Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
Just now, emax said:

Yes and no. More people will be tested as of today, so that could skew the figures. Although it will probably get shown in the figures those that are new cases, and those that are already in hospital and only just been tested.

If that is the case it will likely really show tomorrow, as the numbers today are upto 09.00, so would only account for a small period of time where those new methods are in place.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, emax said:

Yes and no. More people will be tested as of today, so that could skew the figures. Although it will probably get shown in the figures those that are new cases, and those that are already in hospital and only just been tested.

The tests apparently take several days to come through so I don’t think that will be a factor yet.

24 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Truly frightening and the use of ECMO in younger people should hopefully dispel the myth that if you’re younger you can just go round in denial and ignore this .

ECMO is the very last chance of survival in severe sepsis  . A friends son who had that is now 19 and both fit and plays rugby was on that . He was incredibly lucky to survive.

Again, yes and no. Younger people are still very much less at risk than older people, that fact hasnt changed. No one has said this doesnt affect younger people, but its still, yet again, a matter of perspective. In the UK alone, I should imagine there's easily maybe several hundred deaths per day of "younger" people.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Donegal said:

Worrying from Spain

I've been VERY worried since yesterdays numbers came through from Spain and it had that large spike, many are coming from the Madrid region which is obviously highly populated. Looks like its behaving very similarly to what we have seen in Italy last night and so stiffer measures will be required from them probably in the next 24-48hrs.

I'd lockdown Madrid (since we know this is only going one way at this point), and seriously consider postponing the Liverpool vs Athletico Madrid match given this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

The tests apparently take several days to come through so I don’t think that will be a factor yet.

Actually yeh, my bad, you're right on that. Talk that the UK has been slow on test results, so that could even explain why we are behind on cases......watch and wait then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A man in his 80's has died after testing positive for coronavirus he was in the Watford General Hospital and had underlying health conditions.

The virus was picked up in the UK with contact tracing underway

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

A man in his 80's has died after testing positive for coronavirus he was in the Watford General Hospital and had underlying health conditions.

The virus was picked up in the UK with contact tracing underway

This would give an indication that containment has failed.

Posted
5 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

This would give an indication that containment has failed.

Yes, a while ago!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's alright, the government is having a meeting tomorrow.

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, saint said:

Today’s figures delayed until later this afternoon. 

Thanks Saint, wonder why that is the case though?

Hopefully its just an admin thing and not a jump in cases which is requiring a change of approach from the govt.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms
51 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

H1N1 in December 2010 left me struggling with the impacts of 'Post viral Syndrome' and I'm sure this virus will create its own pool of victims that will also find their lives radically altered by such an 'autoimmune misfire' even if they 'sail through' the infection itself?

The common factor in Me/PVS/Yuppie flu is stress/anxiety?

Get into a 'calm' headspace and you might spare yourself worse later!!!!

Tell me about it - ME/PVS is horrid. When it first develops it terrifies you to think you are coming down with MS or some nervous system illness that will eventually kill you. Anxiety goes through the roof - not even a psychiatrist can reasure you everything is ok because the symptoms are that dreadful. It took the doctor 1 year to confirm my diagnosis. 20 years later and I still suffer from time to time but it's so relieving once you had the tests and diagnosis. I do expect some people to who recover from this virus to get similar symptoms to PVS. Mine started after the H1N1 virus which turned into pneumonia for 3 months in 2009/2010. The recovery was soon followed by my unfortunate downfall to PVS. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
21 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

but 100+ could suggest an exponential increase starting

Courtesy of the 'ruck' in the loo roll isle...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Really hope this is not what I'm thinking...

They were delayed one day last week.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

They were delayed one day last week.

I think the difference is the govt was attempting to move to just once a week updates, and then had huge backlash so had to re-introduce daily reports. This isn't anything to do with that.

As I said, hopefully just an admin issue, which obviously can happen from time to time.