Sign in to follow this  
Summer Sun

Storm Ciara - Atlantic storm 3

Whelp that doesn't look good.  Watching the Porthcawl stream, police turned up and cleared everyone off of the wall and away from it. Then a couple mins later a helicopter (police/coastguard?) started buzzing back and forth with it's spotlights on searching in the water :s

• Like 2

Strongest its been all day and still south of squall line, weather station I use pick up a 98mph Gust, its in Capel so quite possibly correct. 

Edited by alexisj9

8 hours ago, bluearmy said:

surely it’s not beyond the two organisations wit to use a list of names which both populations can spell! 

What is this nonsense? 

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Whelp that doesn't look good.  Watching the Porthcawl stream, police turned up and cleared everyone off of the wall and away from it. Then a couple mins later a helicopter (police/coastguard?) started buzzing back and forth with it's spotlights on searching in the water :s

High tide is at 18:44, so fingers crossed the clearing of people is because of that, and the helicopter was just a precaution to definitely make sure no one is in or around the water.

• Like 1

For once, the daily express was right. 

• Like 1

Heard on the bbc weather this is the most damaging storm for 7 years think that should be 6 years really.

1 inch of rain today thats alot for a SWly windflow.

1 hour ago, Icebox said:

On the radar it appears to be running ENE... it is not getting any closer to the coast.

feb09dover2.png

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Just watching this now,the helicopter is there now with the search light on,hope there is no one in the sea.

Forgot to include the timelapse videos.

58 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

feb09dover2.png

Which is why that went Amber 2 days ago, full Mark's to the metoffice.

• Like 1

Watched the squall front come towards my location earlier today, then as it approached it thinned out and almost broke in two, giving no more than a minute of interesting weather, and then soon after it cleared up, there appears to be some sort of blocker for interesting weather surrounding me

The job helping put up an antenna was completed in the afternoon in glorious sunshine - and was only delayed " because of the rain" complete with being told " told you so" that this weather event was overhyped with nothing more than a stiff breeze bit of rain and a heavy shower ( the squall front)

Edited by Rich_T
  • Like 1

Squall line just reaching Jersey now. It is also now giving some people in Belgium a taste of what we have had today

Untitled.thumb.jpg.91f71d7082b728796cc639f86c1af598.jpg

Lots of heavy showers packing in behind by the looks of it

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rich_T said:

Watched the squall front come towards my location earlier today, then as it approached it thinned out and almost broke in two, giving no more than a minute of interesting weather, and then soon after it cleared up, there appears to be some sort of blocker for interesting weather surrounding me

The job helping put up an antenna was completed in the afternoon in glorious sunshine - and was only delayed " because of the rain" complete with being told " told you so" that this weather event was overhyped with nothing more than a stiff breeze bit of rain and a heavy shower ( the squall front)

image.png.651ca28762943f4ff1a9923783778079.png

Wasn't you due to go out at 9am anyway? Seems like it was too windy for the job till the last squall line passed through. It was more than just a stiff breeze and a shower for many... and this image posted earlier from Shirebrook also suggests otherwise? Yes squally gusts can be unpredictable but that doesn't mean performing a such a job isn't without risk.  

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Overall this was a very worthwhile event for Bexhill; Lovely slate-grey crashing seascapes earlier, and wind gusts at around 14:00 in excess of 70-75mph at one particular point! 

The noise at that stage was very eerie... A long, continuous whistle, with deep roars in mixed in with the ferocious gusts. The trees beside my garden were mercilessly thrashed around at times. My garden’s fence was partially destroyed. 

I especially enjoyed the walk on the seafront, where I struggled up Galley Hill. The rain felt like sand grains against my numb face. It really brought me back to the winter of 2013-14, when I was around 11. My dad took as for a walk along Hastings seafront during a deep storm. It was the kind of wind in which you struggle to keep your footing in.

I hope everyone has had a good day, and has a good evening!  At least this event gives this Winter something interesting for me to look back upon...

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 1

The higher winds for the SE did not materialize, then - no places in the SE figured in the top 20 gusts table. 

Looks like areas near The Wash for the worst of the "inland" gusts. 

Overall a decent storm but there have been worse ones here near the S Coast in recent years with almost no hype at all. 

• Like 1

Nothing more than a bit of breeze here, south-west of Cambridge, a couple of gusts enough to knock an empty bucket out on the patio onto its side, and barely enough rain to wet the windows!  I took the dog out at 4pm and behind the clouds, blue sky and sunshine were pushing in from the west.  Cloudy and breezy now, but nothing of note.  I had been so worried the roof would be damaged, a lot of tiles came off in a southerly wind during Storm Eleanor in January 2018.

Just a few miles south-east from here, the roof of a hangar at Duxford was damaged and the adjacent M11 was closed for fear of loose debris.

• Like 2

This is the last one, I promise! 😉

Edited by Zak M

IMHO the level 2 was justified. I'm a tree surgeon in Derbyshire and we've been out all day responding to call outs from power company and local authority. We've been to 25 jobs and personally I was attending a tree that had downed a 11kv line when the squall line went through and another big tree went over right next to us! Definitely the most intense squall I've personally witnessed. (was somewhat East of Nottingham at the time) 

• Like 9