Norrance

Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

I can only recall seeing nacreous clouds once in Scotland over NE Fife about 12 to 15 years ago. Took some photos but no idea where they are now.

Today took a walk down by the river with a view of taking photos of the Sunset but camera died before I got to the view point. Managed one from the bird spotting area before that happened. Quite comfy walking down there in shorts despite this being supposedly the coldest part of the year.

D6D53833-A371-42D9-B2F6-37E883472CA2.jpeg

Another mild, sunny day. Cloud cover increased late afternoon with some ground fog developing.

@Ravelin not seen any honey bees around, hope yours keep safe. Some of the bumble variety have been spotted out and about locally. A few little ‘clouds’ of annoying midges have hatched in the garden over the past few days and are keen on homing in on my face and neck.

@Northernlights Still very soggy underfoot here.  I noticed neeps were being lifted manually here a couple of days ago, maybe in respect of an increased demand for Burn’s night suppers?

@Norrance @General Cluster some of the Scotland / UK previous nacreous cloud sightings 

Nacreous clouds (1)

30CFBB0D00000578-0-image-a-124_145442495
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

It is thought that recent storms may have increased the chances of the clouds forming over the UK, particularly in Scotland, by driving...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/84961-nacreous-clouds/&ved=2ahUKEwj1rP366pfnAhVQQkEAHSnMDKkQFjAKegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw3lliAVoE-jHNx2tUiBfMDP

Right it's 9c above freezing and I've just followed a grittier that was spreading on the road from largue to Rothienorman. I'm not the brightest in the world but what the f**k is that all about..🤪🤪🤪🤪

It was so mild today I took the motorbike into work today. Not out of the ordinary for January but it doesn’t happen often. 

After years of relying on my phone camera I’ve decided to bite the bullet and buy a proper camera. Panasonic Lumix FZ330 Bridge Camera. Slightly older model but seems like a solid camera. Will do everything I need. Means I will be inflicting more photos on you all. Sorry!😬

It is my 18th wedding anniversary this weekend and my wife booked us a 3 night break at a lodge overlooking Loch Lomond so I will have a great place to find my way around the camera. Booked so far in advance that she & I didn’t know that it now coincides with the busiest weekend of the year work wise so far...😂

2 hours ago, ciel said:

Another mild, sunny day. Cloud cover increased late afternoon with some ground fog developing.

@Ravelin not seen any honey bees around, hope yours keep safe. Some of the bumble variety have been spotted out and about locally. A few little ‘clouds’ of annoying midges have hatched in the garden over the past few days and are keen on homing in on my face and neck.

@Northernlights Still very soggy underfoot here.  I noticed neeps were being lifted manually here a couple of days ago, maybe in respect of an increased demand for Burn’s night suppers?

Ground is slowly  drying out here too.We are trying to eat out the wettest areas of the neep field with the cows and leaving the driest area to harvest mechanically. Have a friend from college days in your neck of the woods and he said at Christmas they had done very little winter ploughing as ground so wet. Very mild day again here sheep shifted to fresh field with a  couple of inches of new growth. Currently 9c

2013 brought decent snowfalls to parts of Scotland particularly in January and March. The higher parts of Dundee had similar depths to Nov/December 2010 in January 2013 and the snow was quite widespread. Here is Kenmore post office 7 years ago  today. By late evening when thesnow died out that area had over 45cms.

12D8D0FC-BB33-4091-9594-A56012E8FAFD.jpeg

Edited by Norrance

Another grey day. Cloudy, occasional drizzle, no wind and feeling very mild. Thick fog now. Don't even have the fire on tonight. 

I'd just settle for some interesting weather. Doesn't even have to be cold!

This came up on my Facebook memories from 2 years ago.

IMG_3645.thumb.JPG.3126bade0869fe32697523e17c66150c.JPG

<yawns>

aome sefkjwef dkjnd kdrgoo 

s41t I fell asleep looking out the window at endless grey krapness again <YAWN>

Interesting/depressing of how winter is going that Aboyne reached 15c and many places managed 12/13c. Orlando, Florida has only made it as high as 12c by 7pm their time...

5 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Interesting/depressing of how winter is going that Aboyne reached 15c and many places managed 12/13c. Orlando, Florida has only made it as high as 12c by 7pm their time...

it's all a plot to deprive us of our rightful share or zzzzzzzz  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fkn americans stealing our slightly lower temps. string em up.

<bedtime>

No. 80llox. They're fkn colder than us. Fk em. Wot??? In Florida? W T F ???? is going on?

Edited by Hairy Celt

1 hour ago, JamesM said:

Another grey day. Cloudy, occasional drizzle, no wind and feeling very mild. Thick fog now. Don't even have the fire on tonight. 

I'd just settle for some interesting weather. Doesn't even have to be cold!

This came up on my Facebook memories from 2 years ago.

IMG_3645.thumb.JPG.3126bade0869fe32697523e17c66150c.JPG

Yes there was a cold snowy spell around this time 2 years ago.. and to a lesser extent this time last year. Still a slight chance early next week could deliver some lowland snow to scotland. 

Let's hope the GFS is just having a wee moment, although the 18z had a similar low off the top of Scotland so maybe it's onto something?

473310452_Screenshot_20200123-050209_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.058bc2fc8edabc5f76424e0502181541.jpg

2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Let's hope the GFS is just having a wee moment, although the 18z had a similar low off the top of Scotland so maybe it's onto something?

473310452_Screenshot_20200123-050209_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.058bc2fc8edabc5f76424e0502181541.jpg

Interestingly the GFS goes from this:

1417149893_Screenshot_20200123-075155_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.71c441625b2c81bcf38423c1fac433f0.jpg

to the previous in a short period of time and the +120hrs FAX chart from last night is really not too far off the GFS before it bombs:

299992928_Screenshot_20200123-075257_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.893e9d2a3f392359026b12ca7d79a4bf.jpg

And Lo! The murk descendeth. Again. So damned boring. At least the drizzle went off long enough yesterday afternoon to let me wash the car. Doesn't get much more exciting than that. No fire on in the sitting room since weekend, I just have the stove on in the kitchen and leave the door open and it's still cosy! So, are we ever going to see winter? 🔥⛄

4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

This could also be interesting. US style blizzard? 

120-779UK.gif

Sun's out shocker but it did this roughly about same time yesterday it didn't last long

Impressive drop in temperature last night - was 9c at 11pm but dropped to just below -2c by 7am.

Another lovely sunny day with very light winds but max temperature good bit lower than yesterday at 8.9c.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.... Just had to post:

Screenshot_20200123-175348.png

12 minutes ago, shuggee said:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.... Just had to post:

Oohh, ooh, oooooohhh, first predicted snowflake of the season for me. 

Screenshot_20200123-180444.png