Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

3 hours ago, Quinach said:

Home schooling from Monday is going to be fun (honest) - impressed actually at how well the local school has been in getting things organised considering the short notice they got.

There were some very tired teachers by Friday evening. I'm relatively new at it but my wife has been doing it for much longer and she said today it's the most exhausted she's ever felt due to work. 

I think most/all schools are having staff meetings on Monday morning. Hopefully we'll get some clarity on how things are going to work going forward as it's severely lacking at the moment, understandably. 

On our trip to Ayrshire and back we were also surprised to see quite a few motorhomes on the road, and at least one caravan. The Caravan and Camping Club still have most sites open, but all thier facility blocks are closed so you'd need to use your on board facilities for pooping, peeing and washing. 

Weather across the country was bland today. Cool, dry but largely cloudy. Looks like a brief warm up coming mid week followed by a chilly weekend again. Rain likely to be rare. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

There is still nothing doing with the weather:

20200322_073408.thumb.jpg.02aacc37e8e48f7608c6b477110b3aa4.jpg20200322_073428.thumb.jpg.e5b40fefe5f3bebaaf4afd77cfd902ac.jpg

So here's Fergus playing chase, catch & return. He got it on the 2nd take. The 1st one he nosed into the hedge and I wasn't sure if he got it before it hit the ground:

Usually he manages it at greater distance but I was being careful while holding my phone.

• Like 6

-1.4°C overnight, so thirty fifth air frost. Lovely sunny start to the day - chickens seem happy. I'll be happy if tesco has some chicken left later. 

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, shuggee said:

-1.4°C overnight, so thirty fifth air frost. Lovely sunny start to the day - chickens seem happy. I'll be happy if tesco has some chicken left later. 

Must confess, I started salivating when I read this post. Chickens and loo roll are the new gold/gods.

Weather wise, its lovely. Sat outside, well wrapped up, cup of coffe in hand. Sunny with temperature around 5C.

Not a soul going about, a few cars and a cyclist is all I've seen in the last couple of hours. Hopefully it stays that way!

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Must confess, I started salivating when I read this post. Chickens and loo roll are the new gold/gods.

Weather wise, its lovely. Sat outside, well wrapped up, cup of coffe in hand. Sunny with temperature around 5C.

Not a soul going about, a few cars and a cyclist is all I've seen in the last couple of hours. Hopefully it stays that way!

I must be sitting on a gold mine. We managed to get 40 rolls of loo roll from an office cleaning supplies company and I've got a whole chicken & a pack of chicken in the freezer.

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 5

Another nice sunny day this is more like it...cold start though.

I saw this on the charts for next weekend...if it comes off that'll be a bitter wind.

Annotation 2020-03-22 111948.jpg

• Like 4

Another breezy cool  overcast day with a temperature of 7c   currently.

Mrs Northernlights was down early today in Sainsburys for her father and came back saying that they had most things but there was now a new isle that had been stripped. She aked me to guess and I got  it in two, now its the great booze stock up along with toilet rolls.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I must be sitting on a gold mine. We managed to get 40 rolls of loo roll from an office cleaning supplies company and I've got a whole chicken & a pack of chicken in the freezer.

Excellent.

Local co-op this morning 7am.

No milk, no loo rolls, not much veg, no blueberries (devastated). 

I did manage to get Chicken....sort off. Chicken Cojouns.....they look a bit ropey and I'm considering leaving them out for the farm cats.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Role reversal here this morning. My daughter is home and wouldn't let us go to the shop so off she went at 8AM. Problem is she only picked up what was on my wife's shopping list and didn't think of things that we usually pick up automatically like milk, bread and rolls plus loo roll. When asked "it wasn't on the list". No problems with anything else though and she brought back chicken, mince and veg amongst other non food items. 
Back to clear and frosty here this morning. -0.5C min. Light breeze and pure sunshine.

Gorgeous photo of the NW Highlands taken from Lewis on the Western Isles weather page yesterday.

85132B74-F703-44CC-A27D-E3DE24D5BFB9.jpeg

That is a stunning picture?

• Like 2

Lots of hazy sunshine today but still feeling darned cold thanks to the brisk wind (max of 7c).

Surprised at the number of people out walking the local fields, incurring the wrath of the farmer going by the raised voices and language I was hearing!

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 3

Weather has been nice the past few days. Back to windy and wet from tomorrow, although still unclear just how far SE the fronts will push. At the moment next weekend is looking very bright as the winds turn from the north, but cold. Until then, damp, miserable and windy for us all. Hopefully it will put off people from going out. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Quinach said:

Lots of hazy sunshine today but still feeling darned cold thanks to the brisk wind (max of 7c).

Surprised at the number of people out walking the local fields, incurring the wrath of the farmer going by the raised voices and language I was hearing!

'Get orff moi dorrter!!!' in a broad west country accent?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

i know the majority of you will wake to blue skies and sunshine, but spare a thought for us poor peeps up in Skye! Currently cloudy with a brisk wind, no rain....yet! Temp is 8.1c but feels a lot colder. I have been promised good weather by the end of the week. We'll see! ?☀️? Oh, but what's this I see? A camper van in our local car park! I think the local vigilante group should be put on immediate alert! ? ??:bomb: I was looking for  a pitchfork and flaming torch emoji but couldn't find any. So you'll have to make do with some angry face, a camper van and a bomb. I'm sure you get the picture! ?

• Like 9

Skye sheep about to go home on the 1st of April and speaking to the farmer last night he said exactly the same about how wet its been in the winter.

Its been the same here up to the last week but this morning we have a gale force southerly wind and clouds of dust off the farm tracks. Very unpleasant outside.

The Laigh of Moray dust storms will soon be back.

Currently dry overcast and 6c

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Skye sheep about to go home on the 1st of April and speaking to the farmer last night he said exactly the same about how wet its been in the winter.

Its been the same here up to the last week but this morning we have a gale force southerly wind and clouds of dust off the farm tracks. Very unpleasant outside.

The Laigh of Moray dust storms will soon be back.

Currently dry overcast and 6c

We often mirror you with the ground conditions NL, we've gone from washout to dusty quite quickly with the persistent breeze and lack of rain for a week.

Lovely morning though:

20200323_072315.thumb.jpg.e81ca215c1538a85d226ee0252d459c9.jpg20200323_080121.thumb.jpg.9bc383e6aa95802e3c7fa66d1f448d10.jpg

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

'Get orff moi dorrter!!!' in a broad west country accent?

More a bunch of f words in doric...

Overcast and cool outside (5c) with light winds.

Kids doing their PE lesson sent from the school just now, much to their annoyance "but we're supposed to be on holiday"!

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 2

Very windy travelling up to Caithness this morning. Lots of fields being ploughed and dust blowing. Not very pleasant out.

Glad to see some campervans heading south now, back to where they belong.

Sturgeon says building sites 'should' close - so when's this going to happen, after x thousand more notional infections? Pitchforks will be out when the dust settles on this, I tell you.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Very windy travelling up to Caithness this morning. Lots of fields being ploughed and dust blowing. Not very pleasant out.

Glad to see some campervans heading south now, back to where they belong.

Sturgeon says building sites 'should' close - so when's this going to happen, after x thousand more notional infections? Pitchforks will be out when the dust settles on this, I tell you.

Plenty of spare pitchforks with Salmond being cleared.

• Like 3