Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Posted
    6 minutes ago, matty007 said:

And this is the case for many, many citizens. I don't want to sound insulting here, but I do get the feeling that many who are calling for total lockdowns are those privileged people with large savings and wealth. To them, it will be quite nice to isolate. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people in this country do not have these privileges. They are people on low or average incomes who have mortgages, rent and living costs to pay. They live week to week/month to month. Unless these people work in vital public services and shops, a lockdown would be economic disaster.

I have many friends who are self-employed and have already noticed a reduction in turnover and profits. A total lockdown would plunge them into despair, and even, homelessness.

People really need to think of the 'many' and not just a few.

People will die, but if society comes apart at the seems, the number of complete mental breakdowns and then the inevitable suicides would make the number of deaths from this virus seem tame.

Don't think some understand this. IMO.

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.8k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how significant this could be in the short term. Potentially a significant breakthrough if it works Coronavirus: New treatment for critically ill patients to begin as soon as next week

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.  If there are concerns

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother op

Posted Images

Posted
    1 minute ago, matty007 said:

What a lovely gesture.

If there is one positive to come from this virus, it will be increased community care. Younger people offering to get shopping etc for the elderly (providing they are not infected) will make a MASSIVE diffrenece to the outcome.

Question with your experience with this does it leave patients with sore sides in cases.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
    4 minutes ago, booferking said:

Question with your experience with this does it leave patients with sore sides in cases.

I'm no medical expert but I got pains in both sides around kidney area when I had flu back in Feb 2007 so sore sides may be a sign of that illness rather than COVID

Posted

IMG_20200315_174337.thumb.jpg.831aa7c39233577de1946b51044b15b3.jpg

"Let's be responsible"

Advice on avoiding public gatherings and whatnot, as well as how to reduce the risk of infection.

IMG_20200315_174311.thumb.jpg.bde282c77ebecc209bcecf2df7df2448.jpg

The local pub shut indefinitely.

Most people I see are wearing masks now. I'm hearing that next week folks won't be allowed on public transport or into shops unless their faces are suitably covered (wouldn't want to be working in a bank!). The supermarkets are still surprisingly well-stocked, though people have started raiding the multipack toilet rolls (doesn't bother me, as go for the big individual ones which are still abundant).

• Like 1
    Posted
    13 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

If anyone is struggling with anxiety or stress over this then join the discord server - we have a support channel where you can talk about things

6b8c377dd199b30bd37b93923762c34f.jpg?siz
    DISCORD.GG

Check out the CoronaVirus (COVID-19) community on Discord - hang out with 21,846 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Thanks Paul ?

Posted
    7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'm no medical expert but I got pains in both sides around kidney area when I had flu back in Feb 2007 so sore sides may be a sign of that illness rather than COVID

Could have been the added painkillers i was taking also to get over it to i suspect.

Edited by booferking
    Posted

WASHINGTON (AP) — A clinical trial evaluating a vaccine designed to protect against the new coronavirus will begin Monday.

A government official says the first participant in the trial will receive the experimental vaccine that day. The National Institutes of Health is funding the trial that is taking place at a Kaiser Permanente research facility in Washington state.

Edited by Wiltshire_snow_lover
    Posted
    13 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Now this really is scaremongering, I got caught out by this yesterday. This may be true but the evidence is flimsy and limited so far, I believe, too limited to splash on a front page. 

Are we being softened up for tough measures? 

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

CDC recommendation is no gatherings of 50+ people anywhere in the USA for 8-weeks

• Like 2
    Posted

Hi all not viewed this thread in 30 hours for me that is a long time! It was getting very consuming...I recommend taking breaks away from COVID-19 talk. Everyone needs to take a step back and breath! 

• Like 4
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

CDC recommendation is no gatherings of 50+ people anywhere in the USA for 8-weeks

We really are so far behind the curve in this country, its starting to feel like sheer incompetence. I'm sure the science suggests it is best according to the model, but its hard for the public to take when every other country out there is taking a fr faster path. Heck even the US which Trump seems to be racing ahead of us now!!!

I think the political pressure is going to be so severe they are going to have to fast track their plans, regardless of whether the virus already is going ahead of their timescale (hard to know without seeing the modelling ourself!) and regardless of whether its the utter optimal time according to their algorithm. 

