Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Of course it wont be spot on   but if those are right  we should be looking at a three figure rise today?.

I think every country's case load will be unique due to differences in social interactions, usage of public transport, awareness of the disease, population age.... loads of factors.  However it seems there's a localised 'tipping point' at which all hell breaks loose in one region.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
6 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Of course it wont be spot on   but if those are right  we should be looking at a three figure rise today?.

Maybe not today but they all jump from 400 onwards.

Hopefully France and Germany can avoid these 500 type increases.

Guest Delete Me
6 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I'm predicting +50-60 today, I really hope I'm right else anything above that is hard to regain control of

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Wolves game against Olympiacos on Thursday is now in doubt after Evangelos Marinakis who is joint owner of Olympiacos and Nottingham Forest tested positive for coronavirus.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Wolves game against Olympiacos on Thursday is now in doubt after Evangelos Marinakis who is joint owner of Olympiacos and Nottingham Forest tested positive for coronavirus.

I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad   Looking forward to watching that aswell 

• Like 1

Posted

Dramatic account from an Italian doctor 'in the thick of the action', so to speak. Cant post link from my mobile (Sky News), try and read it on skynews website. Maybe someone can post the link

Headline:

Coronavirus: 'Stop saying it's a bad flu' - Doctor fighting Italy outbreak shares dramatic account

The doctor says "the message of the danger of what is happening" is not reaching people in a Facebook post shared 29,000 times.

• Like 4

Guest Delete Me
27 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

This is very insightful. It suggests much of Europe is on the same path. It also suggests the UK is some way behind the main continent. Island effect?

Although I think the reports of fatalities might give an even more accurate picture, as reports of "cases" are bound to be affected by testing rates. For instance, why is Germany so much lower on fatalities as a proportion of cases than neighbouring countries? Better treatment, or better testing procedures catching more cases?

Yes and regardless of heathrow being the busiest airport in Europe, we are not linked by road and rail to the extent of mainland European countries nor are we linked socially, economically (locally) or in many other ways as closely.

Being an island has massive benefits and i think we are seeing these come to the front now.

Saying this, watch us jump up by 200 cases today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
27 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Completely agree with you there mate... Over the years I thought I could eat bricks... Doing intense gym work, working in all weather's... Acting the lad when out... Yet the night I suffered a massive anxiety attack, I absolutely messed myself! Thought I was a gonner! Was convinced it was heart attack.. Truelly terrified. My dad has parkinsons and his brother has dementia.. Both were ultra fit and well 5 years ago.. So this is something you just can't joke about, when you see it at close quarters with family members who looked bomb proof a few years back!! We just can't take anything for granted, and that most definitely includes this covid 19 strain. 

H1N1 in December 2010 left me struggling with the impacts of 'Post viral Syndrome' and I'm sure this virus will create its own pool of victims that will also find their lives radically altered by such an 'autoimmune misfire' even if they 'sail through' the infection itself?

The common factor in Me/PVS/Yuppie flu is stress/anxiety?

Get into a 'calm' headspace and you might spare yourself worse later!!!!

• Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Are cases in China still falling day on day? I haven't seen much from there since last week.If it follows a similar pattern to China then the peak seems to be 2-3 months after the outbreak starts becoming uncontrollable.For us that's likely going to be May/June.

Chinese peak was brought under control by the length and very strict quarantine, they gotta be careful not to get a second wave once restrictions are lifted.

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Dramatic account from an Italian doctor 'in the thick of the action', so to speak. Cant post link from my mobile (Sky News), try and read it on skynews website. Maybe someone can post the link

Headline:

Coronavirus: 'Stop saying it's a bad flu' - Doctor fighting Italy outbreak shares dramatic account

The doctor says "the message of the danger of what is happening" is not reaching people in a Facebook post shared 29,000 times.

Not sure the Deputy Chief Medical Officer saying for 99% of cases it’s just like a bit of flu was acceptable .

The illness itself for anyone who ends up in hospital is much worse than flu. And that’s much more than 1% of cases .

