Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - heading into April

Paul

Posted

One thing that is concerning is there seems to be strong support for maybe not overly wet conditions but quite cold weather after day 10!!lets hope we see a downgrade on this over the next couple of days!!until then enjoy the heat!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Well..there are some charts from the GEFS 0z in early June that would have coldies swooning..if it was winter..but I’m not going to show those!!!!...instead here are some better ones..well, at least warmer ones!!!!!!!!☀️

EEB991D3-1BCB-41D3-B524-1981E827257D.thumb.png.1bf6fb98c6bed82131a285e1d9bdabd2.png2CCB130A-0D59-49B5-9750-A823C53DF011.thumb.png.d8ac5d0903076e7dc69aa694915f6d05.pngB79FD983-AB75-4F83-8B51-81425C721BAD.thumb.png.d9e4af2558286a689f05e026a7a33d04.png2BA994F7-1683-4D4E-8A3B-A75F99256237.thumb.png.a284efd441fee5fc2872e7dddf65a508.png3C054821-F380-42D4-AC77-B23FB3E72F9B.thumb.png.da729f8ba5e07b6248830bfa114449b6.png

In the meantime, enjoy the rest of this week, it’s certainly a cracker for the majority!

198B0D9B-C8C4-412F-B5BC-109FE08ED8D6.gif

Edited by JON SNOW
  • Like 7

Posted

ECM and GFS this morning both agreeing on next Thursday being the main day of change to something cooler, but very different in how, GFS pushing high pressure back in but the ECM looks like turning unsettled. Long way to run as to be expected. Headline for the reliable remains - lots of warm weather to come with low risk of rain. 

• Like 1

Models really not in good place this morning, massive differences by D8, GFS now has under the warmest conditions of the year to date with maxes approaching 30C across a wide portion of the south (decent support from its ensembles) and no real breakdown until D9/10, meanwhile at D8 ECM has low pressure with an associated trough aggressively tracking south which turns into a true horror show, the ECM D10 chart is as bad as you can get in summer, period, no exaggeration. GFS then I think actually offers a more realistic option with the trough less deep and further east than ECM. GEM & ICON more closely aligned with GFS IMO, UKMO hard to tell but appears to be closer to the ECM solutions. Place you bets!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

This morning's GFS 00Z wants to pull down a northerly wind on Day 8; a tad earlier than yesterday's run (I think?) but still outside the reliable time-frame:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

But, for whatever reason, I'm unable to view the GEFS ensembles, just now.:oldsad:

Edit: I've done my daily excursion into the BBC's 14-day forecast (for NR34) and that comes up with variable amounts of sunshine, daily maxes between 17 and 22C...and absolutely no rain!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.0ef9598fce8e15b548c694099da3b01a.pngimage.png

ECM miles out of line, but a trend to more unsettled is still clear to see on the ensembles.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.0ef9598fce8e15b548c694099da3b01a.pngimage.png

ECM miles out of line, but a trend to more unsettled is still clear to see on the ensembles.

Yes det likely a bit OTT but the trend to something less warm looks to be gathering momentum.

After nearly 2 months of virtual drought like conditions a breakdown is  to be expected sooner or later..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes det likely a bit OTT but the trend to something less warm looks to be gathering momentum.

After nearly 2 months of virtual drought like conditions a breakdown is  to be expected sooner or later..

Just as summer starts, standard....have to say while there is little evidence to suggest it just yet some of the output showing troughs anchored over the UK does concern me. These conditions often get blocked in during June for a week or two at a time.... 

Seems a cooler and more unsettled spell is likely as we enter June. Nothing to suggest at this time that it will be anything prolonged. We just don't know, though I understand the regular concerns of some members that June could be a poor month simply from the fact that with our climate there will always be that nagging worry that the good weather will disappear for months at a time!

Certain long-term forecasters on Twitter had pointed to May being more unsettled and changeable - nope. This likely change for June could be a delay of that prediction but more likely it is exactly what it looks like - one low pressure system bringing a spell of cooler and wetter weather for a time. How long it lasts is up for debate  

Posted
21 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Just as summer starts, standard....have to say while there is little evidence to suggest it just yet some of the output showing troughs anchored over the UK does concern me. These conditions often get blocked in during June for a week or two at a time.... 

I'd say the tide has been held back pretty well, but as we go into June it does look like some unsettled weather will finally arrive.

By day 10 the entire ECM ensemble range is between 1000-1015mb at the very best, so while we can't say exactly what this will mean at the surface, it's a pretty strong signal that changes are coming. Looks good for another week or so though, so not all doom and glom!

• Like 2

Posted

Changes are coming but just cos they are coming doesnt mean any meaningful rainfall!!might be cooler but still dry!!am sorry but the odd shower here and there will not cut it!!my lawn is going brown so i need a few days of heavy rainfall!!lol

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Anything that is forecast behond the weekend is pure speculation in my eyes. Some models do show some drop in pressure but I'm not convinced it's gonna be that easy to breakdown. By its still at day 9/10 so it's still FI. Gfs 6z looks different already early next week. High pressure over towards scandanavia looks more strong. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Out to Day 7, and things are still looking warm or very warm.:oldgood:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Sure is!

image.thumb.png.a7ace2485198ffddfd31565f0823679a.png

• Like 9

Posted

Gfs 6z is showing a northerly incursion by 200hrs. With an high out to the N.W I bet anything that northerly gets pushed east in further runs and the high will be more over the uk. Seen this before this spring when northerly was just watererd down. That's my bet. Anybody else feel that. I think we in for a special summer this year. No ramping lol

• Like 7

Posted

Be interesting if the ens follow the northerly incursion later. 

Posted
1 minute ago, weathermadbarnsleylad said:

Gfs 6z is showing a northerly incursion by 200hrs. With an high out to the N.W I bet anything that northerly gets pushed east in further runs and the high will be more over the uk. Seen this before this spring when northerly was just watererd down. That's my bet. Anybody else feel that. I think we in for a special summer this year. No ramping lol

Until it gets modelled in the reliable, I’m not buying it!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Nearly all enembles going for northerly all of a sudden on 00z run after day 9ish. Probs will change though again. Maybe, getting cooler but not much rain just yet i don't think.

• Like 1

Well there's something you don't see very often, two GFS Op's run out to T+200hrs that are almost identical. Again GFS drops the trough to the southwest of the UK through the middle of next week advecting in some very warming & humid conditions before the northerly takes over around Day 8/9...

Almost universal support from the GFS 06z emsembles of another spike in warmth through the middle part of next week as the trough becomes positioned favorably to our south west. Ingredients seems to be there for some TS activity as well,although as usual at this stage we must remember the only thing GFS is worse at than predicting surface temps is its moisture content, dew points of 16-19C will likely be way off the mark! GFS not keen on things getting cooler until at least the 5th June now.....