Edited by kold weather
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I suspect that is the case. You might be interested to read this study.

og_coronavirusbody_1198473034.ngsversion
    WWW.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

From blood storms to honeycomb lungs, here’s an organ-by-organ look at how COVID-19 harms humans.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
    2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Now this really is scaremongering, I got caught out by this yesterday. This may be true but the evidence is flimsy and limited so far, I believe, too limited to splash on a front page. 

It is surely too soon to consider the long term health effects of those who survived in the critically ill bracket and probably won’t know for months or even years. 
    I don’t know what will be shown on the front pages tomorrow, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if those in government are 100% sure given how fluid things are. However I think there will be a movement towards how other countries are dealing with this, especially as scientists behind the scenes involved are suggesting that things are moving quicker than expected. 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think many people's comments about the economy and mental health are being considered by the UK government and are probably part of the reason why the government has been more reticent about lockdowns than the governments of many other countries, refusing to being sucked into applying knee-jerk reactions which might be beneficial in the short term but backfire in the long term.  There are a lot of factors to consider and there is quite a wide range of possible "right" answers, as there is so much uncertainty over the current situation, let alone the likelihood of a second wave setting in this autumn, and in how quickly we will get a vaccine.

I get a sense that instead of going straight for a lockdown, our government aims to phase one in gradually as we head towards peak numbers of cases.  However, I expect that the government will end up pushing ahead with stronger measures at a faster rate than it had originally planned, as it looks like the situation is escalating faster than their scientific advisers expected.  It's not just the virus itself, it's also the knock-on effects on various outlets, e.g. panic buying and people voluntarily calling off events due to the fear of passing Covid-19 around to the relatively vulnerable and overburdening local health and emergency systems.

Like the USA, the UK is a strongly capitalist society and has created a society where many people can't self-isolate or work from home without incurring heavy costs (though my impression is that the British culture is mostly not quite as bad for this as the US culture), so there will probably need to be some (at least temporary) shake-ups to the terms and conditions of workplaces in order to make relatively extensive lockdowns feasible.  Maybe this is one of the reasons why the government has been reluctant to go straight ahead with strong measures, being keen to prepare us and businesses for them beforehand.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
    • Like 3
    Posted

Body aches are quite common in this. Probably around 15-20% of people. Whether this occurs laterally, I am not certain, but it is likely.

Fever you mentioned above for 3 days i had a real bad fever had to change my bed sheets twice a day and change my clothes about 4 times a day literally sweat running off every part of my body while shivering having the feeling of being cold had to sit up in bed to breath as found it hard at times all while being bed bound then a dry sore cough that lasted 2 weeks or more the cough was really hard to shake off with added sore sides.

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Like the USA, the UK is a strongly capitalist society and has created a society where many people can't self-isolate or work from home without incurring heavy costs (though my impression is that the British culture is mostly not quite as bad for this as the US culture), so there will probably need to be some (at least temporary) shake-ups to the terms and conditions of workplaces in order to make relatively extensive lockdowns feasible.  Maybe this is one of the reasons why the government has been reluctant to go straight ahead with strong measures, being keen to prepare us for them beforehand.

I think the SSP/benefits is a huge part of this, they know full well its not enough for to live on for people who have even a modest lifestyle.

Therefore the government is not doing lockdown too early to reduce people being off work. 

It also explains the school situation, because the SSP/benefits are so useless parents will have to carry on working and expose the grandparents who would likely step in to look after off school kids. So schools need to stay open.

Increase the benefits inline with Irelands increase, then parents could go off work and not worry about the cost issue, and therefore not need to use the grandparents in the first place. Then just have local 'schools' or daycenters where essential workers children can stay. 

• Like 4
    Posted
    8 minutes ago, matty007 said:

And you've just recovered from this?

Does sound rather indicative of Covid, I must say.

That's the strange thing i had this right at the end of the year but i deal with the Chinese as I'm importer.

Edited by booferking
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Many of the people who have had this, have remarked it as being 'The worst flu imaginable'. If you have a high fever, dry cough, sore throat and particularly shortness of breath, the chances are quite high you have this.

What makes this virus difficult to pinpoint however outside clinical testing, is the fact that many can also have very mild symptoms, comparable to a common cold, and in many, even milder.

