Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2020 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

Yes, a May snowfall for example would at least be interesting but this is just nuisance cold. I suppose it's not so unusual in May even here but it does take the biscuit seeing headlines such as "Intense Arctic cold" (from Severe Weather Europe, not the Daily Express) after such a hopeless "winter" which delivered nothing remotely resembling Arctic cold. 

Whilst in Greece and Turkey temperatures this weekend may reach 40C!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

I'm liking the latest Met Office 10 day trend:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
12 minutes ago, Zak M said:

I'm liking the latest Met Office 10 day trend:

Looks good - but based on last nights 12z judging by the pressure data table (think these are recorded the day before). The 12z runs last night were very warm to hot. UKMO good again today though, so let’s hope it’s right. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

GFS 12z for Friday 22nd May

D0297638-9DC3-4C1B-B5D9-F47B74782F18.thumb.jpeg.f6d66c7a67720e8118c0a1387a33c5ba.jpeg

GFS 6z for Friday 22nd May

F8457FAA-446E-45A3-A5BC-CD313177458C.thumb.jpeg.7cb2229b3dd7662b8123c4a81501cd7b.jpeg

Utterly clueless.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Looks good - but based on last nights 12z judging by the pressure data table (think these are recorded the day before). The 12z runs last night were very warm to hot. UKMO good again today though, so let’s hope it’s right. 

Met Office and BBC always seem to have to play catch up, day behind the charts and increasingly seem to latch on to 10 day trend forecasts that as we know chop and change, they would be best of sticking to the 6-7 day timeframe as they used to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1281882.jpg
WWW.EXPRESS.CO.UK

THE MET OFFICE has predicted warm and sunny weather up and down the country for the next couple of weeks. Is the UK set for a heatwave?

Well looks like its time to build that Ark then.....weeks of rain ahead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

3rd morning on the bounce with completely clear skies, but guessing like last 2 days, full cloud by 10am lasting all day until 8pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

This dry weather is fairly monotonous now. I am missing the sound of raindrops hitting the ground accompanied by that fresh earthy smell. We are in need of a good rainfall I think. Or even better, a good thunderstorm. ?️ ⛈️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I don’t mind the dry weather but a bit of variation wouldn’t go amiss. It’s the nagging cold breeze that’s been the issue over the last few days although thankfully it looks like we’re about to lose that. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Loved that cooler breeze,so much more better for out door stuff,will be sad to see it go next week,not looking forward to it at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
6 hours ago, matt111 said:

I don’t mind the dry weather but a bit of variation wouldn’t go amiss. It’s the nagging cold breeze that’s been the issue over the last few days although thankfully it looks like we’re about to lose that. 

I agree. More variation is exactly what is needed. I felt the same way about all that rain we had during the autumn and winter as I do about this current prolonged dry weather. I do like warm and sunny weather but I find that any type of weather, no matter what it is becomes boring after a while if it goes on and on for a while.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
21 hours ago, matt111 said:

horrible day here, not seen sun at all, some days were warmer/sunnier in March

Posted

This is turning into an exceptionally dry and sunny spring for us. We've only had 32.0mm of rain since the end of February, so are still well under the driest spring on record (2011) which saw 51.0mm and light years away from the 1981-2010 average of 144.0mm.

Sunshine-wise, we're already on 523hrs for the spring compared to the 1981-2010 average of 469hrs. We only need another 69 hours in the rest of May for this to be the sunniest spring on record, which is also held by 2011. We'll also have a crack at 600 hours for the season, a figure only 12 summers in 40 years have managed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, reef said:

This is turning into an exceptionally dry and sunny spring for us. We've only had 32.0mm of rain since the end of February, so are still well under the driest spring on record (2011) which saw 51.0mm and light years away from the 1981-2010 average of 144.0mm.

Sunshine-wise, we're already on 523hrs for the spring compared to the 1981-2010 average of 469hrs. We only need another 69 hours in the rest of May for this to be the sunniest spring on record, which is also held by 2011. We'll also have a crack at 600 hours for the season, a figure only 12 summers in 40 years have managed.

