Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Joke or not Cheltenham will be a ticking time bomb if someone genuinely does have coronavirus, and they turn up.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Experts are warning the peak in Italy may not happen until mid-April

Can I just use this post to say thank you to Summer Sun for the number of brilliant, concise news announcements he is contributing to this thread.   I am seriously considering ditching the TV in favour of updates from you, SS, because there is no attempt by you to 'spin' the information - just the facts as they emerge.  There have been many many excellent contributions to this thread from all the NW members we are so lucky to have on board but, SS, you are a star!   

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Joke or not Cheltenham will be a ticking time bomb if someone genuinely does have coronavirus, and they turn up.

Shouldn't make statements like that - that can land you with a beating - yes probably only a joke but you know what some people who use the internet are like.

• Like 6

Posted

Oh dear, another sizeable rise in Spain (up 281) and that won't be the last one today from them either (I think they are reporting twice a day, could someone correct me?)

Mirroring Italy almost exactly at the moment...

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Shouldn't make statements like that - that can land you with a beating - yes probably only a joke but you know what some people who use the internet are like.

Hey Feb, his he just talking crap! Bad fever! Would he really be going if he felt that unwell? If he does then shame on him! A totally irresponsible thing to say! Wasn't there a person in China or Japan recently who was told to self isolate, instead he went straight to a bar where he told folks inside that he was infected!!! Total morons the lot of em! 

Edit... And in all fairness if people who were infected, deliberately went out to infect others..... My god, could we be talking about a glut of court cases, claiming manslaughter!! Just like knowingly spreading HIV! 

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mattwolves said:

Hey Feb, his he just talking crap! Bad fever! Would he really be going if he felt that unwell? If he does then shame on him! A totally irresponsible thing to say! Wasn't there a person in China or Japan recently who was told to self isolate, instead he went straight to a bar where he told folks inside that he was infected!!! Total morons the lot of em! 

Well you and i know he has got wibble all - and 99% of people know the people who make out they are not scared of a life threatening condition probably are scared and would be 111ing it if it were true, but there are thick people around that are malicious, look i don't mind sick jokes but not ones that can actually do damage, my nan died of altziemers but have heard many of those jokes and thats fine, i am not one of those over sensitive people but there is a difference when you are actually creating panic about an ongoing situation

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Faulkner said:
  • MARCH 10TH STATS
  • 1. San Marino: 15.269 cases per 10,000 people (population less than 100k) (NEW)
  • 2. Iceland: 17.844 cases per 100,000 people (same)
  • 3. Italy: 15.165 cases per 100,000 people (same)
  • 4. South Korea: 14.596 cases per 100,000 people (-3)
  • 5. Iran: 8.823 cases per 100,000 people (-1)
  • 6. Bahrain: 7.300 cases per 100,000 people (same)
  • 7. China: 5.826 cases per 100,000 people (-2)
  • 8. Switzerland: 4.364 cases per 100,000 people (-1)
  • 9. Norway: 4.237 cases per 100,000 people (-1)
  • 10. Singapore: 2.851 cases per 100,000 people (-1)
  • 11. Spain: 2.638 cases per 100,000 people (+6)
  • 12. Sweden: 2.579 cases per 100,000 people (-2)
  • 13. France: 2.107 cases per 100,000 people (+1)
  • 14. Belgium: 2.096 cases per 100,000 people (-2)
  • 15. Denmark: 2.016 cases per 100,000 people (NEW)
  • 16. Netherlands: 1.868 cases per 100,000 people (+2)
  • 17. Kuwait: 1.571 cases per 100,000 people (-6)
  • 18. Hong Kong: 1.569 cases per 100,000 people (-5)
  • 19. Austria: 1.484 cases per 100,000 people (-4)
  • 20. Germany: 1.478 cases per 100,000 people (-2)
  • 21. Japan: 0.947 cases per 100,000 people (-2)
  • 22. Greece: 0.782 cases per 100,000 people (-2)
  • 23. UAE: 0.627 cases per 100,000 people (NEW)
  • 24. Israel: 0.573 cases per 100,000 people (NEW)
  • 25. UK: 0.480 cases per 100,000 people (-3)
  • 26. Australia: 0.410 cases per 100,000 people (-5)
  • 27. Malaysia: 0.370 cases per 100,000 people (-4)
  • 28. USA: 0.216 cases per 100,000 people (-3)
  • 29. Canada: 0.204 cases per 100,000 people (-5)
  • 30. Iraq: 0.185 cases per 100,000 people (NEW)
  • 31. Thailand: 0.072 cases per 100,000 people (NEW)
  • 32. Egypt: 0.060 cases per 100,000 people (NEW)

This is very insightful. It suggests much of Europe is on the same path. It also suggests the UK is some way behind the main continent. Island effect?

