Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
12 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Makes perfect sense to me.

Worth remembering though that the Peak might be in 10-14 weeks, but there will be a period of 4 weeks either side where things will be going up/down rapidly and thus based on this, I think April/May are probably also going to be very rough for the NHS, even if they do manage to push it back.

Using pure hard statistics, we are actually about 18 days behind Italy in terms of pure numerical numbers IF we follow the current curve most countries display. I'm guessing the hope is the measures in place will help to push that to make it 4 weeks behind Italy as said yesterday, but I've got massive doubts now that will be the case.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
15 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

So basically they want as many people to get it as possible, 

• Like 2

Posted

For us   ( myself and wife son)  we will carry on as normal   off to the pub tonight  lads going to father in laws  ( who is 72)  we will obviously stick to the guidlines  ie  washing hands etc    but i certainly wont let it effect our everyday lives.   A case for us of what will be will be 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Breaking: Everton first-team squad in self-isolation after a player reported symptoms

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
2 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Yes, effectively. Sounds crazy but IF a 2nd wave does come, there is a reasonable risk it comes through at least as severe as it is, and a small risk it comes through worse. That is what made Spanish Flu so severe, because the 2nd wave saw a spike in young adults. 

Of course if we are to get really unlucky and there is a mutation, this whole lot will be for nothing. However I wouldn't have the first clue what sort of odds that would be, I can only assume they have run the numbers and decided the risk is worth it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
59 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

If there was some kind of camp where I could go to to voluntarily get infected, recover, and then be released again (so as to contribute to herd immunity) then I would do it. Without wanting to sound arrogant I'm in a very low-risk group (23 and no underlying health conditions), so would be very willing to take that risk.

I wholeheartedly applaud this attitude.  I've been trying to imagine ways in which universal immunity could be could be brought about as quickly as possible but it cannot be done without some personal risk to those willing to be infected artificially.  

Although children might be least at risk they obviously cannot be expected to be experimented upon, but here's another suggestion....  

Athletes and sports people who are already extremely fit and healthy and unlikely to suffer serious ill effects - maybe they could volunteer to become immune by being given the virus and then recovering in isolation.  Once recovered and immune, they could then devote their time to easing the burden on carers by delivering food and other essentials to the most vulnerable including the elderly, sick and others who are most at risk.  

An opportunity for immensely well paid footballers to give something back to their communities, perhaps?

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

It is all getting very panic stricken/dramatic in here - you would think the grim reaper is about to pay us all a visit. 

@CreweCold for example you look about 25 to 30 years old - I’m sure you will be fine. 

I was in Ibrox last night with forty seven and a half thousand people - terrible result/performance but grateful I was able to watch my team in Europe with such a huge crowd. (Including 1000/1500 Germans) Most other clubs played behind closed doors or not at all.

I seen hundreds of ladies and gents over the age of 65 - all having a great time, singing and hugging strangers when Rangers scored. 

Everyone I know/see in my town going about their daily business as usual. 

10 confirmed cases (as of yesterday) for the region my area falls under. (Greater Glasgow and Clyde - population over one million)

I think until more testing takes place/cases rise significantly or the Government make a move to more serious action...all will carry on as normal. 

I will be heading to Ibrox on Sunday for the game vs Celtic - once again in front of fifty thousand fans. (At the moment! )

I wish you all the best of health and maybe one or two should quarantine themselves from this thread for a day or two - just my opinion as it can’t be good for those of you who suffer any kind of mental illness/health.

Have a good day.

I must admit that I find it somewhat bizarre that you are obviously concerned but still went to a match and propose going to another where your risk of catching it increases.  If you have already caught it you may pass it on.  Is this what the CMO said about the herd.

We all have a responsibility in life to think of our own and others safety and health.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
42 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

It's becoming clear that there's no easy way out of this now. We will all (or at least most) have to get covid-19 for society to be able to function normally in the future. Travel restrictions and quarantines (e.g. China) can't last forever, and those countries face the continued threat of a 2nd, 3rd or 4th outbreak.

