Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how significant this could be in the short term. Potentially a significant breakthrough if it works Coronavirus: New treatment for critically ill patients to begin as soon as next week

An appeal to people to remember you are reading posts from people you do not know, you do not know the background of and do not know their motivations - on a weather forum.  If there are concerns

Yes Matt , I opened my store at 5:45 this morning and left at 8pm this evening , I’m back at 5:45 and walking in to a shell of a shop with new deliveries coming , Having people tell me why I bother op

Posted Images

Posted
    22 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Off topic, but Call of Duty is whack.

Which one?

Edited by Jo Farrow
    irrelevant
    Posted

Serious question, I need to know for the sanity of myself and my 3 year old son should the situation transpire ; If you’re on lockdown can you really be prevented from going for a walk on a sunny day!?

Posted
    1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

Serious question, I need to know for the sanity of myself and my 3 year old son should the situation transpire ; If you’re on lockdown can you really be prevented from going for a walk on a sunny day!?

I would also like to know this. My mum has an Alsatian and her life pretty much revolves around it. She wouldn’t cope not being able to get out and walk her.

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Realistically for most with a house and garden who is going to stop you?  It is those in flats that have to use common areas where something might be done to try and stop you leaving. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

French preparing for a China style lockdown?

Debating now whether to go out early and get some supplies . It’s a shame they don’t have 24 hour supermarkets here. As a night owl I could turn up at 2am and avoid the toilet paper riots!

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heatwaves and electrical storms, and fidgid Arctic type winters
    7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I would also like to know this. My mum has an Alsatian and her life pretty much revolves around it. She wouldn’t cope not being able to get out and walk her.

Don't worry mate, a maniac driver hit and knocked our wall down last night putting a part of it through our neighbours window, it's amazing someone wasn't killed... And it took them about 4 hours to come. If you have field's and woods close by your home, it's gonna be relatively simple to escape to them for a walk... We are surrounded by them. The police I would imagine, would be focused on towns and cities, rural spots would be very difficult to enforce that law.. Some of the countryside reclusive spots by me don't have police stations for miles. I think it would be ridiculous... They may as well stick an ankle tag on us... And when we get any further than the front lawn, it goes off... Can you imagine that, millions of electronic tags going off at the same time, we would be facing a power cut in know time. ?

• Like 2
    Posted
    41 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

President Trump: "The virus is very contagious, but we have it under control."

39 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

???????????????????

He reminds me of that General that did the press statements from Iraq during the Iraq War "There are no American tanks on Iraqi soil !!!!! We are in full control"  Meanwhile, there's simultaneous tv footage of American tanks rolling down the main street of the Iraqi capital ? ? ? 

• Like 7
    Posted

Im not going to lie, that Guardian article has me feeling terrified ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
    3 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

He reminds me of that General that did the press statements from Iraq during the Iraq War "There are no American tanks on Iraqi soil !!!!! We are in full control"  Meanwhile, there's simultaneous tv footage of American tanks rolling down the main street of the Iraqi capital ? ? ? 

Ah yes baghdad Bob ?

• Like 1
    Posted

Various open letters have been sent out from different groups questioning the UK's policy. Most are really wanting to have the data released as to how we have come to such a different conclusion to what the tactics should be compared to the whole of Europe. some are also requesting more in the way of social distancing measures to be put in now.

I know of at least three such letters that are currently out there. Government really does have to answer these concerns, and soon as possible.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

So how is there the spike in the 20-29 range in the other chart from South Korea earlier those must just be infections rather than deaths?

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Various open letters have been sent out from different groups questioning the UK's policy. Most are really wanting to have the data released as to how we have come to such a different conclusion to what the tactics should be compared to the whole of Europe. some are also requesting more in the way of social distancing measures to be put in now.

I know of at least three such letters that are currently out there. Government really does have to answer these concerns, and soon as possible.

Yes, but are these letters from people suitably qualified to question?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
    7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Worst case predictions no doubt. Half this stuff is just scaremongering

The vast majority really shouldn't get worked up over this. 75,000 have recovered which is something the media haven't mentioned

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, Ice days, warm sunny days.
    3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I don't want to come across like I'm patronising you but do try and relax.. If it's affecting you like that you should really just go and lie down or watch a good film. Don't read or watch anything that will likely trigger anxiety attacks or make you panic. 

• Like 5
    Guest Delete Me

Delete if this is too sensitive, but they are opening up apartments in China whereby residents were either forcibly quarantined or locked in and finding them dead.

Edited by Delete Me
    Posted
    Just now, Bristle boy said:

Yes, but are these letters from people suitably qualified to question?

One is from the BSI (British Society of immunology) the 2nd is the one which has mainly uni lecturers, etc. The 3rd is another open letter from a whole range of scientists, and the list has such a vast range of people I couldn't possible say it represents, but needless to say there are numerous Epidemiologists and health workers.

I'd say yes to that answer. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
    1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

I fairly certainly a place in London has already signed people up.

Stage one in mice went 'really well' which has meant they've moved onto monkeys and humans next month.

This will be the quickest vaccine on record from starting research to human trials.

When the potential economic gain/limited damage gets into the hundreds of billions we are capable of anything.

At any rate it's good to see early signs that the quarantine in early Italian regions may be generating a peak. If that replicates itself at the national scale in a week or two it will be thumbs up for us to replicate.

• Like 2
    Posted

This is interesting from the Guardian- I wonder how long the UK government can resist the pressure to lockdown. It's interesting that they suddenly trust in experts now when experts have been dismissed from a large range of other topics in the past few years.

Our legal affairs correspondent Owen Bowcott has this from Northern Ireland:

Lawyers acting for the mother of a child who has asthma and attends a primary school in County Armagh are planning to launch a judicial review of the Stormont government’s decision not to close schools in Northern Ireland.

Darragh Mackin, a solicitor at Phoenix Law, said that the girl suffers underlying health problems, including severe asthma and is at a greater risk of harm should she contract the coronavirus.

He added: “It is clear that the respective public bodies have each failed in their respective obligations to our client, and indeed all children, by continuing to require their attendance at school in circumstances in which they would be at an increased risk of contracting the condition.

There is no time for any further delay. The necessary policies and decisions all need to be taken in a manner that recognises the real and immediate risk.

“The wider international community has spoken. Their advice cannot and should not be ignored.

“It is a deplorable situation when a mother has to initiate urgent legal proceedings to ensure that her child, and indeed children across the jurisdiction, are afforded the necessary protections and safeguards required under law.”

• Like 4
    Posted

Just a thought here.  A lot of people are in the general consensus that we are heading for a catastrophe in the UK, but are we?

(1) Number of tourists currently in the UK had sheared off, if almost none.  The last of which are going home in the next week, thus leaving the chance of rescue flights needed to nil.

(2) Number of offices working from home (reliable source most are on Level 4 (WFH), Level 5 is lockdown like Milan)

(3) easyJet plan to ground there entire fleet this week.

(4) People are panic buying weeks worth (Did the Government know that this is what would happen, thus reducing any stress of having to have the Army work on logistics?)

(5) Number of public using Public Transport is hugely down.

(6) All flights in/out of UK now are mostly rescue flights or people heading home (thus ensuring a tight seal)

(7) Eurostar are cutting services to 1 a day (in about a week) - Currently planned - 

(8) Army in preparation to guard supermarkets and hospitals.

(9) Last but not least, saying almost all of us will get this (That's one way to lemon a brick?)

My point being - Is this the UK Governments tactic to scaremonger people to stay at home (with lots of food) to stop huge disorder on a terrible scale and then implement lockdown?  Rather than go all out?

Edited by Robbie Garrett
    • Like 2