Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
15 minutes ago, cheese said:

No storms here either. We had thunder in May on one day but that’s it so far this year.

Every morning has been foggy recently but it clears away by noon. 

Fingers crossed for July...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Getting some pretty loud rumbles here in east Lancashire ,as well as some moderate rainfall that has been going on for the last hour or so. 

Posted

Torrential rain now, a few flashes of lightning and some frequent loud rumbles.  Very dark too, street lights on.

Ahhhh, that's more like it. Finally a proper storm at last.  ☔️?⚡️⛈

Posted

Just had the biggest thunderstorm I’ve seen for quite a few years here in East Lancashire. Some frequent flashes and very loud  just had the biggest thunderstorm I seen for quite a few years here in East London issues. Some frequent flashes   and some very loud rumbles.  Will post videos in the morning. 

It feels so nice and fresh outside now.  Hopefully this will be the first of many thunderstorms to come this summer. We are well overdue a thundery summer. 

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Can't even get a distant show as the storm near Salisbury died just as it got dark. So the boredom continues 

• Like 2

Posted

Feels much fresher outside as well.  Needed a good storm to clear the air and water the grass as it still looked parched this morning.  They were thunderstorm warnings for all day yesterday for north-west region but as usual I missed out again I thought you were going to miss out on the storms again as we  so often have to lean recent years but we got lucky this time. Hopefully this decade would be much better for storms. 

Posted
30 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Just had the biggest thunderstorm I’ve seen for quite a few years here in East Lancashire. Some frequent flashes and very loud  just had the biggest thunderstorm I seen for quite a few years here in East London issues. Some frequent flashes   and some very loud rumbles.  Will post videos in the morning. 

It feels so nice and fresh outside now.  Hopefully this will be the first of many thunderstorms to come this summer. We are well overdue a thundery summer. 

I have a feeling 2020 will be the summer of thunderstorms. Storms seem to be a feature in the weather forecasts at the moment, although London has missed them. 

I’m feeling confident we will see one before Friday.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I have a feeling 2020 will be the summer of thunderstorms. Storms seem to be a feature in the weather forecasts at the moment, although London has missed them. 

I’m feeling confident we will see one before Friday.

Let's hope so. All gone quiet on the Lightning radar now. Hopefully there will be some more storms tommorow. Another yellow thunderstorm warning in force for NW England tommorow. Not that that guarantees anything though.

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

Can't even get a distant show as the storm near Salisbury died just as it got dark. So the boredom continues 

I'm sure you'll get lucky later in the summer. If it's any consolation, we don't get many storms here either, just 1 or 2 minor ones each year on average.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 hours ago, cheese said:

No storms here either. We had thunder in May on one day but that’s it so far this year.

Every morning has been foggy recently but it clears away by noon. 

5th morning on the trot, horrible sea fret, has cleared around 11.30 last 4 days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Is this really turning into yet another bone dry / dust bowl type summer where a bit of rain is just impossible for this area, dust blowing in the breeze, brown grass, seems like a recurring theme it’s like we have 2 seasons wet(autumn winter) and dry(Spring summer).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

5th morning on the trot, horrible sea fret, has cleared around 11.30 last 4 days

Hasn’t cleared at all here for a week, bring on a change in wind direction 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
8 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Is this really turning into yet another bone dry / dust bowl type summer where a bit of rain is just impossible for this area, dust blowing in the breeze, brown grass, seems like a recurring theme it’s like we have 2 seasons wet(autumn winter) and dry(Spring summer).

Think you’ve been unlucky if you’ve dodged every single shower or storm so far! I should think most places have seen something by now? We’re up to a mighty 17mm!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Think you’ve been unlucky if you’ve dodged every single shower or storm so far! I should think most places have seen something by now? We’re up to a mighty 17mm!

4th or 5th June there was a 10 minute very light drizzly shower the kind that barely wets the ground and that has been it since early-mid April, happens every year, English Channel is a convection killer 

Edited by Freeze

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Yeah, even London has had quite a bit of rain over the last two weeks. Just a lack of storms, apart from the rumbling on Saturday afternoon, then another brief storm the previous Saturday afternoon.

Posted

Another warm day here in the north-west region. Plenty of sunshine this afternoon and feeling very warm with a high of around 21°. Now currently overcast and 19° with around 70% humidity.  No rain or storms. Tomorrow is forecast to be raining for most of the day with highs of only 15°.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
10 hours ago, Freeze said:

Bet you've been watching the storms passing about 20 miles to the north all day too like I have. Bone dry here of course.

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Bet you've been watching the storms passing about 20 miles to the north all day too like I have. Bone dry here of course.

Absolutely, nice cloudscapes and all, but still very envious would like at least a heavy shower to sort the ground out around here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I think this has been a great June so far. We've been experiencing a mixture of many kinds of weather including thunderstorms. Fingers crossed that the thunderstorms will continue here and there throughout the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Looks like the first hot spell of the year shaping up next week! 30-32c for a couple of days.

Posted

Maybe it’ll finally go bang then !

Posted

9BDC7AA6-7FF6-41C4-8937-6B2C7E2B14E3.thumb.jpeg.44fbfc597f1636db6944452ad8ed4602.jpeg

Er - what in gods name is this?! It’s forecast to reach 37c in Verkhoyansk on Sunday. For those that don’t know, this is the town (along with Oymyakon) in Siberia that holds the cold record for the northern hemisphere at -67.8c in winter. It’s located at 67N - which is this line below. Inside the arctic circle. Getting a run of days that hot at that far north is just mind boggling. No wonder there is a crisis of melting permafrost in the arctic with weather like this happening far too regularly.

B1A9D1CB-75E2-4433-ABA3-21D178D25E28.thumb.jpeg.efeb75dd1153ecb7d76844727506c10d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

9BDC7AA6-7FF6-41C4-8937-6B2C7E2B14E3.thumb.jpeg.44fbfc597f1636db6944452ad8ed4602.jpeg

Er - what in gods name is this?! It’s forecast to reach 37c in Verkhoyansk on Sunday. For those that don’t know, this is the town (along with Oymyakon) in Siberia that holds the cold record for the northern hemisphere at -67.8c in winter. It’s located at 67N - which is this line below. Inside the arctic circle. Getting a run of days that hot at that far north is just mind boggling. No wonder there is a crisis of melting permafrost in the arctic with weather like this happening far too regularly.

B1A9D1CB-75E2-4433-ABA3-21D178D25E28.thumb.jpeg.efeb75dd1153ecb7d76844727506c10d.jpeg

Amazing that the sun has the strength that far north to lift the temps that high! Must be a seriously hot air mass. A really remarkable run of hot days forecast. It's notable looking at the 850 hPa charts just how warm the Arctic is at the moment- very little cool air left at all.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Amazing that the sun has the strength that far north to lift the temps that high! Must be a seriously hot air mass. A really remarkable run of hot days forecast. It's notable looking at the 850 hPa charts just how warm the Arctic is at the moment- very little cool air left at all.

There is a stagnant patch over very hot air (15-20c 850) that has been in situ a while. Verkhoyansk is in this circle I’ve crudely drawn below  

CDC7EEC2-A38D-4D25-840B-21D1E7BE0F25.thumb.jpeg.f61bc24a2c6265436a06b0ee214be88e.jpeg