to take a foreign trip to Ponta Delgada. It looks lovely there. There's a caldera you can go and explore with beautiful scenery and it's a temperate climate with temps in the low-mid 20's, perfection.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
9 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Your posts baffle me. London is not the tropical paradise you make it out to be (it legit feels like most of your posts are about trying to push that idea) and scattered clouds with temperatures in the low 20s for the second week of July is *totally normal* for London. Most July max-temp averages for London are 23C -- not 56C or whatever else you claim it might be -- and I see a range of 21-26C in the forecast you linked. So what, exactly, are you moaning about?

I'm not making London out to be a tropical paradise, and the forecast has since changed from the 19-21c dross, to slightly more acceptable 21-23c in the 2nd week.

The next 7 days look completely normal, the 2nd week looked anything but.

I'd be completely happy with average conditions through July and August (those being 23-24c averages, with partly cloudy skies and 7-9 days with rain per month).

Edited by B87

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

2nd week of July and the SE joins in the 2007-esque horrow show party.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

That looks like perfectly normal summer weather to me, even for the south east. Barely any rain, plenty of sun, and temps in the 21-26C range. What exactly are you complaining about? I certainly wish I was getting the weather that you were getting, instead of the filth that I have to put up with. I even put my heating on yesterday afternoon, as it was only 18C in the living room. Yes, that's how bad things get up here. Perhaps you should spend a summer up here in the North West of England and then maybe you'd appreciate your own climate a little more, spoiled London boy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

That looks like perfectly normal summer weather to me, even for the south east. Barely any rain, plenty of sun, and temps in the 21-26C range. What exactly are you complaining about? I certainly wish I was getting the weather that you were getting, instead of the filth that I have to put up with. I even put my heating on yesterday afternoon, as it was only 18C in the living room. Yes, that's how bad things get up here. Perhaps you should spend a summer up here in the North West of England and then maybe you'd appreciate your own climate a little more, spoiled London boy.

The forecast for the 2nd week has changed since I orginally posted it, when it was showing 19-21c highs (so 3-5c below average for mid-July) and overcast. 

A week of 21c and cloudy is acceptable if we get a week of 27-28c and sun to offset it afterwards.

Edited by B87

Posted
9 minutes ago, B87 said:

I'm not making London out to be a tropical paradise, and the forecast has since changed from the 19-21c dross, to slightly more acceptable 21-23c in the 2nd week.

The next 7 days look completely normal, the 2nd week looked anything but.

I'd be completely happy with average conditions through July and August (those being 23-24c averages, with partly cloudy skies and 7-9 days with rain per month).

It was 19-23C for most of last July here, and most of the time the weather was very pleasant, even a bit hot at times. I guess it's all relative though.

Posted
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

It was 19-23C for most of last July here, and most of the time the weather was very pleasant, even a bit hot at times. I guess it's all relative though.

If your average high in July is 20c (for example), I'm sure you'd be annoyed if you had the entire week at 15-17c and cloudy or mostly cloudy. That's the equivalent of what I was complaining about.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, B87 said:

If your average high in July is 20c (for example), I'm sure you'd be annoyed if you had the entire week at 15-17c and cloudy or mostly cloudy. That's the equivalent of what I was complaining about.

Indeed. This is what I have to put up with...

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

weather Burnley 8 days: Rain risk - Wind - UV index - Sunshine hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
28 minutes ago, B87 said:

Add in the breeze and you’ve got a real below average feel to things 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Spare a thought for those of us in Lancashire! Another filthy wet day in what is supposed to be "high summer". Temps no better than the mid teens, cold, damp and breezy. At the moment we're getting that horrible fine rain that soaks you through. Absolutely dire. It's like Winter 19/20 all over again, only slightly warmer.

Yes a shocker here today also here in the  Pennines,forcast of 30 to 50% chance of rain has resulted in persistant light rain the entire day,15 deg,came home and the wife has the gas fire on the 3rd time this week the only plus side is it isnt the 12 degrees high we had a few days ago.Amazing how it has changed from one of the best springs we have seen and potentially with no end in sight and August now an autumn month it could possibly end up a summer to rival 2008 or 2012!

Posted

How can the MetO say over the last few days that, for the end of July, "temperatures are expected to be above average overall"... then today, for the same period, say "temperatures generally around average or slightly below".

What's the point of their extended outlook? Is it ever right?

Another sub 19C day, with the wind it feels really chilly, won't be long until the rain is here to totally ruin the evening as well. Despite next week looking better few days look calm and sunny, most will be cloudy, breezy and will struggle to 20/21C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

For myself no complaints at all with this weather,finding it far better for working in. Understand many are disappointed thought. Visited a site in Corby this week,on their shop floor in the hot spell they had temps were over 51c! Suspect strongly they also welcome the cooler weather somehow!

Posted

I see after 9/10 days of predicting the second half of  July to settle down and It to turn "much" warmer by the 20th of the month

The met office as gone back to it being less settled and below average. Pointless really but so typical of long range forecasts..I don't know why anyone even bothers.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Another sub 19C day, with the wind it feels really chilly, won't be long until the rain is here to totally ruin the evening as well. Despite next week looking better few days look calm and sunny, most will be cloudy, breezy and will struggle to 20/21C.

Does that mean it;s 18c? In which case, luck you.

I struggle to get to 13c most days now, with frequent wind and rain.

Posted
7 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

How can the MetO say over the last few days that, for the end of July, "temperatures are expected to be above average overall"... then today, for the same period, say "temperatures generally around average or slightly below".

That’s always been my point. Next to useless.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
10 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

complete waste of time. A joke

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Djdazzle said:

That’s always been my point. Next to useless.

Predicting the longer range weather (10 to 30 days) is a bit like predicting the economy. Long term weather forecasters are a bit like Economists. They're not much good at predicting the future but excellent and telling us why a certain thing has happened after the event. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Does that mean it;s 18c? In which case, luck you.

I struggle to get to 13c most days now, with frequent wind and rain.

Looks like its maxed about 18.2C, July max is 22C and over the last 7 years its 23.6C......so its bad enough. Any max below 18C in July is pretty rare here, only 5 in the last 7 years. 

Posted

It doesn't take an Einstein to realize once we get stuck in this pattern of west to north-westerly (like most summers).

No point in predicting a weather pattern change. It doesn't happen very often.. Not in the time frame we would like it to it..

North-westerlies  ruin English summers just like It ruins the winters (if your looking for snow and cold)

Posted

It feels like apart from April and May, since August last year we’ve just been in a permanent autumn in a never ending cycle of cloud, wind and rain with few settled and sunny days. Sick of rain and gloomy grey skies day after day. Please stop!

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

For myself no complaints at all with this weather,finding it far better for working in. Understand many are disappointed thought. Visited a site in Corby this week,on their shop floor in the hot spell they had temps were over 51c! Suspect strongly they also welcome the cooler weather somehow!

Surely even you must be getting fed up of the absolutely atrocious weather that we’ve had over the last few days. Unless it’s been a bit better over in sunny Sheffield? 51°C on the shopfloor. Surely not? What do they sell? Cast iron?