Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Quick breakdown of the data

• New cases - 171 (down 61 on yesterday)
  • Daily results received to 9am - 3,826 (up 1,293 on Saturday)
  • Daily positivity rate - 4.47% (down 4.69%)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
21 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Just bought the last available packet of Anadin from Lidl...I guess it was either that or nothing, but it was a difficult and perplexing decision nonetheless; because, as Phizer themselves used to claim: Nothing acts faster than Anadin!:shok:

I have a decent stock of Anadin too, but wasn't sure if the Aspirin part (anti-inflammatory) was a good thing ?
I know some medics are advising against Ibuprofen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
_111273596_gettyimages-1163531826-1.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The move comes as supermarkets continue to limit the sales of certain products to avoid them selling out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

4 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

But yet 171 new cases of 3826 tests? According to gov website  Am I missing something ?

Op

Must be, so confusing now all this. 

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

My word

Maybe they are waiting for death information before going to public on twitter?

But why release the new cases on your own website then tweet it's delayed? Probably don't know what they're doing.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

But why release the new cases on your own website then tweet it's delayed? Probably don't know what they're doing.

My best guess is the cases are known, but deaths is being updated, so it's being delayed due to deaths, not cases.

But we will see...

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

I'm not sure that would work, jtay.

My Wife tells me it's almost impossible to stop Residents wandering about and mingling at the Residential Care Home, where she works. The Residents are in their 70's, 80's and 90's, quite a few of them having full blown, Dementia.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is all ready present, in the Care Home. As I stated earlier, one Resident was carted off to Hospital, by a Paramedic in a Hazmat suit. Sadly,two of the Residents passed away last Week with Chest Infections. Evidently, another couple are on their, "last legs".

This is quite the norm, in an average Winter, Cold and Flu Season, though.

I'm not sure I'd fancy my Wife being in a "lockdown" situation and as for receiving "free cash". You can forget that, if my Wifes employer, is anything to go by.

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

Thanks TomSE12,

I'm an engineer turned IT bod, i.e. I know nothing about residential care, so it's good to have input from that side.

My point was to let the residents mingle, just don't let anyone out, or in; but as you say, if they're passing away from other illnesses on a regular basis, it's potentially not workable.

Also, the money would need to come from Government and bypass the owners. Make it optional and proper decent amount.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

That would be awful. Would it mean you couldn't go out for a run or a dog walk or a cycle ride? I just couldn't live like that but I'm so glad I have a nice garden.

I fortunately I have a large garden.  Although fairly tidy after the autumn clear up been out today for a bit of chemical warfare on the weed seeds that are sprouting.  Will follow up with my flame gun when they have died down.  Decided I would grow a lot more vegetables this year compared to latter years as I was rather winding down. So currently going through my seeds.

Usually grow numerous varieties of tomatoes, peppers, chillies, potatoes and beans both for eating green and drying.  Plus fruit. Won’t be long before the asparagus will be poking through .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
21 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

No - it doesn't make sense. Then again, if this wasn't likely how would anything change from the current situation? I think we just need to wait and see...

They would freeze mortgage payments and therefore it would be expected (if not enforced) that rents would be halted temporarily as a direct result.

That’s my take on it anyway ?‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

I have a decent stock of Anadin too, but wasn't sure if the Aspirin part (anti-inflammatory) was a good thing ?
I know some medics are advising against Ibuprofen.

Yep, i've seen questions about ibuprofen use, not sure specifically why - i.e. modulation of immune response or something else.

Aspirin is part of the same family of drugs NSAIDs, so inhibits the bodies inflammatory response by same bio-chemical pathway as ibuprofen. So if ibuprofen turns out not to be recommended (of which there is currently no official guidance that is the case) the other NSAIDs are probably in the same boat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Regarding Ibuprofen use - a virologist offers a counter-argument to ibuprofen = bad.

Why take chances? Ibuprofen can lead to bronchospasms in atopic individuals, renal failure in case of renal artery stenosis and severe gastro-intestinal bleeding, as well as to make any surgical procedure very difficult for the next 5 days due to profuse bleeding. Paracetamol works almost just as good without the risk of serious side-effects

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

"Amid the panic buying sweeping UK supermarkets, some people are trying to make a massive profit by selling toilet roll and hand sanitiser online, Josh Halliday, the Guardian’s north of England correspondent, reports.

The Guardian found one UK-based eBay user selling a 72-pack of Andrex toilet roll for £84.99 on Monday morning – triple its retail price.

The same user, who appears to be based in the Midlands, appears to have bulk bought dozens of cleaning products and uploaded them all to eBay at huge mark-ups since Saturday night.

They include a 48 pack of Andrex loo roll for £59.99 - triple its retail price of £18 - and Wilko anti-bacterial wipes for £10.95, nearly ten times the retail price of £1. This seller and eBay have been contacted for comment.

