Summer Sun

Winter 2019/20 | Moans, Ramps & Chat

10 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

This crops up every year and tickles me pink!

i live so far south, that I can almost dip my toes in the sea from my garden.

march 2018, from memory 18th/19th so hardly early March either..

F9F28AD5-6D8C-4FD6-8EBA-885BD3A3E6F8.thumb.jpeg.a2b2b926c7bf748a217133932ce42c68.jpeg5DE6DC38-25B7-4938-8301-05089460E7F6.thumb.jpeg.51bc3013a0aeb7ef9c7a59931b4b640d.jpeg22DD4BF9-971D-441A-ABA6-FCCA630F0637.thumb.jpeg.05b440c8479350f865e1e7dbb3deb331.jpeg
snow can stick in March 🙄

We had quite a lot of unexpected snow in Clacton on 2nd March with storm Emma - the warnings were very much centred on the west of the UK but the frontal system was much more active in the east than expected.  The snow was powdery and drifted quite a lot causing travel chaos.  There was about 4" of level snow by the end of the 2nd, with drifts up to a foot.  It hung around for several days too, despite the weather being sunny - temperatures struggled to get above freezing, even on the coast on the 3rd.

We had further snow around the 17th but it didn't last long.

So yeah, I'd be quite happy with another late Feb/early March cold episode if that's all that's available this season.

2 hours ago, acrossthechannel said:

To be honest Stodge, who wants to have winter in late February and March when there is next to no chance of snow sticking, when fruit trees are sure to be damaged by frost, etc

I'm a bit the same - even though we're told Feb/ March are better for cold/ snow; if we can't have it in Dec/ Jan then I'm almost not bothered about late season cold. The much vaunted BFTE wasn't particularly great were I live; a couple of inches, virtually gone by mid afternoon....

3 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

This crops up every year and tickles me pink!

i live so far south, that I can almost dip my toes in the sea from my garden.

march 2018, from memory 18th/19th so hardly early March either..

F9F28AD5-6D8C-4FD6-8EBA-885BD3A3E6F8.thumb.jpeg.a2b2b926c7bf748a217133932ce42c68.jpeg5DE6DC38-25B7-4938-8301-05089460E7F6.thumb.jpeg.51bc3013a0aeb7ef9c7a59931b4b640d.jpeg22DD4BF9-971D-441A-ABA6-FCCA630F0637.thumb.jpeg.05b440c8479350f865e1e7dbb3deb331.jpeg
snow can stick in March 🙄

Fabulous though it was, it (BFTE) was very unusual for southern England. Nowhere near the longevity potential of even a couple of weeks earlier.

If I was boring enough, I would post some stats to emphasise. 

5 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Eh?

1E0CBDD8-F67B-429F-85C7-A75DA6ED379F.png

image.thumb.png.1c7bb0a7d50b4f56876bfaf9f06ee24c.png

Notwithstanding my laughing emoji though, there is a serious point here - we are told that these warnings are necessary because older people can die from even modest cold, fine but then the met office bloke on twitter goes mental when people on social media are calling it a cold spell - they cannot have it both ways.

since November 1st I have had 2 days of snow falling each time appŕox 4cm snow fell. It is the worst winter I remember for snowfall here in Slovakia,we have plenty of inversion cold but thats it. No snow forecast for at least another 2 weeks with seasonals going for even milder February. Kudos to seasonal models, @Tamara and few others who didnt think blocking will be present,also Cohen did OK overseas. False signal caught many who believed jet stream would remain on southern trajectory in January which isnt the case,only trace precipitation here  in January so nothing managed go cross Euro high and will not do so until end of the month

36 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Has there ever been a more boring Winter? 

No, this is probably the quietest I’ve ever been on this forum, because from every angle this winter looked doomed until at least Jan & that’s progressed through January now.... so you can bet your bottom dollar, just as we want spring...... it’ll snow 😂

Edited by karlos1983

Current snow conditions for Cairngorm and Lecht ski centres.

20200117_124514.jpg

20200117_101109.jpg

Edited by Sceptical

38 minutes ago, jules216 said:

since November 1st I have had 2 days of snow falling each time appŕox 4cm snow fell. It is the worst winter I remember for snowfall here in Slovakia,we have plenty of inversion cold but thats it. No snow forecast for at least another 2 weeks with seasonals going for even milder February. Kudos to seasonal models, @Tamara and few others who didnt think blocking will be present,also Cohen did OK overseas. False signal caught many who believed jet stream would remain on southern trajectory in January which isnt the case,only trace precipitation here  in January so nothing managed go cross Euro high and will not do so until end of the month

give it another 10 years even Iceland will struggle for cold things are getting so bad.one euro Hp after another it seems now. model watching now is becoming pointless as most people would agree.as you can see from image its atrocious

gem-0-240.png

Edited by igloo

36 minutes ago, jules216 said:

There's been plenty of blocking, but unfortunately it has been in the worst place possible for cold weather for the UK and much of Europe.

Winters like this one remind you why the Euro high is called 'the slug'.

8 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

20200117_124514.jpg

20200117_101109.jpg

A few more winters like this and surely they are going to have to give up and be just club run tows like in the Lakes and Pennines?! That Lecht picture is pretty depressing! 

1 minute ago, reef said:

There's been plenty of blocking, but unfortunately it has been in the worst place possible for cold weather for the UK and much of Europe.

