Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    22 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, I do wonder why some people are on here if all they want is average, average, average all year round. Especially in our generally boring climate, where decent summer weather isn’t the rule. Plenty of time for chilly mists and fogs, etc, they certainly do have their beauty but at the right time of year.

Why don't we all just moan? I think I'll moan about other people who moan about other people who moan...and, eventually will discover whomever it was that was actually moaning about the weather!?:crazy::oldlaugh:

• Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.7k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
    10 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Why don't we all just moan? I think I'll moan about other people who moan about other people who moan...and, eventually will discover whomever it was that was actually moaning about the weather!?:crazy::oldlaugh:

Good idea 🤣 Good luck 😉 

• Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers
    43 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Is it just me or do the trees seem really autumnal? Lots of leaves have fallen off and many trees looking rather autumnal 

Yea i've noticed lot's of leaf fall in central London. There are big piles of brown leaves.. Could be due to lack of water? heat? 

Posted
    1 hour ago, markyo said:

And the moaning and complaining really begins i can see...after what has been the hottest spell in decades some just aren't satisfied they want more. Amazing!

It won’t be remembered. Summer 2020 is still quite poor. Only the first half of August has been decent summer weather. June and July were cloud fests.

Summer 2018 was much better, because of the longer run of sunny days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
    11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It won’t be remembered. Summer 2020 is still quite poor. Only the first half of August has been decent summer weather. June and July were cloud fests.

Summer 2018 was much better, because of the longer run of sunny days.

late March to June 2 had many good days, then few days late June

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
    41 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Yea i've noticed lot's of leaf fall in central London. There are big piles of brown leaves.. Could be due to lack of water? heat? 

1 week of heat wouldn't stress trees that much. Outside of last week it hasn't been a particularly warm or dry summer, it's been distinctly average. Are they leaves (horse chestnut often falls to leaf miners) or linden seed 'wings'?

Edited by B87
    Posted

All the constant  moaning about the hot weather,surprised people arent jumping for joy its turning much cooler and unsettled soon,and this is supposed to be a weather enthusiasts forum,where weather extremes when they arrlve like heatwaves you would think would be embraced,not just constantly moaned about.Be the same if we ever get a proper cold spell this Winter,as if...

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it
    1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Wow, wanting warmth and sunshine in summer, who’d believe it? I guess it’s now a crime 🤪🤪

And i rest my case🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
    Just now, markyo said:

And i rest my case🤣

If only you would 🤣

• Like 1
    Posted
    Just now, stainesbloke said:

If only you would 🤣

🤣...touche

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

I thought that too but also I thought hot summers led to delayed leaf fall - like we had a good autumn last year in terms of foliage and the timing of it and that was cited because of a wet august. speaking of which it has absolutely chucked it down here in Essex today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers
    1 hour ago, B87 said:

1 week of heat wouldn't stress trees that much. Outside of last week it hasn't been a particularly warm or dry summer, it's been distinctly average. Are they leaves (horse chestnut often falls to leaf miners) or linden seed 'wings'?

Yep definitely leaves, big piles of them every now and then. Adding to the autumnal feel today..

IMG-9339.thumb.JPG.199ef5d671b8715a2351eb72cd690db5.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
    1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Yep definitely leaves, big piles of them every now and then. Adding to the autumnal feel today..

They look like plane leaves, which is strange as they usually don't fall until November/December.

Posted
    1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

TBF I started noticing this back in July which was very autumnal. It's like someones swapped August with July and vice versa. Interesting outlook for autumn and winter - suggesting midler than average but last time they said average to cooler, and they originally predicted july would be above average when it wasn't. wait and see I guess

Posted
    1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

TBF I started noticing this back in July which was very autumnal. It's like someones swapped August with July and vice versa. Interesting outlook for autumn and winter - suggesting midler than average but last time they said average to cooler, and they originally predicted july would be above average when it wasn't. wait and see I guess

I have a feeling winter 20/21 will be a colder one and could take us by surprise.

Posted
    2 hours ago, qwertyK said:

I thought that too but also I thought hot summers led to delayed leaf fall - like we had a good autumn last year in terms of foliage and the timing of it and that was cited because of a wet august. speaking of which it has absolutely chucked it down here in Essex today

This summer hasn’t been hot. It’s been warm in periods of the summer, but not a hot one. 

Posted
    3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

late March to June 2 had many good days, then few days late June

But that was spring, and yes it was a nice period of sunny weather, with cold mornings and evenings, and a fresh feel in the air, with also the gradual warming of daytime temps throughout the course of April into May. 

But the main summer of 2020 has been a disappointment. I’m not taking anything away from the spring of 2020, which was a nice spell. 

Posted
    30 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

But that was spring, and yes it was a nice period of sunny weather, with cold mornings and evenings, and a fresh feel in the air, with also the gradual warming of daytime temps throughout the course of April into May. 

But the main summer of 2020 has been a disappointment. I’m not taking anything away from the spring of 2020, which was a nice spell. 

Rightly or wrongly though this summer iwll probably be remembered in the media for the six day heatwave rather than the overwhelming majority of it beign rather uneventful. I see some bias looking towards the heat rather than ignoring the fact that July was below average - this is pretty unusual for any summer motnh, never mind thoes of recent years. 

Posted
    38 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I have a feeling winter 20/21 will be a colder one and could take us by surprise.

I hope so although it might not be great for COVID. Still, don't think it can possibly be worse than the last one. Even just a few days of tempreatures below 7/8C here in the south would be nice. I look back at January 2019 and think "swearing is not big or clever that was cold!" when I saw highs of 3C and lows of -5C some days. Then it became mild

Posted
    49 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

You never stop moaning lol

That really is a case of Pot calling Kettle black that after July!!!🤣.....and now even poor defenceless spiders are on your radar😮

Posted
    2 hours ago, markyo said:

That really is a case of Pot calling Kettle black that after July!!!🤣.....and now even poor defenceless spiders are on your radar😮

🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather
    2 hours ago, markyo said:

I suppose spiders themselves aren't really much of a problem. It's when you blink and you find that it's gone. Could be anywhere. 😮