Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Crapuweather strikes again! Their seasonal forecasts are absolutely terrible, last summers one was awful as well. It’s been unsettled here for sure, but stormy? We’ve only had 2 named storms....well down on previous winters. The rest of it is cack too. Best to ignore it really.

Totally useless...Together with Inexactaweather and Weatheraction, my box marked vox testiculi is overflowing!:ninja:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all Yesterday was one of my favourite Meteorological Winter days of all time - no snowfall but -4c to start the day with a lovely sunrise, frost stayed on the ground at sea level all day,

One of the cold persuasion waiting for snow

You could apply that to gale lovers, why would you want a potentially destructive storm causing death, damage, disruption? You could apply that to thunderstorm lovers, why would you want a severe

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Is the extreme high pressure having an influence on the rise in temps currently occurring in the SE where I am the frost  that developed from 7pm has melted and temps now up to 2c?!

20200119_230414.jpg

dew points appear  on the rise..

@more moisture  to add..

still -1 here  hard frost and slightly  murky /misty! !!

tx12.png

pointrosee.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

dew points appear  on the rise..

@more moisture  to add..

still -1 here  hard frost and slightly  murky /misty! !!

tx12.png

pointrosee.png

Thanks for that pal I did wonder if the Dew points were on the up hopefully they drop again having told everyone at work it's going to be the coldest night of the winter so far and to get the ice melt out!

• Like 2

A lovely couple of days at last.

Kind of funny though, record breaking pressure here at 1050.1hPa, heading for the coldest night of the winter so far, but it has still managed to turn cloudy!

Edited by Evening thunder

I'm struggling to remember a year where this 'cold locked-in' pattern was so persistent and wide ranging in that so many mid latitude area's (including USA, North West Europe & Russia) are having above average temperatures and very little in the way of proper wintry weather?  

• Like 1

It will break though this mild pattern for the majority of the NH more than likely just in time for spring as usual. 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Just got to accept it isn't happening this time round.

My fear is northern blocking is now becoming restricted to spring and summer ..and non existent in Autumn and winter.

If this is related to GW its just about the worst outcome for people like myself who enjoy seasonal weather.

• Like 2

Problem with GW is that U.K. has always been marginal for snow at low levels,so any slight increase in the annual temperature  due to GWwould impact the chances of snow at lower levels,and this is what is happening sad to say.

Doesnt effect countries like  Canada for example ,wehere the temp in winter is so cold that even the rise in temps there  over the decades of over 1.5c make no difference to getting snow or not.

Will soon have to fly abroad to see decent snow ,which is never the same,but no other option sadly.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

Problem with GW is that U.K. has always been marginal for snow at low levels,so any slight increase in the annual temperature  due to GWwould impact the chances of snow at lower levels,and this is what is happening sad to say.

Doesnt effect countries like  Canada for example ,wehere the temp in winter is so cold that even the rise in temps there  over the decades of over 1.5c make no difference to getting snow or not.

Will soon have to fly abroad to see decent snow ,which is never the same,but no other option sadly.

Ironically places like Newfoundland which is experiencing some massive snowstorms will likely benefit from the strong winter PV.

• Like 2

Stick a fork in this ‘winter’ it’s done..

Yep I’m calling it. 

If I’m wrong, then everyone here can rip me to shreds and I’ll take it on the chin.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Ironically places like Newfoundland which is experiencing some massive snowstorms will likely benefit from the strong winter PV.

Just reading up on that. Amazing scenes, upto 3 ft in places, and all we ask here is maybe a couple of inches, lol. 

They get blizzards like Jan 1881 every winter there,a snow lovers paradise. 

Surely this wretched pattern will break soon... 

Edited by SLEETY
11 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

Stick a fork in this ‘winter’ it’s done..

Yep I’m calling it. 

If I’m wrong, then everyone here can rip me to shreds and I’ll take it on the chin.

Of course, I called Jan as a dead duck weeks ago, i held out hope for Feb but the first of Feb now looks a complete write off.

The most wretched winter i can ever recall and i'm not far off 50 now.

