Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, qwertyK said:

What's the point of a hot summer when you'll have to spend it in doors?

As said earlier, it is premature but the 2nd/3rd update of GWV continue to support a cooler than average summer, dry at times but unsettled with a wet August and July. 

How do know we’ll have to spend it indoors? Most people have a garden so nice summer weather will be welcomed, I’d have thought. And cases of coronavirus are rising in Africa and some tropical countries. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

How do know we’ll have to spend it indoors? Most people have a garden so nice summer weather will be welcomed, I’d have thought. And cases of coronavirus are rising in Africa and some tropical countries. 

I also don’t think we’ll be in lockdown beyond June either.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 minutes ago, cheese said:

I also don’t think we’ll be in lockdown beyond June either.

Have to think positively ?? Here, the Czechs have dealt with it very well and everyone is behaving and following the strict guidelines to the letter. Hence them getting a handle on infection rates. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
11 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

If anything, we need a sunny and dry period to offset the cloudy and extremely wet September to March we have just had. If we get a terrible summer a la 1998, we won't see the grass brown until August!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Had a lovely day yesterday at kings woods, I hope we'll get plenty of dry weather coming up from now on after our horrible winter.

47.jpg

57.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Have to think positively ?? Here, the Czechs have dealt with it very well and everyone is behaving and following the strict guidelines to the letter. Hence them getting a handle on infection rates. 

My guess is late April to early May is when we start to come out of this. With maybe a week or two beyond that before everyone fully returns to work. 

3 weeks won’t be long enough, as that will be subject to review. I’m confident things will start to improve in 5-6 weeks. Still as I sit here guarding an empty building, that still seems like a long time away.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Atmogenic said:

Had a lovely day yesterday at kings woods, I hope we'll get plenty of dry weather coming up from now on after our horrible winter.

47.jpg

57.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

Yes it’s very nice, and this period reminds me of late September, where the last hints of summer were fading and a chill was starting to appear in the air, while the days were dry and sunny with low humidity.

I like the weather when it’s calm and sunny with a slight breeze, even when it’s hot. A dry sun, as opposed to a humid sunny day, which we usually seem get once we move into late May. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

My guess is late April to early May is when we start to come out of this. With maybe a week or two beyond that before everyone fully returns to work. 

3 weeks won’t be long enough, as that will be subject to review. I’m confident things will start to improve in 5-6 weeks. Still as I sit here guarding an empty building, that still seems like a long time away.

How come you still have to work?

Very hard to know when this will start to ease off. Things in the UK are likely to get much worse in the short term, unfortunately. Hopefully it won’t be too long, though things won’t be ‘normal’ for a some time, if at all. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

UV index of 6 moderate warning ..lol its -8c outside ..cant see many people are going to be out sunbathing 

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

How come you still have to work?

Very hard to know when this will start to ease off. Things in the UK are likely to get much worse in the short term, unfortunately. Hopefully it won’t be too long, though things won’t be ‘normal’ for a some time, if at all. 

I fall into the category of ‘essential worker’, due to insurance purposes for the building I work at. My building is based in the financial district in central London, so unless the tube network shuts completely, it’s business as usual for the likes of me. 

The upset of this situation, is I will have to spend every other week at home. The point to this is to have the teams split in half, so if someone who’s at work is too sick to work, whether it’s the virus or something else, we are on standby to come in.

So, I’m more than welcome to take a local walk, but can’t really stray too far in case I get a call and will be expected to drop what I’m doing and come in.

We are paid for the whole during in full, so I’m not doing too bad, but I do need to keep myself well and avoid the risk of getting it, especially on the weeks when I have to commute to work.

We were all presented with a permit to work paper, in case the police stop us.

• Like 1

Posted

The sunshine total is really totting up this month now with 154 hours so far compared to the monthly average of 113hrs. The highest on record was 2012 on 201hrs so there's a slim possibility of getting close to that.

Today was also actually the coldest minimum temperature since February 2019 at -3.4C, beating anything this 'winter'.

Posted
3 minutes ago, reef said:

The sunshine total is really totting up this month now with 154 hours so far compared to the monthly average of 113hrs. The highest on record was 2012 on 201hrs so there's a slim possibility of getting close to that.

Today was also actually the coldest minimum temperature since February 2019 at -3.4C, beating anything this 'winter'.

This march, despite some warm-ish days, has felt more like a winter month than a spring one. Crisp, frosty sunny mornings. This month for me in my area has had more days below 10C than February, and also more days where the tempreature reached 0C or below

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I fall into the category of ‘essential worker’, due to insurance purposes for the building I work at. My building is based in the financial district in central London, so unless the tube network shuts completely, it’s business as usual for the likes of me. 