Even here west of the Pennines it's been extremely dry. The soil is like that too. Barely a wet day since early April. In some ways it's a good job we had that soaker of a Winter to fill up the reservoirs in this region, so we shouldn't be in trouble in that respect. We do seem to having these extremes of long dry periods alternating with long periods of wet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, reef said:

You've been drier and sunnier than down here this spring so far!

Mar: 42.8mm / 148.0 hrs

Apr: 38.2mm / 235.4 hrs

May: 0.4mm / 121.7 hrs (to 14th)

Our sunniest spring was 1990, with 687 hours.

Edited by B87

Posted
On 14/05/2020 at 15:42, markyo said:

Loved that cooler breeze,so much more better for out door stuff,will be sad to see it go next week,not looking forward to it at all

It’s not going anywhere next week.

If anything it’s going to improve.

We need the hot weather now. I’ve had enough of those dry cool sunny spring days. The chilly breeze and feeling cold in the shade has now outstayed it’s welcome. From mid to late May, I just want hot days and warmer evenings, with more humid weather. 

Posted
On 14/05/2020 at 13:36, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This dry weather is fairly monotonous now. I am missing the sound of raindrops hitting the ground accompanied by that fresh earthy smell. We are in need of a good rainfall I think. Or even better, a good thunderstorm. ?️ ⛈️

No thanks, I prefer long periods of waking up to blue skies. It’s a lovely feeling, and to think just 8 or so weeks ago, it was dark and cloudy. 

I don’t mind a few brief 2-3 days of rainy or damp cloudy weather, but I wouldn’t want 1-2 weeks of that stuff as a replacement to the current spell of dry sunny weather.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

We need the hot weather now. I’ve had enough of those dry cool sunny spring days. The chilly breeze and feeling cold in the shade has now outstayed it’s welcome. From mid to late May, I just want hot days and warmer evenings, with more humid weather. 

Well, April for the most part did not feature cool spring days, being largely warm!  Only the last week of the month was cool and wet.  This week has been a little chilly, but at least it has been dry and sunny. Hot days and warm evenings is fine, but not humid weather IMHO.  I enjoyed summer 2018 as although it was hot, it wasn't too humid and therefore not uncomfortable, especially at night.

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Haven't minded the past week, except the days when the breeze made it feel a little chilly at times. Glad it's warming up again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
3 minutes ago, Don said:

enjoyed summer 2018 as although it was hot, it wasn't too humid and therefore not uncomfortable, especially at night.

It was perfect, many days in the mid / high twenties throughout but cooling down to about 11/12C overnight which was plenty comfortable, even in July / August we didn't have many muggy nights as far as I remember.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, CheesepuffScott said:

It was perfect, many days in the mid / high twenties throughout but cooling down to about 11/12C overnight which was plenty comfortable, even in July / August we didn't have many muggy nights as far as I remember.

There’s not a summer you don’t get uncomfortable nights in London while July, 2019 was less warm than 2018 the nights were more unpleasant. Which is interesting as Heathrow stats suggest 2018 the nights were warmer, average min 16.4c (2018) vs 15c (2019) perhaps may have owed to more humidity.

Late summer is nearly always muggy in London even into September, June is my favourite summer month. I don’t like it particularly warm, all I want is the sunshine. 

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Hints of UV 8 next week for the far south. Exceptional for the UK? and even more so that it's May.

We've had 6s and 7s for several weeks now. ☀️

uv8wed.thumb.png.ec1f6d939b7643ead650d3a2eb6e711d.png

Posted
23 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Hints of UV 8 next week for the far south. Exceptional for the UK? and even more so that it's May.

We've had 6s and 7s for several weeks now. ☀️

uv8wed.thumb.png.ec1f6d939b7643ead650d3a2eb6e711d.png

8 is relatively rare in the UK, even around the solstice but the sun is only 3 or 4 degrees below its maximum height now, so in perfect conditions it can occur.

UV levels have been quite high this spring though for some reason.

• Like 1

Posted

I think the record high UV index for the UK is around 9, at Camborne.

Posted
32 minutes ago, reef said:

UV levels have been quite high this spring though for some reason.

Cleaner air from the Covid lockdown. Fewer particles in the atmosphere, so more radiation reaching the surface.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1