Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
    8 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Be very very careful about how you word such things. Type 1 cannot be reversed with a ketogenic diet, or indeed, any diet. Yes, you can reduce triglyceride and HDL levels with said diets, but you can never 'cure' or 'reverse' type 1 diabetes. All patients will require some amount of insulin.

Type 2 Diabetes? Yes, it's possible.

Yes, while i don't know that much about diabetes, i know about alcohol misuse and damage to the pancreas, if you go into any hepatology unit where people have severe liver damage, you will also find a percentage that have effectively drunk themselves into type 1 diabetics by damaging their pancreas to the point where their islets of langahans have no beta cells or they are not functional, beta cells produce insulin so insulin production is impossible.

• Like 3
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how significant this could be in the short term. Potentially a significant breakthrough if it works Coronavirus: New treatment for critically ill patients to begin as soon as next week

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.  If there are concerns

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother op

Posted Images

Posted
    13 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Be very very careful about how you word such things. Type 1 cannot be reversed with a ketogenic diet, or indeed, any diet. Yes, you can reduce triglyceride and HDL levels with said diets, but you can never 'cure' or 'reverse' type 1 diabetes. All patients will require some amount of insulin.

Type 2 Diabetes? Yes, it's possible.

There have been a few cases of even type 1 completely reversing their insulin dependence 

WWW.IJCASEREPORTSANDIMAGES.COM

Introduction: Currently type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) is treated with insulin and a high carbohydrate diet. In the literature, however, there...

Posted
    2 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

Our government failed spectacularly. They did absolutely nothing in January. Now, in the middle of the pandemic, they realized they have no face masks, desinfection and only 10 000 respirators in state reserves. We can't go out without a face mask but you can't even buy them anywhere so we have to make them ourselves.

If it's any relief, it was not just your government but really all of them 

• Like 3
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Quite.

Making your own face mask is a futile exercise. You will never achieve the protection of an N95 or FFP3 mask. 10,000 respirators is a decent number in a country of this population but does not allow for any outbreaks such as these. The fact we are not stockpiling such things in 2020 is damming.

I would also argue that we have fewer doctors than we should have in an advanced country at 2.2 per 1,000. We are behind Poland, Holland and even Ireland. 

Yes, the most ridiculous nonsensical thing i have ever heard.

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Absolutely.

I have always supported that Type 2 in most cases is absolutely reversible. Most patients following a strict diet and exercise regime can control it to such an extent that no real medication is needed. Type 1, however, is a different proposition and is in no way reversible.

Although i think a study came out not so long ago that the beta cells were not actually completely dead but incapable of producing any insulin at all, so not sure in the future with scientific advances whether it might be possible but definitely isn't at the moment.

Posted
    5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, the most ridiculous nonsensical thing i have ever heard.

It's a last resort for sure but better than nothing.

largepreview.png
    WWW.RESEARCHGATE.NET

PDF | This study examined homemade masks as an alternative to commercial face masks. Several household materials were evaluated for the capacity to... | Find, read and cite all the research you need...

Posted

Unfortunately my cough is still here. It's not the worst in the world but I'm not going to chance it given I was with someone who had symptoms in Friday and the incubation timing fits far too neatly.

Splendid isolation...joy...

• Like 3
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

It's a last resort for sure but better than nothing.

largepreview.png
    WWW.RESEARCHGATE.NET

PDF | This study examined homemade masks as an alternative to commercial face masks. Several household materials were evaluated for the capacity to... | Find, read and cite all the research you need...

I still think though that encouraging the general public is dangerous and lul into a false sense of security, you still have to breathin and out and your breath has to go somewhere, IMO the only 100% thing to use is the gas masks issued to the army made for dealing with chemical and biological warfare like anthrax and nerve gas attacks.

• Like 2
    Posted
    1 minute ago, matty007 said:

They can, however, be effective somewhat at preventing the wearer from transmitting to someone else. A surgical mask won't do anything at stopping viral particles from entering, but it may prevent them from exiting.

That's why we are doing it. We know it doesn't protect us but it can protect others if we are sick and do not know about it.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    8 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

This will make you laugh , a gentleman today tried to purchase 102 beef and tomato pot noodles , I said he could have 2 , he didn’t buy any ?

Good morning, Mark...And well-done you!:oldgood:

I've heard of the Gentleman Farmer class...But the Gentleman Pillock is a new one!:crazy:

• Like 7
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Good morning, Mark...And well-done you!:oldgood:

I've heard of the Gentleman Farmer class...But the Gentleman Pillock is a new one!:crazy:

Yes, you would think if someone was gonna fill their boots, at least have a bit of variety!!

• Like 1
    Posted

Just been reading the Guardian blog on the virus .

Quite a lot there about several different drugs that have helped to varying degrees most notably Avigan.

But it seems that getting to the virus early might be key.

So really before symptoms have worsened , and of course before the virus has multiplied .

Logistically trying to manufacture a lot more of a drug can be difficult and getting it to the right people .

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
    27 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Unfortunately my cough is still here. It's not the worst in the world but I'm not going to chance it given I was with someone who had symptoms in Friday and the incubation timing fits far too neatly.

Splendid isolation...joy...

Sorry to hear about it.

Unfortunately, a fate likely coming my way too very soon. I am amazed every day that I escape this.