The upset of this situation, is I will have to spend every other week at home. The point to this is to have the teams split in half, so if someone who’s at work is too sick to work, whether it’s the virus or something else, we are on standby to come in.

So, I’m more than welcome to take a local walk, but can’t really stray too far in case I get a call and will be expected to drop what I’m doing and come in.

We are paid for the whole during in full, so I’m not doing too bad, but I do need to keep myself well and avoid the risk of getting it, especially on the weeks when I have to commute to work.

We were all presented with a permit to work paper, in case the police stop us.

Fingers crossed you stay well. Do you have to use the tube? Looks like it’s still busy, despite all the warnings 

Posted

Leeming in N Yorkshire is sitting at 108% of the monthly average sunshine. A sunny month indeed.

It’s also been about 2 weeks since it last rained, a long overdue dry period. Long may it continue.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
14 hours ago, qwertyK said:

This march, despite some warm-ish days, has felt more like a winter month than a spring one. Crisp, frosty sunny mornings. This month for me in my area has had more days below 10C than February, and also more days where the tempreature reached 0C or below

Felt like a winter month? Perhaps in Scotland under wind rain and cloud, but south of that it’s been pleasantly warm with blue skies, down here I haven’t seen a cloud since last Saturday, and temps have been up to about 12-14c most days, I think it’s been an amazing spring month admittedly after a dull start. I hope April continues this ..

Posted
Just now, Freeze said:

Felt like a winter month? Perhaps in Scotland under wind rain and cloud, but south of that it’s been pleasantly warm with blue skies, down here I haven’t seen a cloud since last Saturday, and temps have been up to about 12-14c most days, I think it’s been an amazing spring month admittedly after a dull start. I hope April continues this ..

Winter shouldn't be widny, rainy, cloudy though, it should be sunny and crisp (admittedly this is not always the case but certainly the winters of the past were sunnier than the oens now). 12-14C is the same maxima we were gettign in Jan and Feb. I've heard they had up to 19.4C in Rhyl, but the south has been denied any unseasonably warm weather. As said, frost has occured for 7 days now this month, when there were only 3-4 days last month. We've also had around 10days of where the tempreature has failed to make it to 10C. Comparatively, last March saw one day with a tempreature under 10C (9C), whereas teh lowest maxima here has been 5C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
9 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Winter shouldn't be widny, rainy, cloudy though, it should be sunny and crisp (admittedly this is not always the case but certainly the winters of the past were sunnier than the oens now). 12-14C is the same maxima we were gettign in Jan and Feb. I've heard they had up to 19.4C in Rhyl, but the south has been denied any unseasonably warm weather. As said, frost has occured for 7 days now this month, when there were only 3-4 days last month. We've also had around 10days of where the tempreature has failed to make it to 10C. Comparatively, last March saw one day with a tempreature under 10C (9C), whereas teh lowest maxima here has been 5C. 

I think it just goes to show how bad the winter months were rather than March, of course winter is mainly wet windy cloudy and mild more often than not, wind direction is from the Atlantic 95% of the time

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Freeze said:

I think it just goes to show how bad the winter months were rather than March, of course winter is mainly wet windy cloudy and mild more often than not, wind direction is from the Atlantic 95% of the time

This winter could have been decently cold though had the AO not suddenly become ridiculously postive. November was actually a very cold month. All had to go to sh*t in December

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Winters in the UK are supposed to be sunny? Are you having a laugh? 

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

Winters in the UK are supposed to be sunny? Are you having a laugh? 

Sunny at times, but not mild or anything warm. The phenonemon of global dimming means that sunlight is actually decreasing. Winters in the UK are now just very wet and mild, nothing like the ones of the past, which were still worse than continental winters but still better than now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Heathrow has recorded 120 hours of sunshine this month up to yesterday, so March will definitely end with above average sun hours (the first sunny month of 2020).

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Freeze said:

It has only felt warmish this week, the rest of the time has felt quite chilly. Not knocking it, it’s nice weather, but there’s still a chill in the air. Warm in the sun, but you are reminded of how cold it can still be in the shade and in the breeze.

That said, it’s nice and fresh feeling.

Posted
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

Sunny at times, but not mild or anything warm. The phenonemon of global dimming means that sunlight is actually decreasing. Winters in the UK are now just very wet and mild, nothing like the ones of the past, which were still worse than continental winters but still better than now.

Hmmm, that’s not true. We still get sunny dry winters from time to time. I just feel this past one, and the one before have clouded peoples minds. 

Even 18/19 winter was sunny at times.