Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - heading into April

Paul

2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I think,with all due respect, a bit of perspective is needed,we have had virtually 7 to 8 weeks of dry settled weather.We don't reside in Spain or Greece afterall ..

Quite! It was another knee-jerk post that's for sure. We will get cooler and unsettled spells. Nothing concrete to suggest these are going to last and ruin the summer which hasn't even started.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
7 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Said it yesterday and ill say it today, its an echo of 2012 in FI. Exactly what happened then when a trough squeezed in between two areas of high pressure and became stuck. 

My hopes for a 2018 repeat or at least a decent continuation of the warm and dry is eroding away at great pace. 

I can't see where you are coming from, to be honest, I cannot see any of this.  It is difficult to comment on the models at the moment, for me, and this is because in the reliable timeframe, it is continued high pressure and sunny weather, and in FI there is a change, potentially, but I can't in all honesty see any horror shows imminent!  So I am kind of refraining from commenting further until any pattern change gets firmed up, and trying, within the restrictions of lockdown, to enjoy the weather we currently have.  

For any further guidance on beyond one week, please read either @Tamara s excellent post earlier, or look at the MO contingency planners forecast.  

• Like 9

Posted

Evening all

Awaiting the 12Z from ECM but GEM shifted even further to GFS this evening and looking at the main models at T+168 for a change:

gem-0-168.png?12gfs-0-168.png?12gens-0-1-168.png

That's GEM, GFS OP and GFS Control with ECM to come. 

IF (and it's still a big IF) this verifies, GFS has done really well. The OP has consistently over the past few days modelled the HP cell to the NW or West in mid Atlantic and the other models have at this stage come toward it. It's not a done deal of course and not only could the signal flip completely but it may be the HP will extend enough of a ridge eastward to keep most of the British Isles dry if cool. 

We await the ECM 12Z - I'd be surprised if it was a as dramatic as this morning's output which developed quite a vigorous little LP and ran it south across the British Isles.,

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The ECM at 120,this is better...

ECM1-120.thumb.gif.02f0b7b4e241b3e0c980409c5ffe6a2f.gif

where has that Icelandic low gone! plus better heights into the Atlantic and Scandinavia. 

Edit 144.

ECM1-144.thumb.gif.ef1347073fbf838335638cda3256be2b.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Yeah good 12z ECM @120

ECM1-120.thumb.gif.ce24034f95f6875333a31e0c19909ec5.gif

144 isn't too bad but it looks better for the south than the north.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.gif.7976633f96044155c43585d45b62107b.gif

ECM day 7 - rain incoming!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So here we are...the 12Z ensembles are out, and it's a cooldown by Day 8ish. And, after that, it's what Toyah Wilcox might've called a mythterwy?:oldgrin: God, how those punk-new wave affected lithpth got my goat!

t850Bedfordshire.png    prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

The differences between this afternoons and this mornings ECM runs are laughable between days 5/6 really,as i stated above,no Icelandic low but yet we develop our own at day 7,the models are struggling as they always do from day 5.

• Like 3

ECM is not going to have a happy ending. Major northerly inbound. I know we've bad weeks of very usable weather and its highly likely this May could be the all-time sunniest month on record in Bournemouth but rubbish weather is rubbish and I don't like it. Was hoping TS Bertha might get caught up in the jet stream and stir things up but it looks like that wont happen so it looks like a cool and potentially changeable spell to kick of summer after the first day or two. Perfect timing for the kids going back to school..... 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Alderc said:

ECM is not going to have a happy ending. Major northerly inbound. I know we've bad weeks of very usable weather and its highly likely this May could be the all-time sunniest month on record in Bournemouth but rubbish weather is rubbish and I don't like it. Was hoping TS Bertha might get caught up in the jet stream and stir things up but it looks like that wont happen so it looks like a cool and potentially changeable spell to kick of summer after the first day or two. Perfect timing for the kids going back to school..... 

I don't know,the ECM at 216(well into fl i know)shifts that low some good 500 miles+ NE of what it was showing this morning

could this glancing blow miss us all together!!! 

Edited by Allseasons-si
correction
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I agree with part of this: bad weather is bad weather, and what comes before does not mark it any more bearable. However, the signs suggest that it won’t hang around for too long, nor will it be as extreme as some of the runs are indicating.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECM ends up ok - the 00z has the big low plonked on top Of the UK at day 10, tonight its a few hundred miles NE on top of our Scandinavian friends. Bit silly trying to glean too much at this range. FI chopping and changing wildly.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

The models are obviously struggling... At 168hrs there is not a low to our North... 24hours later... And Boom one has spawned.. That's a little extreme. Perhaps signs of the High flexing it's muscles by day 10 also... Its certainly not a major unsettled spell though 

ECM1-240.gif

• Like 7

Posted

I mean it’s inevitable to have some ‘bad’ weather after weeks and weeks of settled and warm conditions. I don’t know if I’d even call it bad personally, just cooler and unsettled. 

I for one would not like it if this settled weather carried on all the way to July or August without any sort of breakdown as it would almost certainly cause droughts and hosepipe bans.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

That wouldn't lead to much in the way of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

As I said this morning. The low will get pushed further and further east. What ever day 9/10. It is nowhere near guaranteed. 

Posted

ECM ensembles really turning the screw on the change to cooler, less settled weather by the end of next week. It will be hard to see this type of chart overturned, especially further north. 

EDM1-216.GIF?27-0

But that's still 9 days away. The mean is warmer than the op throughout the first part of next week, so plenty of good weather likely in the near future, even if a bit of an east breeze tempers the warmth on the odd day for some. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

Said it yesterday and ill say it today, its an echo of 2012 in FI. Exactly what happened then when a trough squeezed in between two areas of high pressure and became stuck. 

My hopes for a 2018 repeat or at least a decent continuation of the warm and dry is eroding away at great pace. 

One of the most dramatic posts I've ever read on this forum and that's saying something. 2018 wasn't warm all the way through by any means.

I distinctly remember a much cooler spell around the middle of June in 2018. 

This spring has been totally different to 2012 with very few parallels- so how you've come up with that comparison I have no idea.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Evening/morning all. Seen a lot of different opinions in here today. Been busy all day so didn't really see the 12z or this forum. Been a lot of people throwing Teddy's out of pram looking at the so called northerly incursion trend. That's all it is a trend. Its still over 8 days away which is an hell of a long time in weather. My thoughts from the 18z pub run and ensembles are the op shows plenty warm/very warm even some hot temps before mid next week with plenty clear sky's and no rain until at least mid next week after the gfs op shows a low drop south thru the weakening ridge. Which drops temp down average or just slightly below for about 36hrs until the low bringsin warmer air from the S. E. As it drops into France/Spain forget about after that for now. Doesnt sound too bad to me. OK on to the ensemble. Maybe just under half of the members follow the op bringing in about - 2 850s. 5 bring in 850s of about 5/6 and the rest bring in high 850s above 10.so I'm not entirely convinced that the cooler/unsettled from mid next week is certain and even if it does its only looking very very brief. Roll on the 00z P. S @Tamara great post thank you. I'm getting better at this lol

t2mSouth_Yorkshire.png18z ens not bad at all

Edited by weathermadbarnsleylad
Missed pic
  • Like 9