Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

Looking at current radar the showers seem to be merging but they are going to have to go some to get as far east as me. Still dying out over the Cairngorms currently. 

I wouldn't normally put links like this in here, but every little thing might help if anyone is interested. 

uEhDLVBPrZyWiKX-1600x900-noPad.jpg?15803
WWW.CHANGE.ORG

Leave the roadside verges to promote the wellbeing of Scottish pollinators.

• Like 9
16 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Looking at current radar the showers seem to be merging but they are going to have to go some to get as far east as me. Still dying out over the Cairngorms currently. 

I wouldn't normally put links like this in here, but every little thing might help if anyone is interested. 

uEhDLVBPrZyWiKX-1600x900-noPad.jpg?15803
WWW.CHANGE.ORG

Leave the roadside verges to promote the wellbeing of Scottish pollinators.

I support this 100%. In parts of Caithness, the road verges are some of the last refuges for plant diversity, so it follows that if they're mismanaged, pollinators will suffer.

I believe there have been attempts to get Highland Council to manage verge cutting more sensitively, but with little success as contractors tend to do it when it suits them.

• Like 9

The colder upper air looks like being back in place by about 3am (-5c) with it getting colder and down to about - 8c by 9am lasting through to lunchtime on Wednesday from what I remember. Small gap of mild tonight and then hopefully back to more snaw! 

• Like 8

Oh, a shower made it through. Looked out to just catch the tail end of it falling and its left a wet looking covering on the grass, but not the roads or paths. 

• Like 7
39 minutes ago, Ross B said:

The colder upper air looks like being back in place by about 3am (-5c) with it getting colder and down to about - 8c by 9am lasting through to lunchtime on Wednesday from what I remember. Small gap of mild tonight and then hopefully back to more snaw! 

Aye, its aw been pish here the nicht. 

Loads ae blobs, but each yin a damp disappointment. 

Ach well, aff tae the scratcher and pray fir mair snaw the morn!

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 9

2020021206_202002102222_1_stormforecast.

"A level 1 was issued across NW and Central Europe mainly for severe convective wind gusts and to a lesser extent, for tornadoes.

SYNOPSIS and DISCUSSION

The jet-stream over Europe that has resulted in numerous extreme events the past few days, will continue to affect the largest part of the continent by the end of this forecast. CAPE is only marginal and mostly found over the North Sea, and overland is mostly expected to reach a few tens of J/kg or about 100 J/kg, following the diurnal heating. Without any profound surface frontal system crossing the level-1 area, we are expecting scattered storms embedded into this strongly sheared environment to produce severe convective gusts, while damaging winds will also be non-convective. A maritime polar air mass which is about to invade NW-Central Europe may also result in locally high accumulations of graupel."

• Like 5

absolutely hammering it down with driving sleet..... Quickest pee in history from the pup out the back.... Does appear to be 3 c so maybe it's actual temp and uppers and dew point and wet bulb.... Either way it's not snow ?

• Like 3