There appears to be no shortage of people willing to pay such extortionate prices: an auction for a 72-pack of Andrex toilet roll had reached £51 on eBay by Monday morning - nearly double its retail price of £27 – with over five hours of bidding still to go.

Other sellers were also getting in on the profiteering. One seller had flogged dozens of Regina 9-pack toilet rolls (RRP £2.49) for up to £12.99 since Saturday night. Another had sold 18 packs of Andrex for £8.50 –more than triple its retail price of £2.50." (Source: Guardian online)

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Well our pubs/clubs are closed

St patrick's day parades cancelled 

Schools closed

Social distancing being implemented in shops

Supermarket chains opening 1 hour earlier than normal for seniors only to do their shopping 

The people who went out to the pubs over weekend were ridiculed and called idiots by almost everyone. 

The vast vast majority are taking it seriously. 5 min drive from me over the British border is a completely different story however. 

Plus wearing masks is pretty much pointless unless your ill yourself in which case you should be self isolating anyway. Also if you still have your eyes exposed it's pointless as well and those masks are needed for medical professionals, their will be shortages. 

So we're not taking a relaxed approach at all. The general consensus is in total support of the measures and some think it doesn't go far enough. I haven't seen or heard anyone complain. It needed to be done is what I hear over and over. 

The big mystery is where are you from? Suggest you edit your profile to include the location. Top right of page. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

"Amid the panic buying sweeping UK supermarkets, some people are trying to make a massive profit by selling toilet roll and hand sanitiser online, Josh Halliday, the Guardian’s north of England correspondent, reports.

The Guardian found one UK-based eBay user selling a 72-pack of Andrex toilet roll for £84.99 on Monday morning – triple its retail price.

The same user, who appears to be based in the Midlands, appears to have bulk bought dozens of cleaning products and uploaded them all to eBay at huge mark-ups since Saturday night.

They include a 48 pack of Andrex loo roll for £59.99 - triple its retail price of £18 - and Wilko anti-bacterial wipes for £10.95, nearly ten times the retail price of £1. This seller and eBay have been contacted for comment.

There appears to be no shortage of people willing to pay such extortionate prices: an auction for a 72-pack of Andrex toilet roll had reached £51 on eBay by Monday morning - nearly double its retail price of £27 – with over five hours of bidding still to go.

Other sellers were also getting in on the profiteering. One seller had flogged dozens of Regina 9-pack toilet rolls (RRP £2.49) for up to £12.99 since Saturday night. Another had sold 18 packs of Andrex for £8.50 –more than triple its retail price of £2.50." (Source: Guardian online)

Suppose people don’t have to buy the stuff.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:

The big mystery is where are you from? Suggest you edit your profile to include the location. Top right of page. 

my guess is the clue in his/her username

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Donegal said:

Not a mystery at all if you read the quote and reply. The country is literally there in black and white. 

:olddoh: beat me to it

Posted
9 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Why take chances? Ibuprofen can lead to bronchospasms in atopic individuals, renal failure in case of renal artery stenosis and severe gastro-intestinal bleeding, as well as to make any surgical procedure very difficult for the next 5 days due to profuse bleeding. Paracetamol works almost just as good without the risk of serious side-effects

Paracetamol is like gold dust at the moment. I have ibuprofen to hand. Paracetamol is also brutal on the liver.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

More the fools for buying the stuff.

Prob more for the UK, but

Just use a bit of nous, be nosey in your local shop i.e. converse with some of the shop workers you see regularly (if u dont already), esp if a smaller outlet. You soon get to know delivery times and shelf stacking times. Smaller outlets often tend to have deliveries during the day, often every other day. So stock arrives during opening hours, shelves get stocked during shop opening hours. You can still get most of your items from the big superstores here, but certain items get snapped up early doors as the biggies stock in early hours, ready for the opening. Stay safe and well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Azazel said:

Paracetamol is like gold dust at the moment. I have ibuprofen to hand. Paracetamol is also brutal on the liver.

Aye, and there are possible side-effects associated with any drug; but, by and large, I'm happy to 'take the risk'...

Posted

Some good news from Scottish Rugby 

The Scotland Women player who had contracted coronavirus has now been released from hospital, Scottish rugby has confirmed. The player is now "feeling back to normal" and no longer needs to self-isolate, nor do the seven members of the Scotland playing and management staff who had been taking precautions.

_97584297_breaking_news.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Scottish Rugby has announced that the Scotland Women player who had contracted coronavirus has now been released from hospital.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Regarding Ibuprofen use - a virologist offers a counter-argument to ibuprofen = bad.

They are not suggesting increased susceptibility from taking those drugs but that you can suffer from more severe disease if they are taken while you are unwell with Covid.

7360.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

French minister says patients should take paracetamol rather than ibuprofen or cortisone