Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - heading into April

Paul

The 12Z GFS post the 24th is a cool outlier, in fact bottom of the pile for nearly three straight days. Much better agreement from the ensembles, especially in the period 24-28th where the mean is around 10-11C in the south, most are grouped nicely between 8 & 13C!

Posted
33 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

This is very significant, the pattern now being shown is the classic ridging from the Azores, breaking off to form separate highs over Scandi, jet stream north.  This will fuel the positive feedback loop with the SST anomaly, which is what lovers of heat and settled summer weather want.  The high retracting west, while still having influence on our weather, would have broken this feedback, so that is a significant shift from the models in favour of a decent start, and indeed first half of summer, I would suggest, in line with long range models.

That pattern crops up quite often in hot 1st halves of summer, it occurred in June/July 2006 for example multiple times, and to an extent in summer of 2018 as well. Not saying this summer will end up like those as it looks a little too mobile compared to those two thus far, however its an interesting trend to note.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM T192, just look at that swathe of pressure >1030 hPa

image.thumb.jpg.7324ee71bb772a2924dbcbacedb8f454.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3f86cf5b63b19462373d329dcc38d6c4.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8

Incredible ECM192, 1025mb high pressure from Eastern Kazakhstan, through Europe and then stretching across the Atlantic to eastern Canada! Blocky mcblock central....

Posted

JMA joining the party, T192:

image.thumb.jpg.0a198daf44964d86aa189c9e6361c64e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.a6b15fc2a3b811f5d1c774a501b582cd.jpg

The end of that run will be interesting, shame it doesn't come out until near midnight!  And don't forget, there are positive corrections to all of this still possible, there was one today compared to yesterday, as I mentioned earlier.  Everything on the 12z suite has been a step towards rather than away from proper summer conditions taking hold for some considerable time.  Great!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

JMA joining the party, T192:

image.thumb.jpg.0a198daf44964d86aa189c9e6361c64e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.a6b15fc2a3b811f5d1c774a501b582cd.jpg

The end of that run will be interesting, shame it doesn't come out until near midnight!  And don't forget, there are positive corrections to all of this still possible, there was one today compared to yesterday, as I mentioned earlier.  Everything on the 12z suite has been a step towards rather than away from proper summer conditions taking hold for some considerable time.  Great!

Looks great, no doubt about that. I think there is the possibility of everything backing west slightly towards the end of next week as pressure starts to fall, but until then it’s another good stretch of summery weather. This is turning into one of the best 3 month spring periods I can remember.....can’t really remember such a dry and consistently sunny one.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

GEFS 12Z ensembles looking good; even with op on the cooler side, I'm sure we can all cope with one day with uppers of 0C?:oldgrin:

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

And the ECMimage.thumb.png.a11f08d8089e54a9716891b12ce0da71.png  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
49 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM T192, just look at that swathe of pressure >1030 hPa

image.thumb.jpg.7324ee71bb772a2924dbcbacedb8f454.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3f86cf5b63b19462373d329dcc38d6c4.jpg

Yep and i also noticed a welcome warm smile from the ECM this evening

ECM1-192.thumb.gif.63eb10a39bb0eae44e7309ebb31bdbc5.gif

great models all around today,turn up the heat..

2017815009_tenor(1).thumb.gif.3e184d5004d4b29b1c813dc712929118.gif

• Like 9

Posted

ECM mean T192 and T240:

image.thumb.jpg.a4226b9f65c226f09c994147574ab132.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.44a2adb3df4eeae05d3b85f7cd67e379.jpg

Lovely sausage shaped 1030 region at T192, position slips on T240, but on the strength of today's op output compared to yesterday's, I expect this might change.  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Thanks at @Mike Poole stay safe and enjoy the upcoming weather, and that's goes for all of you gr8 netweather posters, always such an enthralling read.. ECM mean looks good, we are getting used to this now, long may it continue... I've posted the charts from day 7 onwards from both the 0z and 12z runs.. Basically spot the difference perhaps the high not as backed as far West on the 12s..my eyes are burning a little so I may have missed it... Gr8 stuff folks.. Enjoy your evening, and enjoy the upcoming fine spell. 

EDM1-168.gif

EDM1-192.gif

EDM1-216.gif

EDM1-240.gif

EDM1-168 (1).gif

EDM1-192 (1).gif

EDM1-216 (1).gif

EDM1-240 (1).gif

Edited by MATT☀️
  • Like 6

Posted
19 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Seeing as the ECM ensemble mean for London is showing a continuation of summer like conditions throughout the rest of the month, I was wondering what the record is for the amount of May days with somewhere recording temps in the 20s in the UK? As except for maybe this Saturday every other day looks to remain 20c+ for many of us. It very much feels like June/ July already down here with the high UV levels the same as late July

20200518_211120.jpg

Suspect Mays of 1992 and 2018 will have produced many days of 20 degree tops. Last week was preety cool, and I suspect there were days when 20 degrees wasn't breached.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Models showing a continuation of the very dry sunny and mostly warm conditions in the south and east at least for the foreseeable, in the north and west there has been a change recently to wetter conditions, and only Wednesday looks a reliably decent warm sunny day further north. Thursday-Saturday sees an atlantic low development - unusually deep for the time of year, strong winds and rain in the north and west Friday - not very May like.

Through the Bank Holiday weekend high pressure from the azores will be the main influential player, so a return to drier sunny and warm weather for all again, possibly becoming very warm in the SE early next week.

Latter stages of May, nothing too untoward shown from the models today, although GFS wants to bring in cooler atlantic air as the azores high backs west, we saw this shown in other models yesterday, today they show the high being more robust. The position of the azores high is crucial, will it stay in situ, build further east, build further west, even stevens on all three happening I think.

• Like 6

Posted
40 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Models showing a continuation of the very dry sunny and mostly warm conditions in the south and east at least for the foreseeable, in the north and west there has been a change recently to wetter conditions, and only Wednesday looks a reliably decent warm sunny day further north. Thursday-Saturday sees an atlantic low development - unusually deep for the time of year, strong winds and rain in the north and west Friday - not very May like.

Have you had a lot of rain in the Lake District then?

We have only had 6mm near Manchester Airport in the whole of May so far and it looks unlikely we will add to that in the foreseeable future.

It has been rather cloudy here for the past few days but no rain to speak of.

Brighter from tomorrow for much of NW England I think.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Lots of positive action within the models lately especially ECM. Looks like May could finish up being another dry month. Reminds me of May 2018 which was HP dominated, although synoptics were completely different then im wondering what it would take to shift into a pattern just like that in 2018?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Looks great, no doubt about that. I think there is the possibility of everything backing west slightly towards the end of next week as pressure starts to fall, but until then it’s another good stretch of summery weather. This is turning into one of the best 3 month spring periods I can remember.....can’t really remember such a dry and consistently sunny one.

2018?