Winters like this one remind you why the Euro high is called 'the slug'.

Last year was a mediocre winter compared to average, but I was skating on frozen lake on the 20th of December, permanent snow cover between 5-10cm until early Feb. and at least 10 days of snowfall, it would still be classified as relatively mild and mediocre for our standards but compared to this year it was amazing. Inversion cold we got plenty but that is the worst type of weather you can imagine,very grey and temperatures between -6 and -2 forever. If you look at various skiing/biathlon world cup venues they are all slowness- Oberhof,Flachau,Innsbruck,Bormio,Ruhpolding etc etc. I have never seen this in my life in January through 30 years of following winter sports, commentators used to talk about meters of snow falling overnight before Kitzbuhel  downhill @carinthian would be able to verify 🙂

3 minutes ago, trickydicky said:

A few more winters like this and surely they are going to have to give up and be just club run tows like in the Lakes and Pennines?! That Lecht picture is pretty depressing! 

and it ain't even cold enough for artificial snow very sad state of affairs

1 hour ago, jules216 said:

Tbh its the form horse nowadays for mild winters so you'll be right way more than not if you forecast that to happen. 

Bleak. 

HELSINKI, Jan. 16 (Xinhua) -- Finland is experiencing the warmest winter in a hundred years, and the lakes in the southern part of the country may remain unfrozen for the first time in centuries, local media reported on Thursday.

Finnish meteorologist Kerttu Kotakorpi told national broadcaster Yle that across the country, the average temperature so far this January has been up to 10 degrees Celsius higher than normal, and that the latest forecasts show that the warm spell will continue.

Kotakorpi said that in Northern Ostrobothnia and Kainuu regions in northern Finland, the highest temperatures in a hundred years have been recorded in January.

The long-term average temperature in January at Kajaani Airport in the region of Kainuu was minus 11.3 degrees Celsius, but this year it is minus one degree Celsius. At Oulu Airport in Northern Ostrobothnia, the average temperature recorded in January was 0.4 degree Celsius, while the previous average temperature was minus 9.7 degrees Celsius.

As the result of the mild weather, the lakes in southern and western Finland, as well as in Ostrobothnia to the north, may not freeze over this winter for the first time on record, according to Johanna Korhonen, development manager at the Finnish Environment Institute.

Petteri Taalas, secretary-general of the World Meteorological Organization, pointed out in his recent newspaper column that climate change is noticeable through numerous measurements, and warming is progressing both in the air and in the sea.

Taalas warned that extreme weather will continue this year and the coming years, and the trend is accelerated by the record levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

He called for political action to tackle climate change, saying that politicians needed to create the framework to enable businesses and consumers to direct their money towards good solutions for the future.

19 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Last year was a mediocre winter compared to average, but I was skating on frozen lake on the 20th of December, permanent snow cover between 5-10cm until early Feb. and at least 10 days of snowfall, it would still be classified as relatively mild and mediocre for our standards but compared to this year it was amazing. Inversion cold we got plenty but that is the worst type of weather you can imagine,very grey and temperatures between -6 and -2 forever. If you look at various skiing/biathlon world cup venues they are all slowness- Oberhof,Flachau,Innsbruck,Bormio,Ruhpolding etc etc. I have never seen this in my life in January through 30 years of following winter sports, commentators used to talk about meters of snow falling overnight before Kitzbuhel  downhill @carinthian would be able to verify 🙂

I agree, inversion cold the worse. You just know it will not snow. At least the UK will get some variability despite the mildness. Most in the Great Europe plain have never seen such a snowless landscape for deep mid-winter ( just read the newspapers in Germany, Poland, low countries.) Even Stockholm Helsinki, Copenhagen and Helsinki mostly snowless so far.  This ranks as the worse ever regarding snow cover so far Lets hope February delivers.

C

Oh well, that’ll teach me for digging the sledge 🛷 out in November. I take full responsibility 😂

Edited by karlos1983

this evening's ECM at least gives us a 24h colder spell before the slug moves back in.will take it as we may get nothing else for the next 4weeks.after the last slug

ECM1-240.gif

ECM0-240.gif

1 hour ago, carinthian said:

I agree, inversion cold the worse. You just know it will not snow. At least the UK will get some variability despite the mildness. Most in the Great Europe plain have never seen such a snowless landscape for deep mid-winter ( just read the newspapers in Germany, Poland, low countries.) Even Stockholm Helsinki, Copenhagen and Helsinki mostly snowless so far.  This ranks as the worse ever regarding snow cover so far Lets hope February delivers.

C

It makes even the stretch of winters between 1989-1994 feel like a Little Ice age with comparison to this one @carinthian

1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

20200117_124514.jpg

20200117_101109.jpg

Shocking! 😥

2 hours ago, Donegal said:

Has there ever been a more boring Winter? 

Apart from the storms earlier in the week there's been nothing remotely interesting at all so far this winter.

50 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Oh well, that’ll teach me for digging the sledge 🛷 out in November. I take full responsibility 😂

I suppose all we can do is laugh Karlos.

I feel sorry for the kids TBH - my love of snow was nurtured from a young age, staring out the window fixated with the new landscape and then off to the hills for sledging.

In many ways it brings back happy childhood memories for me, probably explains why i enjoy it so much.