Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 01/01/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Dry and mostly sunny all day. Reached 9.7°C, currently 8.7°C and rising slowly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

I noticed that before today I hadn’t reached double digits since the 16th

Posted
34 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It got to 11°C today.

Last time it got to double digits for me was on 26th... lol

16 days of 10+

Got to 10.9 here but yesterday only 5°C probably around 12°C tomorrow!

Posted

Back to normal, drizzle, and mild with the temperature 8.9°C  flat lined almost all night. Channel radar shows some inbound rainfall...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Good morning, a damp, dull and drizzly start as normal service resumes. The low was 6.9°C just after midnight, we are currently on the 7.6°C we have been rather consistently stuck on all night.

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted

Maybe drizzle on and off 'they' said yesterday's late night forecast. Hmm...

It's raining, moderate rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Getting a few glimmers of sunshine, and it feels warm! 

Posted

Rather overcast here but the sun is 'trying' at times to get through. 11.0°C!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Back to the dull weather we’ve been used to this winter. Cloudy all day with drizzle at times. 10.4°C

Posted

11.2°C seems to have been the high, falling now and it's drizzly once again. 10.7°C

Posted

Drizzle and thick sea mist for most of the day whilst warm, currently 10.8°C, it really is another of those yuk days. Come on April, sun and showers, let's time warp forward two months..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

A lovely sunset tonight I really miss sunlight 

IMG_20200130_184201_838.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Shockingly mild, dry at least not changed location in profile but on 3 day trip to Kent, currently in Margate

Meant to post in SE thread oòps

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
Wrong thread

Posted
2 hours ago, Rich_Clements said:

A lovely sunset tonight I really miss sunlight 

IMG_20200130_184201_838.jpg

Lucky you! It was a solid grey here.

Currently 8.9°C

Posted

Horrid drizzle and misty day with grey being the main theme. Max for today was 11.2°C.

This winter continues to both anger and amaze me. I'm a lover of cold winters and nice dry summers, but being in the UK, you can never expect that! (maybe the dry summers lately!). But having recently graduated university for the second time after completing my master's, my dissertation concerned the changing climate of Southern England... main theme? Longer periods of certain weather types over the past 10 years. Longer dry periods (Summer 2018), longer extremes (2013/14 winter) and later colder weather (March 2013, February 2018).

This winter has been frustrating climate wise, pieces of the puzzle were there but we never got close enough to deliver colder solutions. Europe and North America are in the same boat, I've got a close friend living in Stockholm, Sweden saying they've only seen 2 dustings so far... Incredible. 

I'm 27 years old and never not seen snowfall at some point here and I've lived in the South my whole life.

But my question to members here in the South, can you remember a winter without any snowfall (not even a Snowflake) falling at all here?

Edited by Dean E

Posted

Morning All, another flat lined night with the overnight temperatures hardly moving, currently 9.0° and mist in the area. Radar showing rain in the SW approaches..

Posted

The overnight low was 7.2°C so a mild night. This morning, it is rather grey and drizzly out there. 8.4°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

A year ago today this started falling, snowed for over 24 hours. Oh god it was heavenly. 

Currently still waiting for autumn to end this year... Statistically, February is the month when it's most likely to snow here, as it's a leap year that's a whole 29 days of hope and wishful thinking

51056005_10216417989095208_3318479899701805056_o.jpg

51211681_10216417990135234_308385330526945280_o.jpg

Edited by jethro
  • Like 5

Posted

Oh yes. How I felt spoiled, the 3rd appreciative snowfall for here in the space of a year.

IMG_0406.thumb.JPG.a047212c5c4df9b8f616e7bc1168c210.JPGIMG_0486.thumb.JPG.22fc33b1fff2e6d50459826de08b150f.JPGIMG_0522.thumb.JPG.f379f95cdc853c0be238303ca609e6e3.JPG

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.82a05fc94c8c5bc6482e97ccccf2364b.JPGIMG_0581.thumb.JPG.6bd82c2938aad27defa448544f558d82.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

The earlier patchy mist disappeared as the wind has been increasing all morning (well so far anyway), with drizzle / light rain a short while ago, setting the theme for the day maybe?

Posted
10 hours ago, Dean E said:

Horrid drizzle and misty day with grey being the main theme. Max for today was 11.2°C.

This winter continues to both anger and amaze me. I'm a lover of cold winters and nice dry summers, but being in the UK, you can never expect that! (maybe the dry summers lately!). But having recently graduated university for the second time after completing my master's, my dissertation concerned the changing climate of Southern England... main theme? Longer periods of certain weather types over the past 10 years. Longer dry periods (Summer 2018), longer extremes (2013/14 winter) and later colder weather (March 2013, February 2018).

This winter has been frustrating climate wise, pieces of the puzzle were there but we never got close enough to deliver colder solutions. Europe and North America are in the same boat, I've got a close friend living in Stockholm, Sweden saying they've only seen 2 dustings so far... Incredible. 

I'm 27 years old and never not seen snowfall at some point here and I've lived in the South my whole life.

But my question to members here in the South, can you remember a winter without any snowfall (not even a Snowflake) falling at all here?

That sounds like a really interesting dissertation. Would love to read your research! 

Such a shame it’s so often the boring weather patterns that get stuck in a rut. It’s as if our climate is trying to become less extreme.

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, MP-R said:

That sounds like a really interesting dissertation. Would love to read your research! 

Such a shame it’s so often the boring weather patterns that get stuck in a rut. It’s as if our climate is trying to become less extreme.

Thank you! I will share it at some point for anyone who is interested.

Yeah definitely agree, the Atlantic appears to be very quiet over the past few years with storm activity, or they avoid us and move either North or South because of a blocked pattern out East. I'd even take a few storms right now, as 2019/20 winter has thus far been a bit 'meh'.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Dean E said:

Thank you! I will share it at some point for anyone who is interested.

Yeah definitely agree, the Atlantic appears to be very quiet over the past few years with storm activity, or they avoid us and move either North or South because of a blocked pattern out East. I'd even take a few storms right now, as 2019/20 winter has thus far been a bit 'meh'.

March quite often blows any Jan/Feb gales out of the water so if we're to continue this Atlantic rut into spring, that may be our best chance of 'interesting' stormy weather. Although, I'm sure by then, many will be sick to the back teeth of the Atlantic. Some notable March gales from yesteryear:

gfs-2019030312-0-6.png gfs-2019031000-0-6.png archives-2016-3-28-12-0.png archives-2015-3-2-12-0.png archives-2015-3-31-0-0.png archives-2009-3-8-12-0.png archives-2008-3-10-0-0.png archives-2007-3-6-0-0.png archives-2004-3-20-12-0.png

Maybe even an April gale, like this one in 1994 - looks like a scene right out of early December!

archives-1994-4-1-12-0.png

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

March quite often blows any Jan/Feb gales out of the water so if we're to continue this Atlantic rut into spring, that may be our best chance of 'interesting' stormy weather. Although, I'm sure by then, many will be sick to the back teeth of the Atlantic. Some notable March gales from yesteryear:

gfs-2019030312-0-6.png gfs-2019031000-0-6.png archives-2016-3-28-12-0.png archives-2015-3-2-12-0.png archives-2015-3-31-0-0.png archives-2009-3-8-12-0.png archives-2008-3-10-0-0.png archives-2007-3-6-0-0.png archives-2004-3-20-12-0.png

Maybe even an April gale, like this one in 1994 - looks like a scene right out of early December!

archives-1994-4-1-12-0.png

Right now, I'll take any weather that is better than what we've got now. At least with a zonal flow, there's dry and sunnier periods!