So her 99% figure and her casual approach was really making it seem like nothing. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Headline:

It's always been "a less lethal form of SARS" but that unfortunately, that does not mean a great deal to the average person on the street, so the Flu comparison has stuck.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, beatpete said:

Chinese peak was brought under control by the length and very strict quarantine, they gotta be careful not to get a second wave once restrictions are lifted.

I'd be shocked if they don't get a spike at some point, however given the success of the measures, they will probably just jump on it again and shut it down.

Anything less than 50 increase today and we will be doing very well, but also don't panic if there is a bit of a jump either today or tomorrow.

Also, measures will need to be taken against Spain, particularly the Madrid region soon, its starting to go under the radar a little given what is happening in Italy but it will creep into the mirror soon enough.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Just had 2 massive rows with my parents.

Dad has hospital appointment on Friday. It's none vital. Personally I dont think its sensible for him to go as hes 76, and my Mum has a diabetes,  has breathing issues and had 2 heart attacks.

In my Mums words " it's perfectly safe" I've some hand gel. it's only a cold. When I pointed out the dangers, "oh it's all hype and it's not here". 

Never have I lost my temper so much. Theres stubborn and then theres stupid and selfish, as god forbid anything happens as the only child who picks up the pieces.....

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Dad has hospital appointment on Friday. It's none vital. Personally I dont think its sensible for him to go as hes 76, and my Mum has a diabetes,  has breathing issues and had 2 heart attacks.

In my Mums words " it's perfectly safe" I've some hand gel. it's only a cold. When I pointed out the dangers, "oh it's all hype and it's not here". 

Never have I lost my temper so much. Theres stubborn and then theres stupid and selfish, as god forbid anything happens as the only child who picks up the pieces.....

Best wishes to you and your parents

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, philglossop said:

It's very difficult, us old blighters are a stubborn bunch but sometimes reading something can really take the wind out of your sails.

Let them read this in its entirety .. had a profound effect on me.

1237142891077697538.jpg
THREADREADERAPP.COM

Thread by @jasonvanschoor: From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy: 1/ ‘I feel thegive you a quick...

• Like 3

Posted

Three new cases in Cumbria including teacher at Carlisle school

img.jpg
WWW.ITV.COM

Three new Coronavirus cases have been diagnosed in Cumbria - including a teacher at Carlisle's Trinity School. It brings the total number of...

Close the school!

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snipper said:
skynews-italy-coronavirus_4943641.jpg?20
NEWS.SKY.COM

Truly frightening and the use of ECMO in younger people should hopefully dispel the myth that if you’re younger you can just go round in denial and ignore this .

ECMO is the very last chance of survival in severe sepsis  . A friends son who had that is now 19 and both fit and plays rugby was on that . He was incredibly lucky to survive.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

So who else thinks 'Easter hols' might turn out to be very long this year (running into the summer hols?)

When Luke got a 'new' Dr on the Ward I'd always tell them " You're only 'Practicing Medicine', fetch me someone who does it for real!!!"...... Oh! how we all laughed......

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Joke or not Cheltenham will be a ticking time bomb if someone genuinely does have coronavirus, and they turn up.

Seriously, what on earth, better be flu, or a joke. 

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Seriously, what on earth, better be flu, or a joke. 

Just gave him a piece of my  very sparse mind.  Feel much better now. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

It'll be interesting to see the # of cases reported today. If it's still around 50 then maybe less worry is needed, but 100+ could suggest an exponential increase starting

• Like 2

Just now, Stabilo19 said:

It'll be interesting to see the # of cases reported today. If it's still around 50 then maybe less worry is needed, but 100+ could suggest an exponential increase starting

Yes and no. More people will be tested as of today, so that could skew the figures. Although it will probably get shown in the figures those that are new cases, and those that are already in hospital and only just been tested.

Guest Delete Me

It's almost time folks, will we see a three figure increase or are the measures in place working enough to keep it under 60