One of the decreasing number of straws we have left to clutch is AMO ,we are due to see a switch in the next decade, or so i believe.

• Like 1

I'd never write anything more than a couple of weeks ahead off, as things can and do change quickly. It doesn't look at this stage like February will deliver much.....we can but hope though.

1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

I'd never write anything more than a couple of weeks ahead off, as things can and do change quickly. It doesn't look at this stage like February will deliver much.....we can but hope though.

Normally i would totally agree,however,

I think we can safely write off the next 3 to 4 weeks personally , but we live in hope.

22 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The most wretched winter i can ever recall and i'm not far off 50 now.

2013/14 was worse...that was a no hoper completely thanks to a raging polar vortex particularly in Jan/feb, flooding, many grey days with the odd frost.

1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Just got to accept it isn't happening this time round.

My fear is northern blocking is now becoming restricted to spring and summer ..and non existent in Autumn and winter.

If this is related to GW its just about the worst outcome for people like myself who enjoy seasonal weather.

But we haven't seen strong northern blocking in recent springs and summers! In fact, the last 2 years have produced some of the best summer weather I can remember for a long time. 

This winter for many has been excellent; lack of frosts and ice, meaning less hazardous driving conditions. Milder air meaning the central heating has not been on as much and being able to go on very pleasant long walks without feeling chilled to the bone. 

I for one hope that this is a continuation of a warming trend that makes our climate far more enjoyable; warmer summers, milder winters. Let's see if the Euro high can stick around for the next 6 weeks and it really will be a classic winter to remember! ?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

2013/14 was worse...that was a no hoper completely thanks to a raging polar vortex particularly in Jan/feb, flooding, many grey days with the odd frost.

That was indeed a worse winter but was also generally a sunny winter, much sunnier than January up to this point.

Apparently spring is forecast  to have similar pattern, can't see that myself. 

That would be six months in a row of strong polar vortex and those blasted heights in the South dominating our weather. 

Least its dry and sunny today, let's go and enjoy it and play some golf. 

And prey to the weather gods for a change in this diabolical pattern. 

PLEASE?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

Which is why I've taken the decision to spend a fortnight each winter high up in the Alps; 2.000 meters ASL should do. 

I've found a nice place in Queyras where I'm heading for in February to find a decent accommodation for the future.

• Like 1
On 18/01/2020 at 21:33, AderynCoch said:

You should have told me you were coming. ?

It's been snowing here since about 4pm today but there's only 1-2cm so far because the flakes are light. It will be interesting to see if it can keep sticking tomorrow because it's supposed to last all day.

Also interesting to see only Bratislava in Slovakia under a snow warning. Don't see that very often.

blank.thumb.png.e63dcf338332c49baef86f0fd704861a.png

Sorry for the late reply, cant believe I missed 2 cm of snow by hours!!   Anyway what a fantastic city you live in, feels totally safe, the people are lovely and no gangsters anywhere.  I dont know why I still live in London, the total opposite!!

31 minutes ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

But we haven't seen strong northern blocking in recent springs and summers! In fact, the last 2 years have produced some of the best summer weather I can remember for a long time. 

This winter for many has been excellent; lack of frosts and ice, meaning less hazardous driving conditions. Milder air meaning the central heating has not been on as much and being able to go on very pleasant long walks without feeling chilled to the bone. 

I for one hope that this is a continuation of a warming trend that makes our climate far more enjoyable; warmer summers, milder winters. Let's see if the Euro high can stick around for the next 6 weeks and it really will be a classic winter to remember! ?

There was plenty of northern blocking last summer which eventually caught up with us and the vast majority of Augusts have been poor for as long back as i can remember.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Nath said:

Sorry for the late reply, cant believe I missed 2 cm of snow by hours!!   Anyway what a fantastic city you live in, feels totally safe, the people are lovely and no gangsters anywhere.  I dont know why I still live in London, the total opposite!!

Not been to Bratislava in about 25 years, nice place. But did you say you were robbed there in an earlier post?