Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - heading into April

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
10 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It probably won't in my opinion, and I'm sorry to say this, I see good summer weather to come but mainly in early part of summer, but I think it will go downhill from (my best estimate) mid July, as La Niña potentially takes hold and AAM drops, and SSTs are no longer sufficient to promote ridging  where we need it.  So my message is, if you like to be outdoors in hot sunny weather, do it now locally, if you wait until you can travel, the good weather might have gone by then.

Agree completely and I suspect this broadstroke prognosis will be close to the mark.

We avoided the washout summer prognosis I think- by virtue of a slow demise of the strat vortex, rather than a short sharp warming. This was the main sticking point for me with regards to whether we'd see some summer this year or have the early part written off.

Though kudos to yourself, you did say you thought it would be a slow vortex demise rather than a quick one!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

The mean is a blink and you will miss it affair.. Looks good before, and after, enjoy the rest of your evenings... I'm off to water the Garden..

EDM1-144.gif

EDM1-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-240.gif

SparklingPlainBream-poster.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM ensemble mean T144, showing clearly the unsettled blip, and T240 when all is well again, well as well as it can be....

image.thumb.jpg.5fc90965eaa97d3620aa37141feea317.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.bae75074cc32f34bca1892b938cb5dbb.jpg

The unsettled blip is going to happen, but it will be short.  Thereafter summer weather building from the south.  

• Like 9

Posted

Just incase you haven't viewed em, here are the ens.. Not a bad set, especially regarding the pressure rises after a brief decline. 

graphe0_00_254_86___.png

graphe1_00_254_86___.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
49 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It probably won't in my opinion, and I'm sorry to say this, I see good summer weather to come but mainly in early part of summer, but I think it will go downhill from (my best estimate) mid July, as La Niña potentially takes hold and AAM drops, and SSTs are no longer sufficient to promote ridging  where we need it.  So my message is, if you like to be outdoors in hot sunny weather, do it now locally, if you wait until you can travel, the good weather might have gone by then.

Looking forward to.my 2 weeks annual leave in June August is def my least favourite summer months feels like autumns round the corner and usually everywhere is way too busy I always book leave in June or July or September. Typically just as the kids break up from school the weathers gone to pot normally. Hope you're all right with the warm dry June predictions. Longest days better oomph to the sun. ECM looking promising still towards months end although a bit of a warm outlier 

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Into the night now, not that time means anything anymore....ICON 12z T126 v 18z T120

BC863C8D-2E50-4E57-B121-3DBE5301A73B.thumb.png.8fe6849b1464d813e589018661092310.png2BA9DD35-CA6A-48E9-B4D4-404A9E24967E.thumb.png.cdcc3c1600394fbb266baac68d714e17.png

Stronger heights (colours not contours) on the 18z, still a possibility this unsettled incursion will amount to little more than a breeze and some drizzle for most....on to the zoom run, but not for me, too many beers already!  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 9

Posted
22 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

GFS 18z continues to edge away from anything but a blip of a breakdown.

Yup an improvement on the 18z!hopefully more improvements on the 00zs!

• Like 3

Posted
56 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

GFS 18z continues to edge away from anything but a blip of a breakdown.

Hm well there’s some ridging more in S/E, out in cuckoo land I know beyond T192 but higher pressure over Greenland keeping U.K. on cool side of jet unsettled for north. Not a good run really.

B1F061DC-6FF1-4A41-9375-B399342EED41.thumb.gif.5247bd7c89c2370549b291d816e0e2dc.gif

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
11 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Hm well there’s some ridging more in S/E, out in cuckoo land I know beyond T192 but higher pressure over Greenland keeping U.K. on cool side of jet unsettled for north. Not a good run really.

B1F061DC-6FF1-4A41-9375-B399342EED41.thumb.gif.5247bd7c89c2370549b291d816e0e2dc.gif

Yes pretty poor. High can't seem to ridge enough north after next weekend. Still way to go yet. All can change. 

Posted

All models seek to rebuild high pressure after the blip, but with lots of variation in terms of location and strength. Generally, the further south and east you are, the better..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.6e0f0f9f9a51633eb60cdcd557fbb061.png

Here’s the rather wonderful ECM pressure ensemble - the mean is now at 1030mb at day 8! Not often we see that....looks great. Enjoy the sun!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Signs continue to *weaken* for Atlantic inroads...and again any incur looks shortlived at best...

The ens firing up the quickly back to high pressure domination!

And for fun im going solid  on 30c..to be breached between 27=30 may...southern England.

Ops and ens likely aligning further or both recurrence and heat sourcing...with the remaining wetter =cooler threat though for the more northern. Especially north western geographical points...

MT8_London_ens (24).png

temp4 (3).png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4

Posted

GFS continues (not surprisingly) to be the flattest option after the initial mini-breakdown by blowing up low pressure to a far greater extent than the other models. Looking like Thursday will be the hottest day this week with high twenties, possibly nudging 30. Westerly incursion on Fri / Sat, not a washout by any means and always more settled further south. Still massive uncertainly after that, but most models try to rebuild HP in one form or another.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I'll take this from the GFS on day 12 :oldgood:

855962944_h500slp(5).thumb.png.62e0d3d2a953db5e1a61a302d14d8177.png   756858918_h850t850eu(3).thumb.png.2ea2fd067db1af8c02c0fceb7fd579ad.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, dang me, Billy-Bob; it mightn't reach thirty but it might go out with a bang...Yes Siree, Bob!:oldgood:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Gaaaad bless America!

PS: Can one suffer from a vitamin-D overdose!:oldlaugh:

• Like 6

Posted

The 6z mean is by and large taking that low pressure towards the Iceland vicinity, and it looks like a stronger build of pressure quickly builds shortly afterwards. So in a nutshell perhaps a tad more unsettled, and thus more likely towards the W/NW and even this is not a certainly.. Its looking pretty good I would have though for area SE of this.. ☀️

gens-21-1-120.png

gens-21-1-144.png

gens-21-1-168.png

gens-21-1-192.png

gens-21-1-216.png

• Like 6

Posted

Quite a difference with the handling of the incoming trough on the ECM clusters. The op cluster the most pessimistic and not in the majority. Less settled for most but not a done deal in the SE just yet. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020051700_144.

Likely to see a strong ridge to our south by D10. Probably settled, then, and reasonably warm again, though I guess a risk of the jet running lows into the north.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020051700_240.

The ridge probably retreats back to the south-west by the end of May, possibly still influential for the UK but might allow a trough to the east and a more north or north-westerly influence. 

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2020051700_348.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, the GEFS 06Z temperature ensembles continue to hold-up quite well; surface temps largely between 15 and 20C. Not bad for late Spring?:oldgood:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

Having said that, the last three days of the op do look a tad scary!:shok:

• Like 6