Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
    5 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Have not see much about the virus over the weekend  but did read this morning that in some cases in Italy and perhapd France  a large portion  ( approaching 40%)  of under 60s  are in a critical condition.  Can anyone confirm if this is true   or have i misread.

None of the above makes any sense??

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how significant this could be in the short term. Potentially a significant breakthrough if it works Coronavirus: New treatment for critically ill patients to begin as soon as next week

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.  If there are concerns

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother op

Posted Images

Posted
    18 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

So I will tell you a little story, make of it as you will. 

Last mid November I went down with a hacking dry cough. I've had coughs before but this was unlike any other I've had, relentless coughing fits to gagging, and the first couple of days a high fever, enough to have to change bed clothes overnight. 

This lasted about a week while off work, by which time I was sleeping on propped pillows to try and reduce the coughing overnight.

After a further week this backed off somewhat and thinking I was getting better. I've had pneumonia before, spent 8 days in hospital with it a few years ago now and knew I was beginning to get signs of it, shortness of breath, pain in ribs and at one point not so nice what was being coughed up. I soldiered on, taking paracetamol, every type of cough medicine, sleeping almost upright as I had done in hospital. A couple of times I thought I had better call 999.

I had two long planned working weeks in Devon in the last week Nov and first Dec, at first really struggled, dragging myself around, pacing what I was doi g due to tight chest and breathing, continuing to sleep upright on propped pillow in the B&B, taking all and anything I could to relieve the symptoms. 

By the second week much improved, the signs of pneumonia gone, and feeling the return of strength but in truth I wasn't really 100% until around Christmas. 

Now I know our patient 0 is supposed to have been around mid Nov in China, but I can't help thinking this has been around longer and that he was perhaps only the first documented case, as has been said before you won't see it unless you are looking for it.

I might be wrong, and certainly treating it as though I have not had it so far, but it does make you wonder. 

As to why I didn't go to the doctors? I was damned determined not to be in hospital, had enough of that last time I was in there with pneumonia. 

Yes, many people in this thread(myself included) and all over social media have shared stories of a mystery illness that very much resembled Covid occuring between Nov 2019-Jan 2020.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A Coronavirus vaccine trial starts today in 45 young, healthy volunteers in Seattle

3000.jpeg
    APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — The first participant in a clinical trial for a vaccine to protect against the new coronavirus will receive an experimental dose on Monday, according to a government...

• Like 3
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Went to Tesco before work this morning, no problems at all. Probably busier than it would usually be at 7am but shelves were well stocked, if not full.

Not the same at my local Tesco. 

Posted
    5 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Ultimately the banks can stimulate all they want but if no one is buying anything because of the lock downs it is all meaningless.

this is different from all other crashes in the past and the usual methods are banks will use will not work.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
    11 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Have not see much about the virus over the weekend  but did read this morning that in some cases in Italy and perhapd France  a large portion  ( approaching 40%)  of under 60s  are in a critical condition.  Can anyone confirm if this is true   or have i misread.

Please do not post material like this without quoting your source. On a national level the figures would be totally unrealistic.

• Like 4
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yes, many people in this thread(myself included) and all over social media have shared stories of a mystery illness that very much resembled Covid occuring between Nov 2019-Jan 2020.

If this virus had been in the UK in late November in its current form, it would have exploded a couple of months ago and thousands would be dead already with the NHS on its knees. There are many similar viruses circulating every year, you may well have had a strain of flu or another similar virus that presents with these symptoms.

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    17 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Yes that's true and at the hospitalisation stage you would have to assume that everyone going has pneumonia. How would this death rate compared to any other viral or bacterial pneumonia?

That's a good question. 

Posted
    6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

A Coronavirus vaccine trial starts today in 45 young, healthy volunteers in Seattle

3000.jpeg
    APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — The first participant in a clinical trial for a vaccine to protect against the new coronavirus will receive an experimental dose on Monday, according to a government...

I wish them all luck, and hope that it works. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
    5 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Personally, i think the team of scientists advising the UK government have been clear that further measures are all about timing for introduction to here; the timetable is moveable. I hope they are NOT influenced by public opinion, but continue to follow the science they have at their disposal, albeit flexibly adjusting future needs in line with the evidence.

Higher peak infection = more deaths. Weak attempts to reduce the virus spread = higher peak infection = more deaths.
    There isn't really a way of getting around this, whatever the government plan actually is. Which is why the rest of the world, WHO and even hundreds of experts within the UK, are looking on in astonishment. 
    This isn't a case of one-upmanship, I genuinely hope the plan for the UK is actually better than the rest of the worlds experts believe.

• Like 3
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

If this virus had been in the UK in late November in its current form, it would have exploded a couple of months ago and thousands would be dead already with the NHS on its knees. There are many similar viruses circulating every year, you may well have had a strain of flu or another similar virus that presents with these symptoms.

Yes, you're quite right. I'm 98 percent certain it was the flu. The shortness of breath was very strange though - and also, allllllllll of these people had something similar at the same time, yet the stats show it was a quiet flu season which is weird.

