Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Forgot to mention the weather! It's bright sun but very windy. I don't care, at least it's stopped bloody raining. Now my plants can all get blown to bits instead of drooned. God I wish I lived in Provence...

We live in such a beautiful country, but the weather does really suck much of the time. Its probably why we're so obsessed with it. 

It's stopped raining here too. Windy and not much sign of the sun. We have friends coming over later for a BBQ, looks like it will be a cook outdoors but eat indoors affair. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

5 hours ago, mardatha said:

That's kind of you MS, he took a wee while but got better. Currently finding out though that he isn't as strong as he was; had to sell the bike and is struggling with grasscutting and digging the garden. So we're working round it, getting him a smaller lighter mower and he's told the neighbours he can't carry on doing all their grass. He's nearly 74, but the only other man in this street is 90 so he was helping them all with their gardens 😄

Thats good to hear he doing well.. shame about the other stuff tho.. who's gonna dig the snaw out this winter??

• Like 2

After a very wet night and early morning its dried out and the sun is actually trying to break through the clouds as I type. Very windy over night and that has continued today.

How long till we find out how much snaw we are all getting this winter?? Do i dare go into the mad house and ask?? Might be a bit early for that fun and games tho..😈😈

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Feeling pretty Autumnal today (though not quite snowy yet) with a strong gusty NW wind. Been mostly dry but only a couple of glimpses of the sun. Temp has crept up to 14.5C now but the wind still has an edge to it.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3

The sun is breaking through and the washing is out on the line, about the best I can say about today! 16c isn't what you'd expect on Deeside in late July 🤔

• Like 2

Better enjoy friday's heat it's a quick blink and you miss it affair still 1 not bad day out of 31 in July that something I suppose ;)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Cool showery day here with a maximum of 13c with  a fresh NW wind.        Have  always describe these kind of  days as Orkney weather. Just 2c on Cairngorm summit just now.

• Like 5

Just a quick thought what with all this covid lock down stuff and the 3 or 4 months that the climate has had a break from the rubbish human kind bung into the atmosphere etc... could it have an effect on the coming seasons?? Summer has definitely seemed cooler than the last few. Could the climate respond that quickly? No idea myself but interested to know if anybody else here has any thoughts on it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bigsnow said:

Just a quick thought what with all this covid lock down stuff and the 3 or 4 months that the climate has had a break from the rubbish human kind bung into the atmosphere etc... could it have an effect on the coming seasons?? Summer has definitely seemed cooler than the last few. Could the climate respond that quickly? No idea myself but interested to know if anybody else here has any thoughts on it.

Aurora Storm and I discussed this and we agreed that it might have some effect but probably not huge and would have to be  sustained to give a greater effect.I might be more inclined to think that we have still to see the lag effect of the low solar minimum and the coming winter may benefit from this if it is cold/snow you are after.  Add this to the extreme weather events  we see nowadays (Within the space of 10 years we had November/December 2010 and The Beast From The East both with lake effect snow off the North Sea) then some cold/snowy periods cannot be ruled out in upcoming winters of the next few years.

• Like 7

Kids asked to go home early from the park as they were freezing cold (even with two layers on).

Never thought I would see that happen in July!

Thermometer said max of 15c but with the strong and gusty Northerly wind, in reality it felt positively Baltic, even when the sun was out.

Disastrous day for the roses and sunflowers thanks to the wind, the former shedding petals everywhere and the latter's leaves shredded.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Much better day. 

Not much in the way of sunshine but dry and warmer at 16c. 

Feeling very pleasant thanks to the light wind.

Dragged the kids out to Leith Hall, always colourful at this time of year...

Snag_15a410d.thumb.png.0b1c620bcd3bba88a80c0564c165e473.png

Snag_15a7c32.thumb.png.602395b39c6c167b326c60f93cb58cb6.png

• Like 7

Strictly speaking this was in the far north of England as we were at Kielder but I'm sure a few of you will enjoy this:

116331306_1220254784989891_3404726184671
M.FACEBOOK.COM

This isn't weather related and I was over the border at Kielder but this wee cheeky bird was certainly singing for supper.

• Like 6

Wouldn't think we gonna get our one day heat blast tomorrow with how terrible it is outside atm breezy misty drizzly not very inspiring

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NUT said:

Wouldn't think we gonna get our one day heat blast tomorrow with how terrible it is outside atm breezy misty drizzly not very inspiring

My thoughts exactly, the sun poking out the cloud is a lie 😂

775122681_Screenshot_20200730-142517_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.38b43f95a8fabc8e0bf162c2fd7e69c6.jpg

Followed by this, possibly the hottest day of the year here:

458463667_Screenshot_20200730-143052_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.101f559b87473deb73c3b3f43bee3ea5.jpg

Followed by this on Saturday:

1605166791_Screenshot_20200730-143353_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6cd01378143dc16ac4833f8efe52fea6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Afternoon all!

