Snow?

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

I have to say, I think the met office snow warning is pretty Conservative for Monday into Tuesday. 

1-3 cm on ground above 150m and 5-10cm above 300m.... I reckon ground around 200m could be looking a good bit more than 1-3cm. I'm around 200m and places such as Shotts are about 240 - 260m.... I'll be amazed if there's only 1-3cm in these places. I had more than that last Tuesday!! 

Having said all that, even 3cm can turn into carnage when strong winds and drifting is involved, still very plausible to have exposed roads with decent drifts off fields etc but given the fact its a pm airflow and the snow is likely to be quite wet rather than the dry powdery snow produced from an easterly then drifiting may not be as bad as what it could potentially be, ala BFTE

Screenshot_20200206_191408_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.thumb.jpg.792615995cdd0767572a09454248f497.jpg

Screenshot_20200206_191402_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.thumb.jpg.d92e0e6499deb9e57049afcd07568a59.jpg

100% agree ?

• Like 2
On 03/02/2020 at 13:49, SW Saltire said:

The ground is very very wet. Really could do with an improvement down here but seems like this time next week we’ll be getting battered again... Shock. I hope it’s white rather than wet!

I never seen(Over 50 years) the ground so wet in this area over  the  last three months. We are normally on the dry side most of the time.My factory scale dairy farming neighbours were rolling grass at the end of January for what we think must zero grazed grass for the spring. Had to roll down the hill in some of the fields to avoid damaging the grass.A farming operation I have never seen done in January before.

• Like 9

Forgot to post above. The weather today did try to redeem itself with blue skies,sunshine and no wind all day .Took the opportunity to lay in a store of neeps as when ground is dryer machine works better.DSC01792.thumb.JPG.16b7159ab88c80e615d527f46e215f58.JPG Only managed to lift two thirds of field as having to leave bottom third as ground to wet. Cows are eating  off this wet area as machines and tractors would just sink. Maxiumum  today of 8c currently 2c

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Forgot to post above. The weather today did try to redeem itself with blue skies,sunshine and no wind all day .Took the opportunity to lay in a store of neeps as when ground is dryer machine works better.DSC01792.thumb.JPG.16b7159ab88c80e615d527f46e215f58.JPG Only managed to lift two thirds of field as having to leave bottom third as ground to wet. Cows are eating  off this wet area as machines and tractors would just sink. Maxiumum  today of 8c currently 2c

Crikey. No wonder there's a methane problem!

Nice day in Caithness too, looks like another on tomorrow then it all goes a bit weird and sort of wintry for a few days.

I've just been looking back at my photos from two winters ago to remember what deep lying frozen snow looks like.  Sad really, I can't help myself wondering whether we might already have buggered the atmosphere too much already. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Fear not folks, latest cfs 9 month going for winter in April / May easterlies, sliding lows ? cfs-0-1380.thumb.png.8ced3dbab7a578726495f426a34ee04d.pngcfs-2-1734.thumb.png.338fe1ff000dc64cfceb669e9c2dd4b6.png cfs-2-2118.thumb.png.b1bf0103d75d08f895113abbe0e617ee.png cfs-2-1998.thumb.png.86dee6f7e6c012b227f4308ea801cf69.png 

How much would you bet against this with the wonky weather we get these days?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Get the lamppost watching going in the early hours!
Then yer shorts back out on Sunday! ?

60516FB5-F1EA-4FC3-8429-CFF11FE4A357.thumb.png.1b970ef070dc7d0d45ecae48efd84c38.png

What a great climate that would be to live in - one extreme to the other! 

Been a week of odd weather really! Sunny and low 20's at the weekend, heavy rain for 3 days which has led to flooding in some areas (apparently a months rain in 3 days!) and now snow!

(And I still don't like country music)!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

How much would you bet against this with the wonky weather we get these days?

I'll take 4th April 2018 again in a heartbeat! One of the better snow events in a really great winter!

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Morning all

Glorious start to the day! The calm before the severe gales, rain, sleet, snow, thunderstorms, squall lines and all sorts arrive tomorrow afternoon through Wednesday morning.

843E2AF4-D93B-4BB2-A08B-97590BE7BAA0.thumb.jpeg.1889e2654c3865f04d093623efcff62d.jpeg

Have a good Friday! 

If the 00z GFS is correct then peak gusts will be 60-65mph.

• Like 3

Bitter this morning.. Hands freezing as I type this and dog saying hurry the duck up. The cool before the storm hoping not a damp squib here. 

20200207_082122.jpg

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If the 00z GFS is correct then peak gusts will be 60-65mph.

Indeed! Quite a snowy run for Scotland as well - would definitely bank that run! ?

I am quite sheltered from a S/SSW wind so I won’t really feel the force of the predicted 60mph gusts (IMBY) tomorrow late afternoon/early evening. (I would need to walk 40 minutes down the road to experience the max winds - which I may do if there is still plenty of light out when the peak gusts arrive!)

Once Storm Ciara arrives Sunday the wind will shift to SW/WSW/W which is a better direction for the wind to hit me here. (Max gusts only about 55/60mph) It looks as though down South will see stronger gusts than most of us.

Monday/Tuesday brings gusts from the WSW/W reaching 50mph. (Quite the event for prolonged strong winds)

I have actually bored myself talking about wind directions now! ?

Anyways lots going on over the next few days for many of us - should be some tasty gusts and some huge wintry showers about! Plus if you live over 150/200 meters it’s game on for some settling snow! 

Great outlook if you love a bit of wild weather! ?

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Some really good photos in here again! Easily the best regional thread?

The meto are updating warnings, for the snow they are now mentioning more than 20cm of snow for the highest routes by the end of Tuesday - i'd be shocked if that isn't an amber warning for the M74 corridor later on Monday and into Tuesday as that'll be carnage with the strong winds. The only reason I'm guessing they haven't is that its still a few days away and reliant on showers training on the same areas. 

Some of the models going for more than 50 cm of snow for the highest areas...

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 7
9 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Some really good photos in here again! Easily the best regional thread?

The meto are updating warnings, for the snow they are now mentioning more than 20cm of snow for the highest routes by the end of Tuesday - i'd be shocked if that isn't an amber warning for the M74 corridor later on Monday and into Tuesday as that'll be carnage with the strong winds. The only reason I'm guessing they haven't is that its still a few days away and reliant on showers training on the same areas. 

Some of the models going for more than 50 cm of snow for the highest areas...

Yello warning - Heavy snow and strong winds will combine to lead to disruption to travel , especially over higher routes. all of Monday and Tuesday 

"Update to increase likelihood of impacts and to prolong the warning period until the end of Tuesday. Amounts of snow increased." MO  

feb06snowwarnmo.jpg

• Like 8