Scotland /Alba weather discussion 2020

12 minutes ago, ciel said:

The squall line has just passed through here too, followed by a quite sudden noticeable drop in the wind speed, and a patch of blue sky.  More rain on the horizon though.

Yep. We didn't get much of a squall here but the wind dropped very suddenly as the line passed. Weirdly quiet outside now.

It was 9.7C an hour ago but it's dropped to 8.6C now.

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 4
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more pics from this morning in the Lomond Hills. Just the most sublime colours at sunrise. We had 12cm this morning, sunny all day except for a slight freshening up in the afternoon, now -0.7C an

Standing an impressive 5ft 5in tall - the kids have done well with limited resources ?

The snow still hasn't come to anything beyond a slushy mess at the house so we went to the snow. At the small car park at the top of Glen Ogle it was proper snow with a few inches on the ground. By th

Posted Images

What a wash out...well at least it'll keep the stoor doon.

I had peek over in the suicide watch thread and saw this, if this were a summer chart it would be roasting, incredible that there has been so much dominant high pressure to the south of the UK this winter it just keeps reforming, it wouldn't be so bad if it was a cold high pressure but those southern wind directions are looking like double figures again.

It would seem the models have real trouble with cold but mild predictions somehow turn out correct...some reprogramming of the Sinclair Spectrum Climate Model required I think.

Annotation 2020-01-11 113221.jpg

• Like 4

After a bit of a drier interlude during the first half of the night but the rain really has set in through this morning.

The squall line went through here about 10.30 and the wind has calmed down completely since then.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Klippie said:

What a wash out...well at least it'll keep the stoor doon.

I had peek over in the suicide watch thread and saw this, if this were a summer chart it would be roasting, incredible that there has been so much dominant high pressure to the south of the UK this winter it just keeps reforming, it wouldn't be so bad if it was a cold high pressure but those southern wind directions are looking like double figures again.

It would seem the models have real trouble with cold but mild predictions somehow turn out correct...some reprogramming of the Sinclair Spectrum Climate Model required I think.

Annotation 2020-01-11 113221.jpg

Mea culpa!:oldgrin:

Nowt stoory down here yet...still a few months before the barchans start to invade?:80:

• Like 2

www.snow-forecast.com see some impressive snow accumulations next week for Nevis and Glencoe ski centres - mid/upper mountain. Cairngorm, Lecht and Glenshee look like missing out this time. 

The ski centres are currently free of natural snow, by Friday the webcams could be showing a significant change.

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Serac said:

Meti Office Amber Warning

Affecting ; Scotland (North, South,West,East)

Warning for Meh

Valid From : Start of Winter to ...... 

- Members of the weather enthusiast community should prepare for continued complete and utter weather boredom

Chief Forecasters Assessment

”Combination of solar minimum, MJO, IOD, +NAO & WTF are expected to lead to the square root of hee haw. Members of the public are advised to seek immediate shelter from the resultant country wide weather blandness”

????

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Yes I am clutching and any straw will do ??

Screenshot_20200111-161527.thumb.png.2e7b8f35b3f9c28baae0819accb3b735.png

And mine for comparison:

Screenshot_20200111-174350.png

Been showing this consistently for a few days..... But looking at GFS there's a lot of heavy ppn within uppers no colder than -3°C until sunset then -4s and -5s reappear. Of interest at least! 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Which weather app is that? It's my birthday on 14th and I don't live a million miles from you maybe I've got a snowflake too. 

It's chucking it down here, the cats are so fed up one of them's thinking of trying to log on and book a holiday somewhere dryer. 

DSC_1032.JPG

It's XC Weather - total cobblers and strictly just for shits and giggles ??

WWW.XCWEATHER.CO.UK

In all my years of snow chasing I don't think it's ever verified ??

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, shuggee said:

And mine for comparison:

Screenshot_20200111-174350.png

Been showing this consistently for a few days..... But looking at GFS there's a lot of heavy ppn within uppers no colder than -3°C until sunset then -4s and -5s reappear. Of interest at least! 

Awww if we're playing a game of show me yours and I'll show you mine:

1119376149_Screenshot_20200111-180521_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.055ca6cc62e14eb55f3a192dc3e10dcb.jpg

I'm empty handed.....

• Like 3

Ditto above a very wet day after a very mild windy night .Water flowing down every field. Turning into a very long winter starting in late October with such terrible ground conditions.  Cooling down again currently 5c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

Am I really the only person on this thread who does not crave ten foot drifts?

I do (very occasionally) feel a wee bit guilty about this as I know many enjoy snow-sports and the ski centres are so reliant on decent snow falls for their existence. 

I also wonder about the mountain hares and whether they have fully donned their white coats this year. If they have, to add to their troubles, without white hills they will be more vulnerable to predation.....and the ptarmigans.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's 100% GFS data.

Isn't that NW forecasting too?  Always shows wipe out whiteout weather a week ahead but can't even tell you whether it's going to rain overnight.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Euro4 on the case too...

1194190251_Screenshot_20200111-205710_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.737df00400be6952ff8466124bbf32aa.jpg

Now.....when Euro4 starts showing stuff within a reliable(ish) timeframe I start paying slightly more attention!

• Like 1