Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

12 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Great news about potential vaccine. Hopefully the Germans save the day. 

There's several potential vaccines being tested out there in the world, so its not just Germany.

Edited by emax
  • Like 2
Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how significant this could be in the short term. Potentially a significant breakthrough if it works Coronavirus: New treatment for critically ill patients to begin as soon as next week

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.  If there are concerns

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother op

Posted Images

Posted
    7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Some bosses/companies have a genuine irrational phobia of letting staff work from home.

Might be they are thinking, quite wrongly of course, their staff are making postings on social media instead of working

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
    6 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

This is it, I cant believe if its lockdown such a lovely warm sunny paddys day today in Dublin, so many people outside making the most of our proudest day.

Sorry, with my first reply I didn't even notice you were in Ireland!

I used to live in Bray, I remember many happy St.Patrick's days going into Dublin and watching the parade. Sad for you - but we'll all get through this together.

Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms, heatwaves, extreme weather
    3 minutes ago, emax said:

There's several potential vaccines being tested out there in the world, so its not just Germany.

You'd think one would be successful ?  Having done more reading around about testing though - autumn looks impossible for a mass rollout of any successful vaccine - there simply isn't enough time given everything that has to happen before mass production. We need to get the fanciful idea of a pre-winter cure out of our minds and focus on the here and now, IMO.

• Like 2
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Might be they are thinking, quite wrongly of course, their staff are making postings on social media instead of working

Even if they are, it’s really not hard to track a persons productivity etc and lets be honest, most of them, myself included, do it in the office anyway!

• Like 1
    8 minutes ago, emax said:

Yes but if you read it they're seem to be further ahead than anyone else, plus trump was in contact with them. 

So yes, hopefully the Germans save the day

Edited by Donegal
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Tesco are closing 24-hour stores between 10pm and 6am for staff to restock the shelves 

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    11 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I can sympathise - I have health anxiety and this is pretty unpleasant to say the least.

In my day (mid-late 1970s) health anxiety wasn't caused by the Internet, but by reading Pear's Medical Encyclopaedia: you'd be surprised at just how many terminal illnesses are entirely asymptomatic...I was a nervous wreck!?

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Dunno why Bonzo hasn't introduced rationing well I'm not surprised to be honest.

When will the horders stop? When they can't get in their house?

• Like 4
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

6 am rush on toilet isles at tesco

Yep, I've tried three times to attempt to 'time it right', including at 7am this morning, just to get a few essentials that I'll likely be running low on by week's end but nope, shelves are empty.

I suppose it'd be pointless going very late at night as they don't re-stock until pre-morning opening time. I'll swing by my local newsagent tomorrow.

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

In my day (mid-late 1970s) health anxiety wasn't caused by the Internet, but by reading Pear's Medical Encyclopaedia: you'd be surprised at just how many terminal illnesses are entirely asymptomatic...I was a nervous wreck!?

Never read any medical book online or offline you end up ordering your coffin.

• Like 4
    7 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Yes but if you read it they're seem to be further ahead than anyone else, plus trump was in contact with them. 

So yes, hopefully the Germans save the day

Human trials wont start till June/July, so its not a given by any means. Still a tall order to have a usable vaccine ready for everyone by the Autumn. I'm not saying it isnt possible, but with several other vaccines being developed, and imminently going onto monkey/human trials (USA already started human trials), its a bit too early to be saying Germany will save the day lol.

10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Tesco are closing 24-hour stores between 10pm and 6am for staff to restock the shelves 

My local Tesco Extra has already started doing this, but dont know how widespread that is

Posted
    9 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

6 am rush on toilet isles at tesco

This has been happening in most large stores early in morn. Popped into our Lidl today for a few things, about 10.30am and they still had loo roll; shelves stocked before opening. Surprised to still see it on shelves so 'late' in the day?

• Like 1
    Posted

Oh no I've developed a cough over the last couple of hours. I'm hoping its just an asthmatic cough that I do sometimes get when seasons are changing (I am somewhat prone in Spring in particular) however if it carries on much longer I may be into self isolation. We will see!

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    1 minute ago, emax said:

Human trials wont start till June/July, so its not a given by any means. Still a tall order to have a usable vaccine ready for everyone by the Autumn. I'm not saying it isnt possible, but with several other vaccines being developed, and imminently going onto monkey/human trials (USA already started human trials), its a bit too early to be saying Germany will save the day lol.

That's amazingly fast! Only a month ago, the USA was in a state of utter denial...

• Like 2
    6 minutes ago, Onding said:

Yep, I've tried three times to attempt to 'time it right', including at 7am this morning, just to get a few essentials that I'll likely be running low on by week's end but nope, shelves are empty.

I suppose it'd be pointless going very late at night as they don't re-stock until pre-morning opening time. I'll swing by my local newsagent tomorrow.

Apparently had the old bill at our local big Tesco at the weekend, trying to keep the peace lol. I havent been shopping since this all blew up, and I'm happy to wait until all the dumb sheep have run out of space in their cupboards.

• Like 2
    3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

That's amazingly fast! Only a month ago, the USA was in a state of utter denial...

106445807-1584364345863gettyimages-12048
    WWW.CNBC.COM

The trial is taking place at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute in Seattle, Washington, where cases have surged in recent weeks.

Whether it is actually a usable or viable vaccine is anyone's guess, but that's what they say anyway.

• Like 1
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

This BBC article goes into more depth regarding the first human trials. Whilst encouraging, and not trying to be a party pooper, the line that commanded my attention was "But even if these initial safety tests go well, it could still take up to 18 months for any potential vaccine to become available for the public."

There's a long way to go yet but it is pleasing to see such determination and will from scientists to fast-track a vaccine to beat this. Baby steps!

Edited by Onding
    added link
    • Like 1
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Oh no I've developed a cough over the last couple of hours. I'm hoping its just an asthmatic cough that I do sometimes get when seasons are changing (I am somewhat prone in Spring in particular) however if it carries on much longer I may be into self isolation. We will see!

Stress related Asthma most likely and the air is also fairly dry which doesn't help. So hopefully you'll wake up tomorrow with zero coughs.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
    11 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I helped a Senior Surgical Registrar with an upper GI cancer audit.   I collated so much data on so many patients for this.  It really was depressing perusing all those notes and by the end of it every time I burped  I was convinced of the worst ....

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heatwaves and electrical storms, and fidgid Arctic type winters
    4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I wonder how many of us on here are devoloping symptoms that are worrying us.. On Saturday I had a general chill and sore throat appearing, last night my mom was getting a cough and aching all over, but feels a bit better today. Its a good job this virus doesnt spread online, otherwise we would all be buggered. ?

• Like 7
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
    7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I was in the garden this afternoon and digging around in the soil and compost. I have an allegy to moulds and I was coughing after digging. Needless to say I was a bit worried but it subsided soon after. I think all of us anxious folk need to chill out a bit. As I have said before, exercise is the key for me and having cycled 16km today, done some gardening and walked the dog I'm ready for a good night's sleep.

Having said that, I keep waking at almost exactly 0330 and have great difficulty getting back off to sleep again due to clock watching, then I want to sleep as getting up time approaches. It doesn't happen on weekends so I'm baffled. I have late starts for the next three days so I'll see how it goes with a chance to stay in bed for a bit longer.

• Like 3