Although I think the reports of fatalities might give an even more accurate picture, as reports of "cases" are bound to be affected by testing rates. For instance, why is Germany so much lower on fatalities as a proportion of cases than neighbouring countries? Better treatment, or better testing procedures catching more cases?

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

18 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Breaking: President Macron: "We are only at the beginning of this epidemic"

Sorry for this but is it possible to include a source? Can't seem to find any of this anywhere ?

Spain is close to 1,500 cases 

1583772929376.jpg
WWW.RTVE.ES

El coronavirus Covid-19 continúa registrando nuevos casos en España, con 1.500 casos y más de 30 fallecidos en 17 comunidades...

Posted

Explains why so many planes are still going to the areas hit by Corona

skynews-virgin-atlantic-plane_4943782.jp
NEWS.SKY.COM

Passengers report "eerie" deserted journeys, as airlines say European laws are making it hard for them to cancel flights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Well you and i know he has got wibble all - and 99% of people know the people who make out they are not scared of a life threatening condition probably are scared and would be 111ing it if it were true, but there are thick people around that are malicious, look i don't mind sick jokes but not ones that can actually do damage, my nan died of altziemers but have heard many of those jokes and thats fine, i am not one of those over sensitive people but there is a difference when you are actually creating panic about an ongoing situation

Completely agree with you there mate... Over the years I thought I could eat bricks... Doing intense gym work, working in all weather's... Acting the lad when out... Yet the night I suffered a massive anxiety attack, I absolutely messed myself! Thought I was a gonner! Was convinced it was heart attack.. Truelly terrified. My dad has parkinsons and his brother has dementia.. Both were ultra fit and well 5 years ago.. So this is something you just can't joke about, when you see it at close quarters with family members who looked bomb proof a few years back!! We just can't take anything for granted, and that most definitely includes this covid 19 strain. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Are cases in China still falling day on day? I haven't seen much from there since last week.If it follows a similar pattern to China then the peak seems to be 2-3 months after the outbreak starts becoming uncontrollable.For us that's likely going to be May/June.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

What time is our update normally?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, summer blizzard said:

2pm usually.

Numbers in China are now very low, I think literally a couple of dozen. From Wuhan lockdown to now is something like 45 days. So April probably going to be a very rough month for Europe...and no doubt the AO will flip positive just n time for a cool Spring as well!

Posted
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

afternoon 2 or 3 o'clock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 minute ago, Ross90 said:

Are cases in China still falling day on day? I haven't seen much from there since last week.If it follows a similar pattern to China then the peak seems to be 2-3 months after the outbreak starts becoming uncontrollable.For us that's likely going to be May/June.

The government are trying to control it so the peak of it is in the summer time 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

China are down to just 19 confirmed new cases now with all but 2 of them in Wuhan. The newest figure is the lowest since corona started at the end of last year they have also reported 17 new deaths all of them in Hubei.

China still report daily though the media are now more focused on Iran and Italy.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

The government are trying to control it so the peak of it is in the summer time 

I think they will have been lucky and done very well if they can make it last that long based on recent trends in Europe.

I think Madrid might have to go into lockdown fairly soon based on how many of Spain's reports are coming out of that region at the moment.

I suspect now that the UK is testing all respiratory cases in hospitals, we may well see a larger uptick in case numbers in the next couple of days. May not be reflective of a change of overall trend, just a change in method.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
40 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Sounds fair, Italian cases at 10,000 odd is only 0.1% of Lombardy, let alone the total population of Italy!

If less than 0.1% is overwhelming Italian healthcare, which is a perfectly good healthcare system, the one shudders at what happens when peak infection hits.

Our PM, did say that potential worse case scenario is 1 in 5 of the working population off work come peak, that suggests 20%, 200 times of what Italy is currently experiencing. Long way to go me thinks.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

New cases are still slowly being added but active cases have been falling for about 3 weeks which in turn was about 4 weeks after the lock down.

Italy still has smaller rises and lower active numbers though so if it works it probably won’t take 4 weeks to bring to peak.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul Faulkner said:

We are ar day 2

15838301803230.png

Of course it wont be spot on   but if those are right  we should be looking at a three figure rise today?.