Norrance

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

13 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Some really good photos in here again! Easily the best regional thread?

The meto are updating warnings, for the snow they are now mentioning more than 20cm of snow for the highest routes by the end of Tuesday - i'd be shocked if that isn't an amber warning for the M74 corridor later on Monday and into Tuesday as that'll be carnage with the strong winds. The only reason I'm guessing they haven't is that its still a few days away and reliant on showers training on the same areas. 

Some of the models going for more than 50 cm of snow for the highest areas...

This could turn out to be an epic holiday for me, I'm so excited I can't sleep after my nightshift ?? 41 going on 6 and I couldn't care less. 

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

UKV showing some big snowfall totals by Wednesday especially for the mountains.

186049136_viewimage-2020-02-07T102159_652.thumb.png.9dc4a8f5e102d765aee3ecedf0608e3b.png

I’d say that’s entirely for elevated areas. It’s practically a relief map of Scotland.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I’d say that’s entirely for elevated areas. It’s practically a relief map of Scotland.

Yes those were my thoughts. Not being funny but we have events like this multiple times a year.

Will we see flakes of snow which may lie - Aye

Will said snow be almost immediately on the melt on lower ground - Also Aye 

Love a good storm though so i’m excited for that. 

• Like 4

I think this storm started off sounding like a major event, which by the sounds of it could still be for the south of England, And so that got everyone’s hopes up. it’s sounding like nothing that out of the ordinary here now.

What’s also notable about the map posted above is the complete absence of lying snow at sea level or anything close to it, which pretty much ties in with all the other forecasts I’m seeing. We’ll get some wind, but again that’s a 3-4 times a winter event.

I think the only reason it’ll be noteworthy at all is that we’ve had such a boring winter so far. 

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

To be honest i doubt it'll even be the strongest storm this year through the central belt.The one in early Jan brought 60-65 mph winds for a time, none of the forecasts apart from the bbc expect it to reach 60 here.

Still snowing here in Nashville. Even settling right into the downtown area. No great depths but lovely to see! Looking forward to next week and seeing what happens. Would love the heights in the warnings to drop to 100m though ?

• Like 7

A relatively rare weather event here earlier with freezing fog.

Sun came out late morning and temp has climbed from -1.8C earlier to a still cool 2.6C now. All change tomorrow.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Norrance said:

A relatively rare weather event here earlier with freezing fog.

Sun came out late morning and temp has climbed from -1.8C earlier to a still cool 2.6C now. All change tomorrow.

got up to a tropical 7.2 C here earlier compared with that ? now 6.3 C 

• Like 1

Looking like a high ground snow event Mon/Tues so nothing out of the ordinary for Scotland ⛄️ Hopefully we get some kind of NNEasterly in March when the PV slackens it’s grip ? 

Yup i hate to be prophet of doom but just seen detailed Met Forecast for local authorities and it is very much horrible weather but nothing to worry about with little to no lying snow at low levels and no real storm damage. What is a bit more noteworthy is that it will be windy for quite a prolonged period of time. That's MO view not mine so just hoping it can upgrade a bit for us to at least bring some exciting weather. 

• Like 4

A chilly, frosty and foggy start to the day. The frost cleared quickly but the stratus never quite lifted . 

Salt marsh ponds at Montrose Basin this afternoon.

563918620_SMarshMontrose.thumb.jpg.6e68af8c6b2246ab081e9889d5882525.jpg

• Like 5

Quite a few lowland places could see settled snow at times from Monday into Wednesday but the wet bulb level does fluctuate:

1299477588_Screenshot_20200207-171507_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dc22d1de8b020d55ff9fe7f94a776773.jpg20200207_171834.thumb.jpg.3d561f1ed9b7d5746a548aa3e1599d2c.jpg

Definitely a mebbes ayes mebbes snaws kinda few days and the charts show it's too early to write off almost everyone's snow chances, apart from @Kirkcaldy Weather and @Hawesy and @Hairy Celt who aren't getting snow ever again, but right to be a little sceptical.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
Because Kirkcaldy Weather had a wee tantrum
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Quite a few lowland places could see settled snow at times from Monday into Wednesday but the wet bulb level does fluctuate:

1299477588_Screenshot_20200207-171507_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dc22d1de8b020d55ff9fe7f94a776773.jpg20200207_171834.thumb.jpg.3d561f1ed9b7d5746a548aa3e1599d2c.jpgDefinitely a mebbes ayes mebbes snaws kinda few days and the charts show it's too early to write off everyone's snow chances, but right to be a little sceptical.

Even mine? ?

30 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Even mine? ?

Post now corrected.

• Like 1

If this is rapidly turning into a non-event... Friggin ScotRail have the Glasgow to Oban trains already cancelled through all of Sunday, and into Monday as well,

Edited by stevofunnelcl
too many alreadys

Twenty fourth air frost at - 1.5°C this morning. Got down to -5 on the car thermometer driving into work. 

Yellow excitement alert for the shuggee cottage Mon-Weds.... Same height as Abington on the M74 here so cautiously looking good. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

If this is rapidly turning into a non-event... Friggin ScotRail have the Glasgow to Oban trains already cancelled through all of Sunday, and into Monday as well,

Looks like an over reaction based on current forecasts but it seems to be quite hard to predict exactly where the worst of it will be even at less that two days out which is unusual.Lanarkshire has stronger winds forecast tomorrow than on Sunday currently. 

Here's the 850 temps for Tues lunchtime from today's ECM 12z:

285462428_Screenshot_20200207-192341_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.97f157ff2a5dfe9b2de9ea2ec5f5099d.jpg

-6C across more than half of Scotland, -7C inland in the SW. 

• Like 3

My postcode's got snaw on and off Mon to Thurs morning but the wind looks more worrying, up to 53mph. I hate high winds up here.

• Like 4

Bridge light reflection off the now incoming low cloud 

20200205_230042.jpg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Serac said:

Bridge light reflection off the now incoming low cloud 

20200205_230042.jpg

That’s probably from mossmorran. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Snowlover2 said:

That’s probably from mossmorran. 

Numerous glasses of wine confirm I won't be walking to the other side of the bridge to confirm or deny that theory ?

• Like 7

Does anyone remember when you're really small, you'd make out you're as old as you could, like 'You're only 5 and three quarters, I'm 6 and a quarter!'

I've started having these conversations again!  'I'll be 60 soon, gloom and doom...'  'Just wait till you're 70, you've seen nothing yet - no energy, arthritis, piles, can't sleep, bla bla...'

A friend today: 'I'll be 64 next week. It's brilliant, I can get jaffa cakesed as often as I want and nobody gives a lemon any more!'

• Like 8

4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

1299477588_Screenshot_20200207-171507_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.dc22d1de8b020d55ff9fe7f94a776773.jpg20200207_171834.thumb.jpg.3d561f1ed9b7d5746a548aa3e1599d2c.jpg

Definitely a mebbes ayes mebbes snaws kinda few days and the charts show it's too early to write off almost everyone's snow chances, apart from @Kirkcaldy Weather and @Hawesy and @Hairy Celt who aren't getting snow ever again, but right to be a little sceptical.

Thanks. Also includes my weekday home near Wick. :wallbash:

Gotta be a payback for this anguish one day. There have been a few posts here about Lapland adventures at some point - is anyone serious about this?

• Like 3