Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted

My dad returned from Lanzarote in the Canary’s on Friday. A friend of theirs travelled out to see them last Monday, who started getting ill with a cough on Wednesday.

On Friday (after travelling back to the UK) my dad developed a cough. He has early stage COPD so coughs aren’t unusual for him but he’s also got an intermittent high temperature.

NHS 111 have told him to visit his GP tomorrow but he has to have a phone consultation first so the doctor can decide if he needs to be tested/is safe to go in to be seen face to face.

He’s holed up at home at the moment as he feels rubbish, but fingers crossed it’s just his COPD.

Edit: he’s 64 so I’m really hoping it is not the virus - also, we’ve not seen him since the start of the month before he went away so no risk to my son who has asthma if it is that.

Edited by lottiekent
Added info
  • Like 2

Posted

Matt Hancocks comments regarding the virus v flu were both misleading and dangerous .

Current fatality rates for the virus are at least ten times that of the flu . The flu rate is 0.1% v at least 1 to 2% for the Coronavirus .

It might be that with more data the latter goes down but as Health Secretary he really should know better . 

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
21 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Matt Hancocks comments regarding the virus v flu were both misleading and dangerous .

Current fatality rates for the virus are at least ten times that of the flu . The flu rate is 0.1% v at least 1 to 2% for the Coronavirus .

It might be that with more data the latter goes down but as Health Secretary he really should know better . 

So not massive and most that have died have done so due to other underlying factors.10 % of nothing is still nothing.

I think creating needless panic is more dangerous.

Posted
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

So not massive and most that have died have done so due to other underlying factors.10 % of nothing is still nothing.

I think creating needless panic is more dangerous.

What do you mean 10% of nothing is still nothing .

You are talking about people’s lives here! Will you be using that flippant tone if it’s one of your elderly relatives who succumbs to the virus .

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You are talking about people’s lives here! Will you be using that flippant tone if it’s one of your elderly relatives who succumbs to the virus .

The complacency of some astounds me

• Like 5

Posted

It seems as if the religious sect leader in South Korea is in big trouble with the authorities there .

The BBC are reporting that he could be charged with homicide as they refused to hand over details of some of the members which meant the government was unable to track who they’d been in contact with .

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

It's a very small amount and nothing to panic about and you shouldn't be trying to panic people. If one my relatives get it it would be just bad luck. The chances of getting it are very remote. 646000 people die of flu a year are you panicking over that. No.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Italy have reported 566 new cases & 5 new deaths

Total 1,694 with 34 deaths

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

It's a very small amount and nothing to panic about and you shouldn't be trying to panic people. If one my relatives get it it would be just bad luck. The chances of getting it are very remote. 646000 people die of flu a year are you panicking over that. No.

I’m not panicking people but merely would like science based facts relayed . And your attitude seems to be who cares , a couple of more thousand deaths in the UK  isn’t much as people die of the flu anyway ! 

The 646000 figure is worldwide . At a fatality rate of 0.1% .  If the CFR is much higher than that’s deeply troubling .

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I’m not panicking people but merely would like science based facts relayed . And your attitude seems to be who cares , a couple of more thousand deaths in the UK  isn’t much as people die of the flu anyway ! 

The 646000 figure is worldwide . At a fatality rate of 0.1% .  If the CFR is much higher than that’s deeply troubling .

It's quite worrying that people are comparing it to flu when flu is 10x less deadly. 

The only reason that this has killed less people so far than flu is because it has infected a fraction of the amount of people that flu has!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted

On a side note, the flu is nothing to be 'sniffed' at either. I had it one time where my kidneys were on the way to shutting down. On top of the flu symptoms I had pain in my sides and fluorescent orange urine! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
51 minutes ago, Donegal said:

My friend in France has had flu like symptoms this past week but hasn't gone to the Doctor. None of his family members have become ill as of yet and he stayed with them for a couple of days. How many people out there will get this and have mild symptoms, never seek medical advice and just spread it around like wild fire.

Our old friend 'flu is still very much doing the rounds here in France so it's most likely that. Probably better for people to stay away from the doctor and the surgery unless they have worrying symptoms or need a sick note.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Jesus. H. Christ. 

The state of that post.

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

On a side note, the flu is nothing to be 'sniffed' at either. I had it one time where my kidneys were on the way to shutting down. On top of the flu symptoms I had pain in my sides and fluorescent orange urine! 

Yep flu is no joke   on the urine  your right it does turn orange   in the right light its hypnotic   anyway  huge numbers in Italy  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

The BBC are saying that the West Yorkshire cases are two in Leeds and one in Bradford. The former are two people who went to Iran and the latter to Italy. OH is working in Bradford until the end of this month. We'll wait and see what happens before making any decisions but if it starts to spread there he might be over here a little earlier than we thought!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

The problem is that you're not stating another fact. The fatality rate is probably to high. So yes you are being alarmist.

I'm not being flippant just being realistic.

The worse thing we can do is create unnecessary panic which at the moment worries me more.

What other diseases have over the years supposed to have wiped us out

1) HIV.

2) Swine Flu.

3) Bird Flu

4) Sars

5) Mers

6) Ebola

Another thing I'm concerned about is a virus like this one which seems to spread easily in some situations has a much higher fatality rate and a much higher reproduction rate like say measles.

The human population shows that it doesn't have the ability to cope with it's modern approach. This is a warning shot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

3,000 deaths worldwide now with over 88,000 confirmed cases so far 42,417 people have recovered.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

It's quite worrying that people are comparing it to flu when flu is 10x less deadly. 

The only reason that this has killed less people so far than flu is because it has infected a fraction of the amount of people that flu has!

But flu is responsible for triggering other medical conditions and when those people die their death certificate doesnt mention the flu, because the 'other' condition, like pneumonia becomes the responsible killer. So, not all countries' flu stats take into account deaths indirectly 'caused' by flu. The 0.1% mortality rate is misleading.

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Not just that but the latest who assessment from China actually puts the fatality rate at just a little under 4% from China cases. Odds are lesser developed countries may see higher than that.

So this was a per the latest estimate on the order of 30-40 times more deadly than the flu.

Comparing them is actually spreading bad misinformation, they may be from similar backgrounds, but this one is at the moment clearly more dangerous, by order of magnitude so infact.

Pit  - it appears it's the other way round, it's more deadly than first estimated, at least on those cases thus reported.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

I think his job is reassurence for now, so people do not panic about sounds like it from how he spoke anyway, however I do hope this doesn't mean they are putting the economy above people's lives. 

• Like 2

Posted

Add on that most have mild symptoms the true number of infections is probably much higher which again reduces the fatality rate.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well, here's a thing...

In Washington state, where cases have just been discovered in the community, a couple of hospitals are completely closed, medical staff and several teams of firefighters (patient transfer) are quarantined because they have unknowingly handled infected patients with covid-19. Do you not see a wider risk of death in communities where emergency front line personnel and premises have been taken off stream.

A bit more lateral thinking is required !!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
20 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Add on that most have mild symptoms the true number of infections is probably much higher which again reduces the fatality rate.

That's three assumptions you've made, in only two posts, PIT...And then you go on to criticise others for not providing any facts...?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 3