Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

Posted Images

In my opinion, I would say that this has been a so so summer. The reason why I say this is because of how boring July was. June wasn't too bad but August was by far my favourite summer month this year due to how erratic it has been. Blazing hot temperatures followed by thunderstorms, a couple of named storms and then a cooler period towards the end. I particularly enjoyed the thunderstorms. 😀

June - 6/10
July - 3/10
August - 10/10

Summer 2020 overall - 6/10

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the stormy week in the second week of August was quite notable. I think I heard thunder and saw lightning on at least 3 or 4 days in London. And although I didn’t catch an overhead storm, I saw lightning and heard storms on 3 separate evenings. The Sunday August 16th was the most notable. 
 

Since then, it felt like autumn started to take a hold, although gradually. It wasn’t until this bank holiday weekend, where the temps have really started to feel cold for August. 

Oh well, farewell to summer 2020. Some nice days were had, but too much dull weather spoiled it for me. The early August hot spell was lovely, even though nights were uncomfortable, the late June hot snap, and the long warmish sunny May. 
 

Now, it’s all downhill as we move into September and the countdown to winter 2020/21 starts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/08/2020 at 14:41, markyo said:

I suggest you take a look at the title of this thread!🤣

Fair enough, it does get boring though when people just whine about the transitory heat without doing anything about it (on the other hand, it seems like a fair few posters have sensibly sorted out some sort of air cooling system).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice end to Summer 2020, just like it started with a 2-3 days of sunny dry weather, albeit very cool nights, pity the rest of the summer in the main was below standard, for long periods very below standard, bar the two spells in late June - very short, and more lengthy spell earlier in August. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Fair enough, it does get boring though when people just whine about the transitory heat without doing anything about it (on the other hand, it seems like a fair few posters have sensibly sorted out some sort of air cooling system).

Don’t worry, Marky and others will be back next summer or whenever to temps start to reach the dizzy heights of 25c and whine about how unbearable it is lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Don’t worry, Marky and others will be back next summer or whenever to temps start to reach the dizzy heights of 25c and whine about how unbearable it is lol.

eh up, I'm Marky! but 25C is best summer temp, not me me moaning

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Don’t worry, Marky and others will be back next summer or whenever to temps start to reach the dizzy heights of 25c and whine about how unbearable it is lol.

Hehe, true. At least he has air conditioning, unlike many of the other regular whingers!

Reasonable last day of summer here, some sunny spells but a heavy shower arrived this evening and it feels quite chilly now. Have a strong gut feeling that this autumn and some of the winter will be very chilly indeed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Hehe, true. At least he has air conditioning, unlike many of the other regular whingers!

Reasonable last day of summer here, some sunny spells but a heavy shower arrived this evening and it feels quite chilly now. Have a strong gut feeling that this autumn and some of the winter will be very chilly indeed. 

I think Eastern Europe will get a very cold winter, after the mild one of last year. The snow will be back with a vengeance.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think Eastern Europe will get a very cold winter, after the mild one of last year. The snow will be back with a vengeance.

Think the UK will join in on that cold, too. We didn’t have a winter here, very little happened weather-wise, it was so weird. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Think the UK will join in on that cold, too. We didn’t have a winter here, very little happened weather-wise, it was so weird. 

Minus 30c to -40c in Moscow. Cold north easterlies👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Manchester Summer Indices: one of the poorest. Temperatures have kept it from being it even lower

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
2020 182

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices: one of the poorest. Temperatures have kept it from being it even lower

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
2020 182

I take it it's low sunshine levels that are the main factor here? Although it has been a poor summer, I certainly won't remember it as being as poor as 2007, 2008 or 2012.

At least this year we've had some memorable hot spells. I also reckon it has been considerably better in parts of the south than it has in the Manchester area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

I take it it's low sunshine levels that are the main factor here? Although it has been a poor summer, I certainly won't remember it as being as poor as 2007, 2008 or 2012.

At least this year we've had some memorable hot spells. I also reckon it has been considerably better in parts of the south than it has in the Manchester area.

Yes and frequent rain days and this had led to it probably being the 5th wettest summer, regionally, very close to overtaking summer 2007 rainfall total. Summer 2007 going down the pan didn't really start until near mid June. The first two weeks of June were warm, very dry and about average sunshine and August wasn't as bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yes and frequent rain days and this had led to it probably being the 5th wettest summer, regionally, very close to overtaking summer 2007 rainfall total. Summer 2007 going down the pan didn't really start until near mid June. The first two weeks of June were warm, very dry and about average sunshine and August wasn't as bad.

I remember the early June spell in 2007, but I recall hardly any very warm/hot days after that. 

At least this year we've reached 30C on more than one occasion- I can't imagine that happened in many of those other years that have a similar summer index.

There were a couple of days earlier in August that were the hottest feeling days I've ever felt in the Manchester area with the heat and humidity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely dismal here. I find myself wondering where June and July went as every day was just grey, cloudy, monotonous rain. July especially was dire with only the 31st being above 21c.

390mm of rain vs 327hrs of sunshine means my tomatoes, peppers and corn haven't done particularly well at ripening 🥺

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...