Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Still very mild/warm at night. Currently 20C outside at 1am. I don't think temps have been below 16C at night locally for over 2 weeks now. Quite a turnaround from the multiple single digit nights during July. Difficult to cool down in my flat even after a below average daytime maxima. Looks like over the coming weekend Sunday night will drop to a more refreshing 12C.

Edited by audiotech
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Had a few cooler nights here with temperatures in the mid teens instead of high teens but tonight is back to being a warmer night again. Doesn't feel as hot inside as it did last time the nights were warm though as the day was obviously a lot cooler. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Looking at the last 5 nights at Heathrow, only 1 stands out for being warm. 

18.5c, 15.0c, 16.2c, 14.8c, 16.0c.

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted

Sunday night felt warm, even after those storms, but the humidity has definitely dropped since the storms of last week. 

I wonder if we will see another plume before summer is over?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, B87 said:

Looking at the last 5 nights at Heathrow, only 1 stands out for being warm. 

18.5c, 15.0c, 16.2c, 14.8c, 16.0c.

All of those are above the average low (13.7c) though, three of them way above.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
46 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

All of those are above the average low (13.7c) though, three of them way above.

18c lows happen a handful of times per summer though. All the others are very common minima to record in summer, especially in cloudy months.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, B87 said:

18c lows happen a handful of times per summer though. All the others are very common minima to record in summer, especially in cloudy months.

Yeah, 1980 was poor, but the August that year recorded warm overnight lows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

It’s mid August - question for you...has anyone seen any wasps?  I think I’ve seen 3 all month.  Where are they all?  I’m not complaining, i detest the things.  But there must be a reason why there are so few (around here, anyway).  The very dry spring, maybe?  Or some weird consequence of lockdown measures earlier in the year.

Anyone know?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Quite a nice day today here in the NW region. Sunny intervals and around 22 degrees, with a moderate breeze. A pleasant summers day. ?

6E186C8A-EDCA-4ABA-994F-9D619501B64C.jpeg

F6A3AFBC-DD1B-47E4-B3A7-F9F86803945F.jpeg

72D82DC4-F6D1-48B3-B024-F7A1185A87D6.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
44 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It’s mid August - question for you...has anyone seen any wasps?  I think I’ve seen 3 all month.  Where are they all?  I’m not complaining, i detest the things.  But there must be a reason why there are so few (around here, anyway).  The very dry spring, maybe?  Or some weird consequence of lockdown measures earlier in the year.

Anyone know?

Yes, seen very few wasps here this year as well, and I don’t think I’ve seen any this August, which would normally be the worst time for wasps. Like you I’m not complaining, it’s a welcome change to be able to open your windows and let in the lovely fresh air without having to worry about wasps flying in.

I remember seeing a few wasps in the spring and a lot in spring 2019 but barely any this summer for some reason, no idea why that would be though.

Heard a few horrifying stories about people on the Jeremy Vine show about wasps and other insects stuck in their ear. Eek!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

Anyone know?

I think it was the cooler June and July periods, as I don’t think the dry spring would stop them from coming out.

I’ve seen a few in my flat since June. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it was the cooler June and July periods, as I don’t think the dry spring would stop them from coming out.

Plenty on my apple tree taking advantage of the apples the birds open up. Too busy to bother stinging anyone when they are full and drunk on the sugars

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ve seen them in February so I can’t see how a slightly cooler July could affect them? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

Anyone know?

Not seen many either where I live in Central Scotland. 
I’ve got at least 2 causing havoc in the house and when sitting with a beer out in the garden they always seem to find it

Im thinking they are saving themselves up for the end of the month to bombard us.

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, matt111 said:

Had a few cooler nights here with temperatures in the mid teens instead of high teens but tonight is back to being a warmer night again. Doesn't feel as hot inside as it did last time the nights were warm though as the day was obviously a lot cooler. 

I’m enjoying the mild nights as it stops the house from getting too cold. I’m in a 1930’s bungalow though, so it’s cooler than most other houses, so I understand other people not liking the warm nights if it’s making it uncomfortable to sleep.

Posted

Relatively quiet on here today, compared to the excitement when we had the storms and heat last week. Thought there would be a few people commenting on the windy conditions out in the west, it’s not been particularly windy here today but I know that western coasts were forecast to get 50-60 mph wind gusts last night.

I was quite disappointed last night with the lack of wind, was hoping for a good blow. Hopefully more wind tomorrow.

Posted
6 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Anyone know?

They're all here at the moment, along with an insane number of mosquitoes. You can't even go walking during the day without getting eaten alive. I was wearing repellant and still got bitten.

A shame really because the weather today was glorious - 29C and cloudless. Some really nice views of Devín Castle and neighbouring parts of Austria.

IMG_20200820_183848.thumb.jpg.a85cb3e2fb80f4b90a0dbceef8616ec0.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

They're all here at the moment, along with an insane number of mosquitoes. You can't even go walking during the day without getting eaten alive. I was wearing repellant and still got bitten.

A shame really because the weather today was glorious - 29C and cloudless. Some really nice views of Devín Castle and neighbouring parts of Austria.

IMG_20200820_183848.thumb.jpg.a85cb3e2fb80f4b90a0dbceef8616ec0.jpg

That looks beautiful. What a shame about the wasps and mosquitos. 

Posted

It’s been a nice day today here in the north-west of England. Long sunny spells and highs of around 22°C. Not too windy either, just a pleasant breeze.

My naughty tortoiseshell cat has sneaked out and is refusing to come back in, every time I approach her she just runs off lol. She often does this on balmy summer nights. Not had much wind so far here but the wind is starting to pick up a bit outside. Supposed to be more windy tommorow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

No sign of summer letting up here in Prague, was a hot and sunny day today (29°C). Tomorrow looks uncomfortably hot at 34°C but then there could be some decent thunderstorms on Saturday, triggered by a cold front moving in from the W. Fingers crossed. There are a few wasps here but nothing out of the ordinary. I noticed some rather large bats flying around this evening. Also have been having our evening visits from a Hummingbird Hawk Moth, it is very cute and moves very fast.

1D9EDF23-D68C-4423-8559-703E3F0DF793.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

No sign of summer letting up here in Prague, was a hot and sunny day today (29°C). Tomorrow looks uncomfortably hot at 34°C but then there could be some decent thunderstorms on Saturday, triggered by a cold front moving in from the W. Fingers crossed. There are a few wasps here but nothing out of the ordinary. I noticed some rather large bats flying around this evening. Also have been having our evening visits from a Hummingbird Hawk Moth, it is very cute and moves very fast.

1D9EDF23-D68C-4423-8559-703E3F0DF793.jpeg

Hopefully you’ll get some nice pleasant weather in the low to mid 20’s in September and October, while in the U.K. we’ll probably get wind, rain and mid teens temps.

• Like 1

Posted

I’m surprised it hasn’t been busier on here today, considering we’re supposed to be under the hammer from a deep low with tropical origins. It hasn’t been very windy here so far, but I know that western coastal areas were supposed to get a good blow, with forecast wind gusts of 50/60 mph, but so far I’ve heard nothing. Was the storm overcooked?

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m surprised it hasn’t been busier on here today, considering we’re supposed to be under the hammer from a deep low 

It's mainly a Western storm and if it ain't happening in the South East it ain't worth talking about.

There has been strong winds here for a couple of days with intermittent downpours.

Localised flooding on already sodden ground after months of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
9 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Anyone know?

I could count using the fingers on just the one of my hands how many wasps I have seen throughout this summer. One tried to fly through my open window earlier on today but it thankfully flew away after about a minute. I despise those pesky little creatures.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2