Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hill-walking weather discussion

Sentinel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Friday I'm supposed to be travelling down to Cornwall for a weeks walking the South West Coast Path from St Ives round to Falmouth. I'm seriously considering cancelling it though due to the high winds forecast with Storm Dennis. What do people think the weather is going to do over the next week or so? I need some help making my decision as I will lose almost £300 in fares, B&B's etc. But on the other hand I don't want to blown off a cliff, washed out to sea or end up spending the day drinking luke warm tea in a National Trust property.

Any thoughts please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, Sentinel said:

Friday I'm supposed to be travelling down to Cornwall for a weeks walking the South West Coast Path from St Ives round to Falmouth. I'm seriously considering cancelling it though due to the high winds forecast with Storm Dennis. What do people think the weather is going to do over the next week or so? I need some help making my decision as I will lose almost £300 in fares, B&B's etc. But on the other hand I don't want to blown off a cliff, washed out to sea or end up spending the day drinking luke warm tea in a National Trust property.

Any thoughts please?

All depends what sort of person you are.I don't know that path but if winds are so strong just keep away from any cliff edge.You could give yourself the excuse not to go because of the weather but there are others who would relish tough conditions.I thought I had heard of all the tough challenges out there such as Ultramarathons but recently stumbled on something that blew me away.On a night out in early January we stayed at the 'Tan Hill pub',Britains highest pub high in the Yorkshire dales.During the height of storm Brendan we noticed a few guys with filming equipment and when asked what they were doing they said they were filming the 'Spine race'.A non stop race of the entire Pennine way all 260 miles of it.Then a guy wals in during the storm and torrential rain having hiked 120 miles non stop and hes only half way,i didn't think that was humanly possible.The record is around 90 hours I believe.Madness!

Posted

It all depends on what the weekend brings. I just don't fancy walking found Lands End and the Lizard in strong gale force winds. I have the experience - I normally go winter walking in the Cairngorms about this time of year - but this year I thought I would do something different. As for the Spine race, fell runners are utterly insane!

Posted

I've put my walk back four weeks. The wind combined with the rainfall will make everything saturated and difficult to walk on so I'm delaying it. Disappointed but it's always best to err on the side of caution, especially on a coastal path.

• Like 1

I regularly walk the SW coast path (I've covered over 1000 miles by doing several sections multiple times) and, trust me, it would be bloody awful in these conditions. Nothing even remotely enjoyable.

Edited by West is Best

Posted

I'll be starting on Saturday 14th March from St Ives towards Pendeen then Land's End and round to Penzance and onto the Lizard. Hope to see you!