• Like 5
    Posted
    1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Sorry to hear about it.

Unfortunately, a fate likely coming my way too very soon. I am amazed every day that I escape this.

Could it be that you are one of the lucky ones who doesn’t show any symptoms? 

• Like 1
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Sorry to hear about it.

Luckily so far whatever it is is quite mild, though I'm sure the coughing will get annoying.

By the time I'm over my 7 days schools are likely to have closed.

• Like 2
    Posted

Last night was a rough one. Started feeling short of breath (likely anxiety + a bit of indigestion) - I could feel myself getting worked up. Every time I dozed off I would wake up with a jolt. Horrible.

Posted
    4 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Quite possibly. I am fairly young and have always had a rather resilient immune system, so yes, possible. However, I have been using masks always and use stringent hygiene, so equally as likely I have kept it away.

I had a headache and itchy nose for 1 day on Monday but unlikely to be related, most likely fatigue.

Well good luck to you! 

I read an article yesterday that said 3000 people were tested in a town in Italy and 50-75% tested positive but had no symptoms.

This matches the data that’s come from the diamond cruise ship where a large proportion (can’t remember figures) also had no symptoms.

While this is good news when considering the death rate, it could be the reason why this virus has spread as rapidly as it has. If 50% of people don’t have symptoms then they will still Be going out spreading it unknowingly.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just had a wee look at my local Lidl (I can see it from my kitchen window) and, guess what: the idiots are already carting off trolley-loads of bog rolls!?

• Like 4
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Relax my friend, deep breaths. You're a young healthy lad, you will be fine.

I'm not that young nor healthy:( No underlying health conditions that I know of, but I have been a moderate smoker for a long time. Struggling to pack it in, though I have now stopped at work.

• Like 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Just had a wee look at my local Lidl (I can see it from my kitchen window) and, guess what: the idiots are already carting off trolley-loads of bog rolls!?

That's crazy. Unfortunately I feel some are now doing it out of anxiety, they cannot control what's happening with the virus but buying things even when they don't really need becomes a coping mechanism. 

Retail therapy gone wrong. 

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
    9 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Last night was a rough one. Started feeling short of breath (likely anxiety + a bit of indigestion) - I could feel myself getting worked up. Every time I dozed off I would wake up with a jolt. Horrible.

That is Anxiety I get the same, the mind can play tricks thinking you have symptoms but you dont, and ya mind always thinks the worst case scenario 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
    9 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

That's crazy. Unfortunately I feel some are now doing it out of anxiety, they cannot control what's happening with the virus but buying things even when they don't really need becomes a coping mechanism. 

Retail therapy gone wrong. 

Quite true. But, it needs to stop.

All they're doing is causing shortages so the people who really do need these items, can't get them. What about the elderly? Are they not entitled to loo rolls? And given that the elderly are most at risk, I find it so selfish that people are stockpiling hand gel, thus meaning that the elderly go without. Very selfish and narrowminded.

We also have to consider that prices will rise, which places those that are less wealthy, in more hardship.

Do these people really believe that all supermarkets will close down? it will never happen.

Edited by matty007
    • Like 3
    Posted
    17 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Quite possibly a cold, but you are doing the right thing.

I don't want to sound rude, but my neighbors have children and they are very noisy indeed. I can't say I'm relishing the prospect of weeks and weeks of that ?

I personally suspect so as well and it really is quite mild, had it been a normal day I would have gone into work. As I said my only pause for thought is someone I was with on Friday developed classic coronavirus symptoms over the weekend (cough, fever, short of breath), and so that would be classic 5 day incubation time period. However whatever happens, happens. I will isolate anyway and not take the chance on it for the reason above.

First death in Moldova, and 3 more in South Korea. USA up 7 deaths to 116.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy, wintry weather

Morning all,

I'd like to thank Matty, for his detailed response to my Post about my Wife's Face Mask "saga".

Words like inept and shambolic come to mind, about the response my Wife received. 

Colette has woken up this Morning with a Temperature and a hacking cough, and complaining of a tight chest!! 

From what Colette tells me, a lot of the Staff were coughing and sneezing yesterday. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised, if the Coronavirus isn't already present in the Care Home, as I stated Yesterday, two of the elderly Residents passed away with Pneumonia, last Week. 

But with the Management's Peter Pan attitude, they won't be affected because they're in a "bubble", there?? 

Although she isn't due to work until Tomorrow, she phoned the Residential Home's Sick Line to let them know that she will be "self isolating" for 2 Weeks .This will no doubt go down like a "hole in the head" but we really don't care.

Her two Sons, who also live with us, also had to Phone work and let them know, that they will be "self isolating", for 2 Weeks. This will have severe financial repercussions for us, I'm only in receipt of Disability Benefits myself but sobeit.  

Colette may have a similar Virus to what I had, which has now pretty much gone, after a course of Amoxicillin Antibiotics, and may not be the Coronavirus. But, conversely, could well be the Coronavirus, without a Test how can we be sure? :cc_confused:

And there lies the problem within for the Health Authorities, instances of Colds and Seasonal Flu are "masking" instances of the Coronavirus, and vice versa!! 

Stay safe and well.

Regards,

Tom.    :hi:

• Like 2