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted

A London Underground driver has tested positive for coronavirus, sources tell PA

Source: Sky News live blog

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-markets-crash-as-world-reacts-to-pandemic-11955867

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

That’s the message . Likely to lead to people taking less precautions and a more laissez faire attitude .

Its almost like the public’s duty now is to get the virus but hopefully not to kill too many older people along the way .

Soon there will be let’s get the virus parties ! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
16 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Chilling warning f.f.s! I was expecting hospitalisations and breathing problems. Media really don't help in these situations 

100%

There's no need to rush out and empty your supermarkets of toilet roll. lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad

I'm disgusted - should be jailed for life.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: Everton first-team squad in self-isolation after player reported symptoms

So thats now what 4 teams in self isolation. Think its fair to say the league's hand is going to be forced now and they are going to have to postpone it at least for a few weeks and review from there.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Seems rather widespread...

Everton squad now isolating after player reported symptoms similar to Coronavirus. They played Chelsea last weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Surely it just makes sense to try and stop it now, before it happens. Maybe it won't work. Maybe it will just push the peak back a few months. Maybe the disaster I've mentioned above will happen anyway, just later. But why not have a go. Are they absolutely sure it won't work? China has halted the virus - is it absolutely certain it will come back? As good as any scientist is, we do not have a crystal ball in a virus that hasn't happened before and a society that has not been tested with such hardship. 

Well.. yes. Let's say that 95% of the Chinese didn't contract covid-19. They have no immunity to it. There is a huge risk for it to reemerge and infect millions more unless travel restrictions and checks are in place - but these can't last forever, they'll cause more damage to the economy than the virus itself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
2925.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The action plan’s recommendations differed significantly from measures imposed in other countries

Seems a decent round up

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I don’t really know how I feel about being a guinea pig in one of the biggest human experiments since the Nazi camps of WW2.

Doctor Johnson Mengele has basically served a virtual death sentence to thousands.

I think the theory is this will eventually go through at least a large chunk of at least Europes population no matter what, and by the end of 2021 the figures will probably look similar for all countries in terms of deaths. Except we will have done it in one fell swoop at a time that is somewhat of our choosing, whilst Europe will endure a damn tough winter with it whilst we will have a more milder 2nd go round due to a certain amount of inbuilt protection.

In other words, we will be the hare, and they will be the tortoise. 

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I'm disgusted - should be jailed for life.

Haha it was the helpful swear filter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I doubt that it's a case of "hoping that as many young people get the disease as possible" - otherwise they wouldn't be telling people to self-isolate if they have symptoms that might be Covid-19 but could also be an ordinary cold.  It's called the "delay" phase, so presumably they're hoping for a relatively slow rate of transmission that might lead to more cases in the short term but a lower total number of cases in the long run, a case of "short term pain for long term gain" by softening the extent of a probable second wave this autumn, which is likely to be before a vaccine for it gets widely distributed.  This isn't saying it's right or wrong, but I can see where it's coming from.  

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Everton squad now isolating after player reported symptoms similar to Coronavirus. They played Chelsea last weekend.

I would think West Ham will have to do the same given they played Arsenal last weekend and its quite possible Arteta could have had it at that point.

Posted

The government message could easily see their hopes of managing the spread fall apart .

Because they still need people to take precautions otherwise you end up with such a big spike in cases that the NHS implodes .

The messaging is becoming quite disturbing  and is trying to de sensitize the public if the casualties mount up because of a policy decision .

Its also subtly suggesting people should get the virus as some public duty ! 

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I don’t really know how I feel about being a guinea pig in one of the biggest human experiments since the Nazi camps of WW2.

Doctor Johnson Mengele has basically served a virtual death sentence to thousands.

Don’t think I would put it quite like that. It looks like our trip to Poland may be cancelled, which includes a trip to Auschwitz.