I wonder though if deaths due to pneumonia pre-Jan were simply put down to unknown viruses etc because they wouldn't have even known of it's existence.

• Like 1
    Posted

So anyway my boss just walked in the office.

He says his two young children have a fever and a cough, but because he's not sick, he "doesn't have it" so doesn't need to stay away. He was then laughing and joking about it "breathing" around the office etc.

I give up. I'm going to go home later, walk my dog and practice some meditation/relaxation and just accept the fact I will catch this soon and it may very well kill me. What's the point. It's out of my hands.

• Like 3
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Ultimately the banks can stimulate all they want but if no one is buying anything because of the lock downs it is all meaningless.

this is different from all other crashes in the past and the usual methods are banks will use will not work.

The markets are effected by the fact that whole economies have almost completely shut down, air lines stopping most services, food retailers like restaurants, cafés, pubs ect closed down. It's obvious the markets will take substantial hits. We haven't seen nothing yet unfortunately in this regard. 

Posted
    34 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Personally, i think the team of scientists advising the UK government have been clear that further measures are all about timing for introduction to here; the timetable is moveable. I hope they are NOT influenced by public opinion, but continue to follow the science they have at their disposal, albeit flexibly adjusting future needs in line with the evidence.

Surprised so many seem to treat any change in the governments recommendations and actions as a U turn. All along they have said that things will be a progression. 

• Like 5
    Posted
    10 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Higher peak infection = more deaths. Weak attempts to reduce the virus spread = higher peak infection = more deaths.
    There isn't really a way of getting around this, whatever the government plan actually is. Which is why the rest of the world, WHO and even hundreds of experts within the UK, are looking on in astonishment. 
    This isn't a case of one-upmanship, I genuinely hope the plan for the UK is actually better than the rest of the worlds experts believe.

I'm no scientist; i have biology and chemistry o level (i know that is nowt, so just jesting in that respect). But i hope our scientists are correct. I'm not saying they're right, and everyone else is wrong, because i dont know. Germany was closest to UK model, but they've moved to next phase because their timing is right i presume.

Edited by Bristle boy
    • Like 1
    Posted
    15 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Please do not post material like this without quoting your source. On a national level the figures would be totally unrealistic.

Yes and please don’t post stuff from Twitter unless it is well and truly backed up.

• Like 4
    Posted
    10 minutes ago, Azazel said:

He says his two young children have a fever and a cough, but because he's not sick, he "doesn't have it" so doesn't need to stay away. He was then laughing and joking about it "breathing" around the office etc.

I give up. I'm going to go home later, walk my dog and practice some meditation/relaxation and just accept the fact I will catch this soon and it may very well kill me. What's the point. It's out of my hands.

That is ridiculous, people like that will never learn until they're the ones on the hospital bed unfortunately 

• Like 6
    Posted
    11 minutes ago, Azazel said:

He's following the advise on my recent letter from school, if a child is ill keep them home but other family members siblings that are not ill should carry on as normal. I think it's the current government advice. 

Posted
    12 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Surprised so many seem to treat any change in the governments recommendations and actions as a U turn. All along they have said that things will be a progression. 

It's not a u turn agreed. However it is an acknowledgement that things are moving faster than their model expected (Beth Rigby has said as much from her sources) and that therefore had to put their modelling into question.

If a storm was modelled originally to come in at 144hrs and then the 12z run brings it forward 36hrs, it would make me seriously question whether it is accurate in the first place or whether it's modelling of the storm could be relied upon.

Edited by kold weather
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy

Reports that prisoners to be released so that they are not in crowded risky cells (shut away from sources of virus) but those of the public that won't self isolate to be locked up.....

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

He's following the advise on my recent letter from school, if a child is ill keep them home but other family members siblings that are not ill should carry on as normal. I think it's the current government advice. 

I guess I can understand that - however, coming into the office when you absolutely can work from home (he's the boss and makes the calls) and then "inhaling and breathing out forcefully" everywhere to "spread" his germs is f*****g outrageous. If I didn't have a mortgage and was back in my late teens/early 20's, I would've walked out there and then. Probably would've got into a fight too.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
    1 minute ago, Climate Man said:

Reports that prisoners to be released so that they are not in crowded risky cells (shut away from sources of virus) but those of the public that won't self isolate to be locked up.....

Where are the reports?

• Like 2
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

How old are you? Late twenties? Thirties? You probably have more chance of dying in a car crash than you do of dying of this. This is exactly the type of over exaggeration I'm trying to curtail.

You WILL get  this, in all likelihood . I'm virtually guaranteed to get it seeing as I am around COVID patients often. Both of us will not die, trust me. Just worry about your grandparents ?
    At work now, so can't post until later.

Take care all.

I'm exactly mid thirties as of Thursday just gone. My partner is a nurse so I am very likely to get it regardless. My grandparents are both dead haha but I know what you meant - I'm mainly focused on looking after my elderly parents.