There are varying degrees of severity with this virus, but if someone has shortness of breath and high fever, this makes COVID much more likely than common flu, in my opinion

Edited by matty007
    • Like 8
    Posted
    12 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I think many people's comments about the economy and mental health are being considered by the UK government and are probably part of the reason why the government has been more reticent about lockdowns than the governments of many other countries, refusing to being sucked into applying knee-jerk reactions which might be beneficial in the short term but backfire in the long term.  There are a lot of factors to consider and there is quite a wide range of possible "right" answers, as there is so much uncertainty over the current situation, let alone the likelihood of a second wave setting in this autumn, and in how quickly we will get a vaccine.

I get a sense that instead of going straight for a lockdown, our government aims to phase one in gradually as we head towards peak numbers of cases.  However, I expect that the government will end up pushing ahead with stronger measures at a faster rate than it had originally planned, as it looks like the situation is escalating faster than their scientific advisers expected.  It's not just the virus itself, it's also the knock-on effects on various outlets, e.g. panic buying and people voluntarily calling off events due to the fear of passing Covid-19 around to the relatively vulnerable and overburdening local health and emergency systems.

Like the USA, the UK is a strongly capitalist society and has created a society where many people can't self-isolate or work from home without incurring heavy costs (though my impression is that the British culture is mostly not quite as bad for this as the US culture), so there will probably need to be some (at least temporary) shake-ups to the terms and conditions of workplaces in order to make relatively extensive lockdowns feasible.  Maybe this is one of the reasons why the government has been reluctant to go straight ahead with strong measures, being keen to prepare us and businesses for them beforehand.

Yes transport systems, supermarkets and hospitals surgeries to be kept open.  Once MOD is ready along with the majority of people in the right position will a recommendation to stay at home be issued.   

One problem in the future we may face next; 4 weeks of delay due to lack of Transatlantic capacity! It coincides with a disruption in sea freight because empty shipping containers are stuck in China. However, UK Government was stockpiling for Brexit, so that may be used.

Posted

Umm, possbile if you have contact with the Chinese. Given that this virus can actually be traced back to mid November, it is highly probable it was quite widespread by the end of 2019.

The symptoms certainly sound like Covid. But then again, I can't say that you didn't have a particular strain of Flu. We can establish Covid very easily with nasal swabs, but outside of that, largely rely on shortness of breath and high fever to diagnose it.

Thanks for your information and replies.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, booferking said:

Thanks for your information and replies.

Pleasure.

Posted

A coronavirus (HCoV-19) has caused the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Wuhan, China. Preventing and reversing the cytokine storm may be the key to save the patients with severe COVID-19 pneumonia. Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) have been shown to possess a comprehensive powerful immunomodulatory function. This study aims to investigate whether MSC transplantation improves the outcome of 7 enrolled patients with COVID-19 pneumonia in Beijing YouAn Hospital, China, from Jan 23, 2020 to Feb 16, 2020. The clinical outcomes, as well as changes of inflammatory and immune function levels and adverse effects of 7 enrolled patients were assessed for 14 days after MSC injection. MSCs could cure or significantly improve the functional outcomes of seven patients without observed adverse effects. The pulmonary function and symptoms of these seven patients were significantly improved in 2 days after MSC transplantation. Among them, two common and one severe patient were recovered and discharged in 10 days after treatment. After treatment, the peripheral lymphocytes were increased, the C-reactive protein decreased, and the overactivated cytokine-secreting immune cells CXCR3+CD4+ T cells, CXCR3+CD8+ T cells, and CXCR3+ NK cells disappeared in 3-6 days. In addition, a group of CD14+CD11c+CD11bmid regulatory DC cell population dramatically increased. Meanwhile, the level of TNF-α was significantly decreased, while IL-10 increased in MSC treatment group compared to the placebo control group. Furthermore, the gene expression profile showed MSCs were ACE2- and TMPRSS2- which indicated MSCs are free from COVID-19 infection. Thus, the intravenous transplantation of MSCs was safe and effective for treatment in patients with COVID-19 pneumonia, especially for the patients in critically severe condition.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Extremes!

Couple of points:

1. List of Coronavirus symptoms (comparing to cold and flu) have been printed in the newspapers as well as online.

2. Regarding Behavioural Science, Professor NN Taleb (@nntaleb) has again criticised, see tweet dated 15 March 2020 1.28pm.

Posted

Goodnight everyone.

• Like 5