Quite excited to see what the hottest temperature in Scotland will be tomorrow! 29C will probably be the maximum but would be lovely to see a 30C!

Moray area or Scottish Borders would be my bet - Kinloss or Jedburgh for example! 24C here,  Glasgow roughly 27C and Edinburgh 28C.

Threat of thunderstorms/downpours breaking out late afternoon/evening/overnight just about anywhere! 

UKV: Friday 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00

7CD5BE20-D398-4245-AA87-CE296E8506FF.thumb.png.207b15696fb4a82e9f06cd35320650b3.pngF421E2F4-ED8A-4093-A305-B89392FC1E7D.thumb.png.f6dddba16f1d6eb0e2a3ca7ba92ac81b.png9AF52AF9-6C4A-485F-86EC-F373C47027D9.thumb.png.657e725b1155e7cb6bfc210fcaae3b1c.png

18:00 and 20:00:

27CA44B9-CA91-449B-A4C3-3D3A04924B4C.thumb.png.f85a374541169cbdad3565a0d35a1121.png2DCF9E4F-6A91-4873-90A7-B1B4FC8B4AED.thumb.png.d4021a7a89915fc1b5bd54f89ae5fe2f.png

Nice way to bow out of July - 90% of the month here (IMBY) has been cool/wet!

Really hope that August brings a prolonged heatwave/convective weather or a sunny/settled week in the high teens/low twenties! If not...just bring on Winter 2020/21 already. :santa-emoji::snowman-emoji:

Have a good weekend everyone and enjoy tomorrow’s glorious weather! 

Edit: I like the look of this @Kirkcaldy Weather 😃 - nothing too exciting though!

... N France, Benelux, W-Germany, Scotland, UK and parts of the North Sea ...

Interaction of a large-scale upper trough over far NW Europe with a N ward fanning MUCAPE plume results in enhanced thunderstorm probabilities over an extensive area with ongoing model discrepancies. Best chances for scattered and elevated nocturnal activity should arise where synoptic-scale lift will be the strongest, e.g. over Scotland and along the E-coast of UK/offshore. Nothing severe is forecast.

F112FBAC-C0FE-4BAC-8F9C-0C535C8DE08A.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Not exactly high Summer here today with a max of 14.8C in steady rain this afternoon. Quite a change tomorrow perhaps but here getting a high temperature will depend on whether there is much of an Easterly element is in the breeze. Looking ahead not quite so sure of the heat returning towards next weekend especially up here.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, bomdabass said:

Looking good for tail end of next week, possibly a dry settled spell from  Friday 7th August......fingers crossed!

image.thumb.png.375c1366a6907c55ae650340d20f4947.png

Please let that be the case, I'm on holiday for a fortnight from the 7th!

Tonight's dilemma...as a woman of a certain age, do I turn the heating off and put the fan on in my bedroom in anticipation of the temperature rising overnight?  It certainly can't be any colder tonight than it was last night.  I will be very glad to say goodbye to July 2020.

• Like 6

Overcast for the most part bar the drenching rain between 6 and 10pm.

Light winds and a max of 15c.

Looks like tomorrow will be the warmest day of the month, temperature has actually risen outside by 1c in the last hour and now at 14c so not far off the max of the day!

• Like 5
8 hours ago, bomdabass said:

Looking good for tail end of next week, possibly a dry settled spell from  Friday 7th August......fingers crossed!

image.thumb.png.375c1366a6907c55ae650340d20f4947.png

Bound to happen... schools go back, so Aug will be glorious. 

• Like 4

Rain cleared by 7pm to leave a nice end to the day but rather muggy, damp and plenty of midges about. So Friday short lived affair with it becoming hazy by mid afternoon. Cold Front to pass by evening but could bring cloud with some drizzle or become active will need to see. Poor July so it’s been and don’t think I’ve had anytime sitting outside. It’s not been a wash out but grey, cool with constant weather fronts passing through. Be great if we had a good spell in August where it was decent however I never hold much hope during August as it never delivers here and is more autumnal yet September is usually better.

• Like 4

Awake an hour before the alarm to make the most of the promised unbroken sunshine.....to be met with grey cloud that's still persisting over south side of Glasgow.

Worst heatwave ever ☹️

• Paul locked this topic