Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

COVID-19 Pandemic

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I think normal folk will do the work for them gradually as factories close etc as the illness spreads.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, emax said:

Yeh, they're all sat back drinking brandy and smoking cigars, wondering what all the fuss it about..................................on the other hand, maybe they just aren't bothered with explaining every tiny little bit of detail that may or may not happen.

Silence until something is needed, is the best approach. Just look at all the "leaks" that get misinterpreted, mostly by the media, which just makes the governments job even harder.

Funny though, Americans dont think USA is doing enough, French dont think France is doing enough, Germans dont think Germany is doing enough, and Italy and probably Spain are already buggered..........people will have a political bias and complain, no mater that!!!

Quite agree. Why people think they have a right to know about everything including when Boris last wiped his backside is a mystery to me.

What do they think on Tristan da Cunha?  Probably up in arms that Boris hasn’t made a visit yet to explain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

1st post on this topic so please excuse my ignorance. I have been lurking in here for a while and reading most of the posts it really does sound like the end is nigh.honestly anyone with even slight anxiety worries should avoid this place and other media outlets like the plague.

presuming that I have got the numbers right China with a population of of 1.36 billion have about 85000 positive tests and unfortunately 3500 have perished.from those kind of numbers I really don’t see the need for the extreme measures and panic.

In general I am very relaxed about most things but have to admit the coverage of this virus is of the scale and making me a little bit nervous  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

3,000 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the US, along with 62 fatalities

Posted
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

Keep the cases down so they dont have to shut places down to end of next week as they planned get bills passed through blah blah but are coming under immense pressure from the normal folk to start shut down now clear as day the tactics in use here but sure I'm just against government as I'm biased.

I think that is a little too skeptical. I think its purely resource management. Very soon (talking days) there will probably be too many people with possible symptoms to test them all, even with our new expanded capacity.

Instead, use them in hospitals, where even there they might run out of capacity eventually near the peak.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Just make sure you have somebody to raise the alarm if it doesn't turn out to be mild Pete?

It's one thing battling on, it's wholly another letting yourself go before your time!!!

Maybe 'NetW' could have a dedicated 'SOS' threat for members who have isolated but find themselves 'alone & struggling' eh?

It's what communities do is it not?

I agree. I have been thinking of having a 'support' thread, non judgemental, somewhere to vent, and away from any figures or science? If enough like this I will do one,

Edited by Blessed Weather
Changed 'threat' to 'thread'.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Not sure if it's been put on here but those 14 people who sadly lost there lives were aged between 59 and 94 and all had underlying issues 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

All schools, bars, cafés, restaurants and sport clubs closed until at least April 6th

Where? 

5 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Not testing people and telling them to self isolate means we can't know how many have the virus. There's no way of spinning that. We know we have capacity to test many more than 2,000 per day, but it's not happening. it's also against the WHO recommendations.
Hoping to make, distribute and analyse millions of rapid test (which still haven't been confirmed) when the country goes into lockdown doesn't sound like the most reliable idea.

I dont get how you think using up resources to test people with a cough will help the situation at this present time? Community wide testing is for later, not now. If you could use up every testing resource available and manage 10,000 per day, in a week you will have tested 0.1% of the population. Even if a massive 50% of those tests are positive, the other 50% will have to be tested at a later date. So all that resource over a week, and you will have captured 0.05% of the population that "potentially" would need to be tested. All that in a week that is probably the most important as preparations are being ramped up as quickly as possible. 

As for the rapid tests, they are confirmed to be coming, but a definite date isnt set. Could be a few weeks, could be a month, who knows.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Lombardy region of Italy has seen 1,587 new cases and 252 new deaths

Full Italy data to follow

Good god that's horrendous 

Posted
11 minutes ago, booferking said:

but sure I'm just against government as I'm biased.

Yes and it is blooming obvious. Don’t want politics on here even by stealth particularly when it is in message after message.

• Like 3

Posted

Oh dear thats alot of deaths...

Probably going to be 300 deaths from Italy alone today in that case. Starting to really mount up over there, health services must be really starting to struggle under the strain.

Critical cases must be starting to really pile up as well.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Shocking numbers still coming out of there. are with them so sad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Scandinavian Airlines to cut 90% of staff and will suspend most of its operations owing to "essentially non-existing demand for air travel"

Posted

The guy who died in Bristol Royal Infirmary was only 59, and had not long returned from Fuerteventura. 

• Like 1

Posted

Scandinavian Airlines to cut 90% of staff and will suspend most of its operations owing to "essentially non-existing demand for air travel"

For alot of travel companies these next few months might well tip them over the edge. It will clear the field for the strongest.

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Oh dear thats alot of deaths...

Probably going to be 300 deaths from Italy alone today in that case. Starting to really mount up over there, health services must be really starting to struggle under the strain.

Critical cases must be starting to really pile up as well.

"Starting to struggle"? I think they've gone way past the start. They appear to be losing the battle. Blunt i know. Real concerns now, for here and elsewhere in Europe.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, emax said:

I dont get how you think using up resources to test people with a cough will help the situation at this present time? Community wide testing is for later, not now. If you could use up every testing resource available and manage 10,000 per day, in a week you will have tested 0.1% of the population. Even if a massive 50% of those tests are positive, the other 50% will have to be tested at a later date. So all that resource over a week, and you will have captured 0.05% of the population that "potentially" would need to be tested. All that in a week that is probably the most important as preparations are being ramped up as quickly as possible. 

As for the rapid tests, they are confirmed to be coming, but a definite date isnt set. Could be a few weeks, could be a month, who knows.

So the idea is that when things get bad enough, the over 70s will be told to self isolate. The question then becomes, how do we know when it's bad enough? If we are not testing then we can't track the numbers. Will vulnerable groups have to remain indoors for months while we hope the rapid test kits become a reality? Testing more people now isn't putting resources under strain. There is the capacity for more the 2.5k/day. Having a better handle on the numbers and spread will also provide a firmer foundation for planning and preparations.

• Like 4

Posted

We normally get our food shopping delivered by Sainsbury's and their booking system is now fully booked for weeks ahead.

I think the panic buying is going to get worse unless government steps in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
11 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Where? 

Holland

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: Italy report 3,590 new cases and 368 new deaths

total now 24,747 cases and 1,809 deaths

When did Italy go into lockdown was it last weekend, hopefully these numbers will start to reduce